Mesa De Anguila Trail is a 9.2 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.2 km Elevation Gain: 288 m Route Type: Loop

Great trail and well-marked with cairns throughout. This follows the AllTrails Trail marking but goes well beyond to just underneath Canyon Flag along the USGS marked trail. Beautiful views across Mesa into Mexico. Took about 4 hours with stops under a heavy pack to make it just underneath Canyon Flag. Probably setting up camp here as there 4-6 cows, bulls and a calf are grazing on the trail about 200 yards ahead.

Climb ends about 1.8 miles in. Great view of Lajitas from top. Mesa scenery doesn’t change after climb.

I did a three-day backpack with a basecamp maybe a quarter-mile beyond the saddled and then one day went all the way out to Tinaja Blanca. The hardest part of this hike is the steep climb up to the saddle. After that it's a fairly flat trail with some gently rolling washes along the way and pretty well cairned and obvious, at least til right before Mariposa. LOVE the expansive views and the isolation of the Mesa!

Beautiful hike with beautiful views of Rio Grande canyons and México from the top of the initial climb. We had an 8 yr old and a 12 yr old with us and did the whole 6 miles. But in reality you could do it as a 4 mile hike and not miss much. Great hike all around!

Gorgeous hike with a serious climb. There is no shade on this route so start early or pick an overcast day. Water sources are not reliable. We found cairns along the trail helpful but finding the first 1/4 mile through the wash was the trickiest bit. We hiked to Tinaja Blanca and saw absolutely no one. Just tarantulas and some horses.

Sat May 11 2019

DONT DO THIS HIKE. THE LOOP IS A LIE. THE 14 MILES TOOK 9 HOURS TO DO. The first half was okay, and then the trail fucking disappeared. Ended up climbing down the whole ass mountain. They have these little rock formations to guide you, but they were insanely unreliable. Me and all the guys I was with agree that it was the hardest trail we've ever done, and not hard in a fun way. Also all the plants are razer sharp are trying to kill you. We are all very broken right now. If you want to do this, go up halfway and then COME BACK.

Fri May 10 2019

The 5.7-mile trail that I now see above on the map seems to represent the South side of the loop trail that is shown on my mobile app as a 14-mile loop. I really enjoyed this part of our hike(south side). The short climb at the beginning of this trail gives a rewarding view of the canyon that twists with the Rio Grande. One can also see Santa Elena Canyon to the South and other prominent points. Two thumbs up/ 5 stars! NOW if your map or mobile device shows a loop that turns around the mesa and returns to the beginning on the North side of the mesa as ours did, Beware, the trail soon fades into oblivion and becomes nearly nonexistent even when standing next to one of the few cairns. Forging our own trail, weaving up and down the steep slope in search of the least problematic path our pace slowed significantly. Using the phone app twice guided us back from a trajectory that would have left us far off course and traveling the wrong direction. I'm not an expert, but I have participated for decades in BSA activities and have military training that includes navigation and map reading. Professionally I have worked as an RN then as a CRNA since 1995. My oldest son who is a Marine and Paramedic/Firefighter was also a member of our group. Again, we are not experts, but if the temperature which was hot would have been hotter than anticipated or if we had not left the vehicle fully hydrated and packing 4 liters of water each, or if I had not brought the triple charge phone case we could have been in real trouble. Skilled, and prepared hikers may fare better, but If the novice or unprepared hiker starts the 14-mile loop not knowing what awaits they could have more pain and problems than we did.

Fri May 03 2019

Excellent trail! Can be a little hard to follow until you enter NP boundaries (about .30 miles in). Follow the cairns and track your route on AllTrails! The accent up the Mesa is brutal but quick. Only did a 3 mile out and back trail run. Stellar views and no one else around.

Mon Jan 07 2019

Great weather January 3rd to do the first portion of this trail. We walked to the trailhead from Lajitas Resort. We went to the top of the first section to look at the Rio Grand. Very nice view!

Fri Jan 04 2019

This was a fantastic evening hike. We started on the North side from the trail head near Lajitas Golf Resort. It was quite a steep trek up to the plateau but once we reached the top, my partner and I were warmly welcomed with a phenomenal 360 degree view looking down- directly into Mexico across the Rio Grande. We started from the base (north side) at 4:15pm and were down, back to the trail head by 6:00pm.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Took 8 hours (6:15 walking and 1:45 of breaks) with a decent pace (4km/h avg). We started with the south and came back by the north. On the north, the trail is super hard to find. We were a group of experienced hikers, and got lost several times / had to really look for the cairns. You need to come with a detailed map of the area, a GPS / compass, and flashlights / warm clothes in case it takes longer than planned. The south is the best part so you can do a back and forth rather than the full loop. And don't forget sunscreen, even if cloudy!

Mon Nov 19 2018

I wish I could review the South separate from the North.The South trail is well-marked. There is one section that is steep but once you reach the plateau all is relatively flat. The South side is a different story. As we made the loop around for the return, the trail was well marked but soon became faint or non-existent. We followed the app and would come across a random cairn after weaving up and down the loose stone-covered, cactus-covered slope. But could not find further linking cairns or a trail to follow. As it was getting dark, we decided to give up on the app and the trail and just get into the wash and follow that out figuring it would meet up with the larger one at the start. Luckily, we had headlamps and warm clothing. Parts of the wash have thick stands of Cat-claw acacia which grabs onto you. Saw a group of Collared Peccary. Took nearly 10 hours to get back in the cold and darkness. Though the app didn't help with much of the north slope, it did keep us going in the right direction and when we should start looking for the cairns where the two trails converged to get back to the trailhead. Unless you want to do your own trail finding, I would not attempt the north just do south as an out and back.

Mon Oct 29 2018

Very beautiful hike. Take plenty of water.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Trouble on north side of loop The small trailhead map I obtained at the State Park headquarters in Lajitas was very helpful in finding the trailhead on the outskirts of town. I solo hiked out on the south side of the loop, camped over night at +/- mile 8.5; hiked back on the north side of the loop. The north trail is where I ran into trouble. From the gravel parking lot, followed the dry creek-bed & cairns. Then the trials branched off. I took the 1st one to the left, up a small hill over the N'l Park boundary fence. Upon my return I realized it was simpler to originally keep going down the dry stream bed a short distance & the main trail angles to the left. I then started climbing up the very steep switchbacks to the top. Here I meet few day hikers coming back down. Here the trial is well worn, very clear with many, many large cairns. The views are great from the top. Up to now the trail app GPS was right on. About mile 5 I came upon the trail to the right to Santa Elena Canyon. I met two groups of folks in this area heading back down to end their hike or for more water. According to the app, my loop trail was to curve off to the left after that intersection. I spent +/-20 minutes trying to find the trail & finally cut across country through a ravine up to the top. On top I used the app gps & did re-find the trail. Later I found a level spot with only light rock covering the ground. I cleaned off a spot & set up camp about an hour before dark The next morning I started off on the clearly marked trail. According to the app I had about 5.5 miles to complete the hike. This proved to be incorrect. According to the app, I had been averaging 2.5 mph. I had set up a pick up at the trail head at Noon which would been right. Within a mile or so I entered a rock gully. Here the trail disappeared. I made my way through it & kept referring to the app, the official trail map & did pick up the trail again. Here the trail w as well trod with ample cairns. I turned my phone off to save my backup battery As I crested the ridge I saw that the trail continued straight ahead, was well trod & I could see many cairns. I descended & was climbing up the next rise (there are so many of these up & downs on the north side). I stopped for a break & water & turned my phone on to check my gps. Although I was on the very clear trail I had seen earlier, the GPS showed I was 1/4 mile too far north. I backtracked with the app & found I had missed a very faint 90 degree trail that headed west. It's first cairn was very small & about 200' west. I lined the intersection with rocks for the next person to see it clearly From here I found a trail about 60% of the time but no trail about 40% of the time. The mileage was longer than indicated too. If totaled up, I probably spent an extra hour searching for the trail or the best way around the numerous gullies & the climbs out. Many of these were deep & steep. Often I climbed up & around. The brush on this side was much thicker & II ended up with numerous scratches below my hiking shorts. I had carried in 2.5 gallons of water & had rationed it. But since the distance was longer than stated & I finally completed the hike at +/- 3PM ( not Noon). I drank half the water the second day I wanted. I was sipping instead of drinking. My first two days at BBNP, I Group hiked with my family & "bagged" two peaks. Now I was on my fourth day of hiking. With the very rugged back country, the continued elevation gain & loss, the millions of loose rock under foot & low water; I was tiring. Fortunately my cell coverage returned the last half of this last day hike. I texted my pickup family that I would be late in returning. Towards the end the trail became dependable again & my family met me about 1.5 miles from the end with Gatorade & water. In all, a very challenging but rewarding hike that I would do again. I would definitely study the north, "backside" more before departing. NOTE- on day one of this hike, one of the returning groups I met said they had hiked the north side before & "it was fun". I so wish I had asked, " and what does 'fun' mean"?

recorded Recording - May 26, 10:52 am