Mae Simmons Outer Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(130)
Mae Simmons Park

Mae Simmons Outer Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lubbock, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 308 feet Route Type: Loop

It was overall a good easy trail. Pretty scenic with small water flow.

bridge out

Good trail for hill training! Lot’s of trash tho.

Good trail but had lots of broken glass in some parts.

I’ve done this trail both biking and walking. It’s fun and nice change of pace if you live in Lubbock. The trail is pretty confusing on which trail to take in parts but you have to follow the color of trail you want to be on (there is a map near the lake down the hill from sunrise canyon facility). CONS- The area has a decent amount of trash and when you’re walking you will see some broken glass and smell some sewage. I really wouldn’t be in this area towards night time. I’ve had a few run ins with sketchy people. The flow of the trail while biking take a while to get used to. PROS- best trail in Lubbock in my opinion. Somewhat scenic. The prairie dogs are everywhere! It’s really a good place to get out and walk! Again, I wouldn’t be over here when the sun is going down.

Thu May 30 2019

Be careful of rattlesnakes on this trail, I came close to stepping on one that was hanging out by the narrow track near the 'flume' yesterday. I see people out there walking dogs and jogging -- I wouldn't do either of those things, except on the very wide trails where everything is visible. I won't go on the narrow trail without snake boots (and of course watch out for and yield to mountain bikers). This snake didn't take off like most do, after I nudged it off the trail with a stick it went to a nearby tree and stood up and rattled away until I left it. I saw a smaller one (not sure of type) just a few away from that one as I was heading out. I was going to come back that direction, but that changed my mind and took the long way. In a dozen years of hiking this trail, hundreds of miles, I've only seen about 5 live rattlesnakes, and a few more dead ones. They are not common, but one could ruin your day if you are not careful.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Ok just got off the trail got attacked by three dogs two were a male. And female bull mastiff they happened to grab the female but the male was in full attack. Lucky he saw me a little late so I was able to gain some speed and I was on flat road. The other black dog I just happen to be going down hill as well so I was able to put run the dog what a lucky day. Wow scary

Mon Feb 25 2019

I brought my dog and I felt so bad for her, there were stickers everywhere and she kept getting them in her paws. I do not recommend bringing your dog, other than that, it was in a nice area.