Lower Sunset Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(30)
Franklin Mountains State Park

Lower Sunset Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,043 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Hike through a desert valley along the Lower sunset Trail. Park in picnic area 1-5. Hike west on the paved road to the trailhead kiosk. Follow the trail west and down-hill to about 0.65 miles where the trail will turn north (right). Continue north on the trail. The trail will wind in and out of the arroyos. At the fork, hikers and novice bikers take the right side.

I have walked this trail several times and I always enjoy the beautiful views of the Franklin mountains and the desert vegetation. Today I did it with four of my friends and only completed half of the path but we had a good time.

Tue Feb 26 2019

Great little hike to loop 3 and back.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Great for single running, nice areas in it where you can get lost in your thoughts or just openly jam to your music. I recommend this trail , just be aware of the turns because it's easy to miss them

Sun Jun 03 2018

I thought it was a fairly easy trail for hiking. My friend’s young son (about 10 yrs old) joined us and he had no issues doing it. For mountain biking though I do feel it would be a much harder trail. Saw some pretty cool fossils.

Sun Apr 22 2018

Gnarly and fun

Fri Feb 16 2018

This was a great trail. We did not necessarily find it hard. We did get a little off track which we got in about an extra mile. We ended up on Schaffer trail and looped it into our walk ending up at the start of the upper sunset so we just walked back down to the lower sunset trail and finished the trail back out. The hardest part is loose rocks and hiking back up and out. So total we got about 9.16 miles out of it.

Mon Apr 10 2017

This is a difficult trail. We started with the little off shoot that's listed as the "beginner trail" Its a good warm up and is pretty easy. Hardest part about it is some of the loose rock in some of the turns making it easy to wash the front end out. Heres a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHFguIMyhs After that we continue on the long loop taking the right fork a few miles in that says its the easier of the two trails. Id hate to see the harder part! Holy cow it was technical and had a lot of rocks! The climb out was very tiring. It gets steep and really rocky. The trail ends at the top of the park road at pavilion # 39. If I do it again, I will start at the top and ride it backwards so theres a little more downhill. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DsCbNRWSA

Mon Feb 20 2017

Great round trip trail. We took the 1st shortcut and came back around. It says it's a hard trail but where we went it is actually easy. It could be very long if you go all the way around.

Sun May 15 2016

We walked a classic trail in the heart of the Franklin Mountains. It is difficult to say how many times we have visited the place. Never the less, it was a pleasure to do it again. The trail is rather long than difficult, around 9 miles with a change in altitude close to 800 feet. To complete the loop that was part of our path, we used a portion of an old trail. Strong winds accompanied us all the time. This fact put some pressure in the journey but bring the benefit of keep yourself cool. We enjoyed the white thorn acacias in bloom with their tiny yellow flowers. The prickly pears are starting to show their beautiful flowers. I know that we will be back again.

Sun Nov 29 2015

Views were better than expected.

recorded Recording - May 29, 01:33 PM