Lost Mine Trail

Lost Mine Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Basin Junction, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The lost mine trail serves as an outstanding introduction the flora and fauna of the Chisos Mountains, only 1 mile into the hike their is a saddle offering stunning views of Casa Grande and Juniper Canyon. The remainder of the trail climbs steeply in and out of juniper, oak, and pine forest. The trail abruptly levels out at the ridge with superb views of Pine Canyon and the Sierra del Carmen in Mexico.

The girlfriend and I took this hike last week and it was fantastic. We’re amateurs in the hiking game and found this trail to be everything we hoped long, for us, slightly challenging, and scenic. Ran into a few grazing whitetail deer along the way a couple times who weren’t fazed one bit by our intrusion adding to the experience.

Not the best trail in Big Bend - that goes to Emory Peak & South Rim... but if you're after a shorter hike with outstanding views, do this one. Go very early or late afternoon and avoid the crowds. If you have a torch, sunset from the top is nice.

Amazing views, hard on out of shape legs, but definitely worth it.

This trail is amazing, we did this with our toddler in the carrier. The trail is shaded and steep in some places but worth is. Many places to rest and enjoy the view, is totally worth the time and effort.

Nice short hike with some serious pay off! Great views!

We hiked this trail in evening, with the setting sun behind us, it made for some incredible views. However, it’s gets dark very fast as a lot of the Trail is covered by foliage. I preferred this trail over The Window, it was great!

Wonderful view from the top! Just beautiful

One of the best high dessert hikes in the US. The trails' pitch isn't unreasonable. Anyone in reasonable shape could leisurely stroll up in an a couple hours and down in half the time. There are remarkable vistas through the entire trail. Crowds are much thinner in the morning.

Great hike with great views.

Saw a bear!

This trail is not to be missed. It was closed due to bear activity and opened the last day I was at Big Bend. The views were spectacular and I’m so glad that I got to soak them in.

Great hike. Not super hard and great view at the end. We got to the trailhead early and saw it pay off as there was no parking left in the parking lot when we got back at 10am.

Beautiful views and very steady incline making it fairly easy to crest with a steady pace.

The views at the top of the hike are worth the switchbacks.

Best hike in the park. I saw a black bear on the trail at the top Saturday, November 12, 2017.

Great day trail!! It is well marked and you have plenty of traffic for reassurance. It is a MUST when visiting Big Bend. BEAUTIFUL.

This was my wife and I first hike in big bend. very beautiful.

really loved this hike. it's a relatively short hike with big payoffs almost immediately. it took us about 1 hr 15 mins to make up and 1 hr back down. we started at 7 am, stayed at the top for about an hour and made it back down a little past 10am. there were 2 other on the trail when we were hiking up. when we came down, saw another 10. this trail is so beautiful, it was a beautiful day, surprised not that many on this trail. I absolutely recommend it! you won't be disappointed!

Loved this trail! The views were amazing!

Great hike! I can see why it's so popular. Lots of uphill (1000ft-2.2miles), but worth the climb. The 360 degree views from the top are spectacular. Be prepared to see more people on this trail than other hikes in the park.