Lost Mine Trail

Lost Mine Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Terlinguo, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The lost mine trail serves as an outstanding introduction the flora and fauna of the Chisos Mountains, only 1 mile into the hike their is a saddle offering stunning views of Casa Grande and Juniper Canyon. The remainder of the trail climbs steeply in and out of juniper, oak, and pine forest. The trail abruptly levels out at the ridge with superb views of Pine Canyon and the Sierra del Carmen in Mexico.

Great trail to start off Big Bend with for me, nice and easy climb to the summit, great views from the top, I did hike in middle of July with about a 4:30pm start in 98 degree heat, only drank 2 liters of water. Hike was fairly quick but I did spend a lot of time up top with my GoPro. Definitely recommend this for even the beginner hiker.

Steep at times, this is a nice trail with some great views towards the end. People afraid of heights will be ok, they just might not want to stand to close to the edges. Lots of switchbacks, but nothing too serious. Small parking lot, so get there early to get a spot and avoid the crowds. We passed tons of people on our way down.

Second time doing this hike. The most popular in Big Bend for good reason! One of my favorite parts is if you hike early you get to be in the shade for most of the hike- which is a rarity in the park. Our five year old kids were able to complete it on their own (with minimal cajoling).

Enjoyable moderately easy hike. Can be done quickly but best with several stops along the way as it offers several great views along the route. Nothing treacherous along the way and the views at the top are great!

Beautiful hike. Wonderful views on the summit. I'm 58 years old and took several breaks on the way up and made the climb just fine. Do expect a slightly steeper and more difficult path grade near the top. This is my favorite trail in the park!

Great trail!

Did this with my entire family, ranging in age from 24 to 64. Great hike, manageable with beautiful views at the end. Plan to finish by 4 pm as it can get foggy or rainy and obscure the views.

My favorite trail at Big Bend. If you can only go a mile - do it! Great views. Get there early - the too small parking lot fills up fast.

Stunning views from the top! Steady climb up but plenty of rest points with benches to take a water break and enjoy the different view points.

Beautiful views all the way up as the sun rises through the early morning. The views from the top offer long distance vistas as well as much closer interesting geological shapes. The volume of trees growing in the shaded canyon to the east of the very top trail was an interesting surprise.

Beautiful trail with open, unobstructed views. Trail well maintained even with heavy foot traffic .

Start before sunrise for amazing views.

It’s a great hike great views!

This trail was very well maintained and marked. The views were very nice especially about a third of the way up. But the best view was at the top. We were in no rush to come down.

Best moderate trail in Big Bend National Park. Great views from the top. Limited parking at TH. In peak season, lot fills up early (an hour after sunrise). We did the hike on 3/24/18.

Fantastic trail with great views!

This is a phenomenal trail. The view at the top and along the way is awesome. Parking is limited so go in the morning. Also there's almost no shade so go early to avoid overheating.

I was nervous before doing this and reading all reviews. I am a 30 year old that is a smoker and overweight and haven’t worked out in months. I did this trail had to stop a few times but other than that an overweight smoker can definitely do it! Totally worth it! Lots of stopping points to enjoy views. The best one is definitely from the top!

We are new to the hiking game and a little out of shape in our late 40’s so it was hard on the legs trying to keep up with the teens. That said the views were stunning!

Great family hike. On the trail at 8:30am. 8-10 year olds all made it without complaints. 3 hours round trip. Big fun!!!

Slightly challenging, awesome views at the top. Worth every second.

The views from the top are incredible.

The girlfriend and I took this hike last week and it was fantastic. We’re amateurs in the hiking game and found this trail to be everything we hoped long, for us, slightly challenging, and scenic. Ran into a few grazing whitetail deer along the way a couple times who weren’t fazed one bit by our intrusion adding to the experience.

Not the best trail in Big Bend - that goes to Emory Peak & South Rim... but if you're after a shorter hike with outstanding views, do this one. Go very early or late afternoon and avoid the crowds. If you have a torch, sunset from the top is nice.

Amazing views, hard on out of shape legs, but definitely worth it.

This trail is amazing, we did this with our toddler in the carrier. The trail is shaded and steep in some places but worth is. Many places to rest and enjoy the view, is totally worth the time and effort.

Nice short hike with some serious pay off! Great views!

We hiked this trail in evening, with the setting sun behind us, it made for some incredible views. However, it’s gets dark very fast as a lot of the Trail is covered by foliage. I preferred this trail over The Window, it was great!

Wonderful view from the top! Just beautiful

One of the best high dessert hikes in the US. The trails' pitch isn't unreasonable. Anyone in reasonable shape could leisurely stroll up in an a couple hours and down in half the time. There are remarkable vistas through the entire trail. Crowds are much thinner in the morning.