Lost Maples East Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Vanderpool, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The route begins on the "Maples Trail" on the Sabinal River. There is a short stint through boulders below a cliff. Then a wide meandering primitive road that crosses and recrosses this mostly dry or very shallow river, often below a canopy of maples. Elaborately carved cliffs, including "The Grotto" with its fern-festooned drip springs, are attractions. A steep, rock-covered ascent to the caprock provides some "rock 'n roll". On top, an overlook of the central valley entry of the Park. Another overlook down a sheer cliff into the Can Creek canyon and the campground at "The Pond" and its dam. Next a steep rock-'n-rolly road descending to The Pond. The route crosses the dam and bypasses some small waterfalls below the dam. Then a couple of foot-stone crossings of Can Creek and a view of a hawk's nest on the cliffs as you return on a primitive road back to the start point at the picnic grounds on the Sabinal River. Site of annual volksmarch and daily YRE walk.

4 mile hike. was steep in some areas. has to stop and rest. had to cross a few creeks. one climb was tough and the decent was steep. definitely worth it. the view was beautiful

great trail! some steep areas and long upward climb but a beautiful view. definitely worth it .

Great trail with stunning views and plenty of contour. Three caveats: 1. You will get your feet wet crossing the stream in several places. 2. There are long stretches with no shade, so it can get brutally hot. We baked here in early November. And 3: it is crowded here in the fall, even during the week. That said, we really enjoyed this hike. Took us 3 hours.

We did this hike at a very leisurely pace and stopped to play in the streams and fall foliage so it took us about 3 hours to complete. The leaves had started turning (first weekend of November) and it was pretty but probably in two weeks time more reds will start coming out. It was a good distance and fun walking through streams with some uphill parts which made it slightly more challenging. Try to go early in the morning (I think park opens at 8?) to ensure you’ll get in. We went around noon and the park was completely full so we spent some time at the winery down the road which was also beautiful. On the way back we tried our luck to get in and were lucky enough to get in but if you’re only there for a day I wouldn’t risk it. I would also suggest hiking it in water shoes or teva/Chaco type sandals. A friend of ours went in tennies but another friend and I got to walk through all the streams with our tevas which made for a very refreshing trip. A nice little gem in the Texas hill country!

Amazing scenery and wonderful hiking trails. The trees (early November) were already starting to be yellow, orange, and even some red. Well worth the trip from Austin for our 9.41 miles! (This trail + part of West trail to the spring, then down the East-West trail)

East trail loop was exponentially better than the west, in my opinion. Great place to stay if Garner is booked up. It usually is.

We covered about 8 miles. The sun was a beast in some areas. I thought it was more than a moderate trial.

A great, challenging hike. There’s a solid half mile of uneven terrain with a 25% grade. Leave the pups at home and bring your trekking poles! The large steps can be really hard on the knees.

Deceptively challenging for a short hike, at least in June when temps are reaching upper 90's. The East trail to me is an easier hike than the West trail, but both are stacked to some degree with loose, jagged rock, so watching your step is crucial. There are a few nice little lookouts, but I mostly enjoyed the wildlife that abounds here. I saw armadillos, squirrels, many types of small lizards, garter and water snakes, Guadeloupe bass, sunfish, butterflies, painted bunting, flycatchers, warblers, Ravens and a red tailed hawk.

There are many beautiful dripping springs from limestone cliffs in the area. There are high, hot hilltops covered in prairie scrub brushes and cactus as well as deeper, cooler and densely green areas near the creek beds. The best part... it isn't crowded! Enjoyed it.

It was my first time there. It was a nice hike. We took our dog and he loved it. It was nice walking through the water since it was a hot day!

We had a great time! It was beautiful and our kids loved it! We did the east trail, my husband with our 2 yr old on his back and I with a 5 month old on mine, while our 2 boys followed and they all were able to handle to steep incline as we made our way up the hill! When we got to the top it was breath taking! We will be returning to explore more

Great trail, loved swimming in the river for a cool down after a very hot hike! Make sure to bring enough water, the scramble up isn't horrible but it will cause a great leg workout!

We only did the westernmost nook of the trail that leads up the hill (MOUNTAIN) from Campsite C. And holy moly, is it a tough nut to crack—little coverage from the sun, lots of loose and/or slick rock underfoot, and over a quarter mile of steep uphill battle. But! The overlook was lovely and we were glad we made the effort. Heard the rest of the trail was very popular so we stuck to the higher and more isolated high grounds near Campsite E on the West Loop trail.

I went to the day use area on the east side of the park. From there, we went down the river and up the east side of the gorge. The hike up was steep. Once on top, you crest and remain there for 30 mins of hiking. You then hike down, and there are lots of loose rocks. When you get to the opposite side gorge where the river is deeper (camping area C), it’s gorgeous.

I recommend you do the east loop trail, and then take a hard right and conquer the west loop. You will need 6-8 hours of daylight.

The gorges are beautiful and well shaded by the maple trees.

Awesome hike! Definitely gets a little intense and steep. The whole way is pretty rocky but overall it’s a pretty moderate. I really enjoyed it!

Great hike especially in the spring with the flowers blooming.

was just there yesterday... beautiful. kind of strayed off the path a bit and discovered some really beautiful areas

Beautiful trail,

Loved it definitely planning a trip again soon!

Thursday, November 09, 2017

We went today and the trail was good! But it's a lot tougher than I imagined and some parts were very steep. It was also rainy and cold so that didn't help much. But other than that, the hike went well and the park wasn't very crowded on a Wednesday morning! :)

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Not very crowded on a Monday morning during peak fall season. Lots of color starting to show. The trail was nicely maintained and generally easy to hike. A couple sections of steep rocky terrain, but not too challenging. Brought our two dogs who had a blast. A very nice hike in general.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Beautiful trail. It's a bit tougher than I expected but we hiked this one after completing the west loop and the 2 mile loop off that one. Pretty busy, too! And a few primitive camping spots along the way.
According to my Fitbit : 13.5 miles and 101 floors climbed for the entire trail system. *whew!*

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great area! Starts off very slow and flat, but quickly becomes steep and rocky. Great feeling when you make it to the top, and a great stop for lunch. I don't recommend doing the 1/3 miles hike to the scenic overlook at the top, its not worth it at all - anything but scenic or an overlook. Make sure to stop at monkey rock

Monday, April 24, 2017

Gorgeous hike, but definitely a moderate trail

Monday, February 20, 2017

I did the full loop, West trail to east trail. great hike, lots of variety and some fun scrambling/boulder hopping. About 8 miles all together. Stunning views from the ridge really reward the climb up. I had gorgeous weather, too.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Despite the rain (and almost all of the maple leaves being on the ground) it was an enjoyable hike. The East trail was a bit more of a challenge with the water running down the trail. Monkey rock was well worth visiting. Looking forward to going back in the Spring to see all the new life blooming.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Decent views. Monkey rock was pretty cool. Massive amount of butterflies in early September. Wading across streams was refreshing.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

My husband and I did this hike 3 years ago in the fall and loved it. The fallen maple leaves everywhere were beautiful. We brought out dog along too. there is a steep incline with white rocks in the direct sun. we didn't realize the rocks were as hot as they were and once we reached the top/dirt again, our dog refused to walk. The pads of his feet had blistered and rubbed completely off from the hot rocks! We felt terrible of course. Bandaged him up, camped over night at the top and hiked back down the next morning with him in my husbands backpack. He's 45lbs! It was an experience we'll never forget. So moral of the story is "be aware of hot rocks when you decide to bring your pups along!"

Thursday, June 02, 2016

My favorite Texas hike thus far (even though it was not Fall). Combination of riparian areas and sweeping vistas from atop the ridgeline make this hike worth the work. Unique geologic formations and plant communities are worthy of exploration. Trails were well maintained and the park was not crowded (am certain it is crowded in the Fall). Bring plenty of water and proper footwear (you will need to protect your ankles on steep ascent and descent).