Lost Maples East Trail Loop

Lost Maples East Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Vanderpool, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The route begins on the "Maples Trail" on the Sabinal River. There is a short stint through boulders below a cliff. Then a wide meandering primitive road that crosses and recrosses this mostly dry or very shallow river, often below a canopy of maples. Elaborately carved cliffs, including "The Grotto" with its fern-festooned drip springs, are attractions. A steep, rock-covered ascent to the caprock provides some "rock 'n roll". On top, an overlook of the central valley entry of the Park. Another overlook down a sheer cliff into the Can Creek canyon and the campground at "The Pond" and its dam. Next a steep rock-'n-rolly road descending to The Pond. The route crosses the dam and bypasses some small waterfalls below the dam. Then a couple of foot-stone crossings of Can Creek and a view of a hawk's nest on the cliffs as you return on a primitive road back to the start point at the picnic grounds on the Sabinal River. Site of annual volksmarch and daily YRE walk.

It was my first time there. It was a nice hike. We took our dog and he loved it. It was nice walking through the water since it was a hot day!

We had a great time! It was beautiful and our kids loved it! We did the east trail, my husband with our 2 yr old on his back and I with a 5 month old on mine, while our 2 boys followed and they all were able to handle to steep incline as we made our way up the hill! When we got to the top it was breath taking! We will be returning to explore more

Great trail, loved swimming in the river for a cool down after a very hot hike! Make sure to bring enough water, the scramble up isn't horrible but it will cause a great leg workout!

We only did the westernmost nook of the trail that leads up the hill (MOUNTAIN) from Campsite C. And holy moly, is it a tough nut to crack—little coverage from the sun, lots of loose and/or slick rock underfoot, and over a quarter mile of steep uphill battle. But! The overlook was lovely and we were glad we made the effort. Heard the rest of the trail was very popular so we stuck to the higher and more isolated high grounds near Campsite E on the West Loop trail.

I went to the day use area on the east side of the park. From there, we went down the river and up the east side of the gorge. The hike up was steep. Once on top, you crest and remain there for 30 mins of hiking. You then hike down, and there are lots of loose rocks. When you get to the opposite side gorge where the river is deeper (camping area C), it’s gorgeous.

I recommend you do the east loop trail, and then take a hard right and conquer the west loop. You will need 6-8 hours of daylight.

The gorges are beautiful and well shaded by the maple trees.

Awesome hike! Definitely gets a little intense and steep. The whole way is pretty rocky but overall it’s a pretty moderate. I really enjoyed it!

Great hike especially in the spring with the flowers blooming.

was just there yesterday... beautiful. kind of strayed off the path a bit and discovered some really beautiful areas

Beautiful trail,

Loved it definitely planning a trip again soon!

We went today and the trail was good! But it's a lot tougher than I imagined and some parts were very steep. It was also rainy and cold so that didn't help much. But other than that, the hike went well and the park wasn't very crowded on a Wednesday morning! :)

Not very crowded on a Monday morning during peak fall season. Lots of color starting to show. The trail was nicely maintained and generally easy to hike. A couple sections of steep rocky terrain, but not too challenging. Brought our two dogs who had a blast. A very nice hike in general.

Beautiful trail. It's a bit tougher than I expected but we hiked this one after completing the west loop and the 2 mile loop off that one. Pretty busy, too! And a few primitive camping spots along the way.
According to my Fitbit : 13.5 miles and 101 floors climbed for the entire trail system. *whew!*

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great area! Starts off very slow and flat, but quickly becomes steep and rocky. Great feeling when you make it to the top, and a great stop for lunch. I don't recommend doing the 1/3 miles hike to the scenic overlook at the top, its not worth it at all - anything but scenic or an overlook. Make sure to stop at monkey rock

Monday, April 24, 2017

Gorgeous hike, but definitely a moderate trail

Monday, February 20, 2017

I did the full loop, West trail to east trail. great hike, lots of variety and some fun scrambling/boulder hopping. About 8 miles all together. Stunning views from the ridge really reward the climb up. I had gorgeous weather, too.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Despite the rain (and almost all of the maple leaves being on the ground) it was an enjoyable hike. The East trail was a bit more of a challenge with the water running down the trail. Monkey rock was well worth visiting. Looking forward to going back in the Spring to see all the new life blooming.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Decent views. Monkey rock was pretty cool. Massive amount of butterflies in early September. Wading across streams was refreshing.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

My husband and I did this hike 3 years ago in the fall and loved it. The fallen maple leaves everywhere were beautiful. We brought out dog along too. there is a steep incline with white rocks in the direct sun. we didn't realize the rocks were as hot as they were and once we reached the top/dirt again, our dog refused to walk. The pads of his feet had blistered and rubbed completely off from the hot rocks! We felt terrible of course. Bandaged him up, camped over night at the top and hiked back down the next morning with him in my husbands backpack. He's 45lbs! It was an experience we'll never forget. So moral of the story is "be aware of hot rocks when you decide to bring your pups along!"

Thursday, June 02, 2016

My favorite Texas hike thus far (even though it was not Fall). Combination of riparian areas and sweeping vistas from atop the ridgeline make this hike worth the work. Unique geologic formations and plant communities are worthy of exploration. Trails were well maintained and the park was not crowded (am certain it is crowded in the Fall). Bring plenty of water and proper footwear (you will need to protect your ankles on steep ascent and descent).

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Lost Maples State Park was such a treat to hike, and for us, a hidden gem. Everyone knows that you go to Lost Maples for fall colors. But the purple mountain laurels that grow in springtime are so fragrant that, especially once you reach the highest elevation of the east loop trail, the scent is overwhelming. The waters were also crystal clear, which I guess I didn't expect... though to be honest, we didn't expect any water, so this was a treat!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Great trail, a bit rocky when going up the hill, but worth it for the beautiful scenery.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Finally, a Texas trail that was somewhat challenging with some elevation gain and loss. This, together with the West Trail Loop make for a challenging and tiring day.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Beautiful views!!! Pretty long hike due to the steep trails, but absolutely worth it :)

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Beautiful but challenging in places...There is still fall color in trees as of early Dec this year but the titular maples have already dropped their leaves for the yr...

Thursday, November 06, 2014

This was a great hike on a Thursday, we combined some of the West loop in with our east loop track. The trees were just starting to turn and it was quiet for most of the trek. I will definitely go back to this spot, maybe next week when the trees are really turning. I also really enjoyed the water along most of the hike.

Monday, November 18, 2013

I just returned from Lost Maples yesterday. It was great! Fall colors like I've never seen in Texas before. It's been over 18 years since I was there last and the colors were nothing like this last weekend. Highly recommend if you've never gone and the Texas Parks service website is spot on to say come during the week if you can. The crowds were definitely there Saturday 11/16.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lost Maples SNA is beautiful in the Fall. The East trail was too barren for my liking although the view of the Sabinal is beautiful once you get to the top. The West Trail is much prettier and offers plenty of shade which is needed in TX.

Terrain on the East Trail is rocky and getting to the top is tough no matter which way you approach it due to the boulders on one side, or the landslide of rocks on the other.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Great trail with lots of shade and always has water in the stream for the dogs. We do this trail at least once per month.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Great trail. Love going here when leaves are changing colors!