Lost Dog Trail Loop

Lost Dog Trail Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near El Paso, Texas that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not very challenging but a nice hike through the scenery. I loved that they have trail maps at the parking area. I was able to pick my route while I was hiking, using the map. Had a lot of time left so I went to the Aztec Caves after, which are only a 7mile drive away. Nice area!

This very nice trail, it is not to steep and although several sections are rocky, not difficult to walk. On the way up you have beautiful vistas of the Franklin Mountains, just in front of me the North Franklin Mountain and the Mammoth looked wonderful. On the way down I also enjoyed the beautiful vistas of the west side of El Paso and also part of the Juarez mountains. Instead of turning to the right at the end of the Lechuguilla Trail as shown on the map, I walked by the Grim Path and I reached the intersection with the Transmountain Road (Loop 375). Then on my way back, I turned to the left at the Luchuguilla Trailhead and followed the loop trail. This made my trip a bit longer but I completed the whole trail. This was a wonderful hike!

This trail definitely makes you work in spots. It’s beautiful, though. All the ocotillo and lechuguilla are in bloom and I saw hummingbirds. The ascent is tough, downhill is a blast!!!! BTW, the address is on Redd road there are signs and a trail sign which is a dog shape. There is a little gravel parking area.