Lone Star Hiking Trail and Little Lake Creek Trail

Lone Star Hiking Trail and Little Lake Creek Trail is a 13.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Richards, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

The Lone Star Hiking Trail is continuously marked with aluminum tree blazes and mile markers. It is well-maintained by several clubs, including the Houston Sierra Club and LSHT Club. Currently, the only major trail obstacle is the downed bridge over the East Fork of the San Jacinto River in the Magnolia Section (the river here can be crossed on a fallen log or by fording; it is about thigh deep and slow-flowing normally). There are ten sections of trail broken up by road crossings where there are usually free trailhead parking areas. The trail is popular among thru-hikers, who seek to hike the entire length in one continuous trek. There are several places to resupply, the most popular being Huntsville State Park about mid-way along the route. The trail is mostly flat to gently rolling; it can be muddy after heavy rains, but only in limited sections. Most of the tread is over sandy soil and stay dry. The forest is very diverse, a mix of pine and hardwood. Creeks are common, most of which are seasonal but some of which are larger and offer good wildlife sighting opportunities. The trail is a hidden jewel in East Texas, the only long distance trail in the state and a treasure of hiking adventures for any age or experience level. It is best hiked in the fall, winter and spring, as summers tend to be hot, muggy and buggy.

I started my hike at Double Lake, my plan was to hike the Double Lake Trail, however, i found out the Double Lake trail is mostly for mountain bikers. I decided to hike the Lone Star Trail instead and I was not disappointed. This is nice trail. I did an in and out just to try it out and I enjoyed my experience. I did not come across any other hikers and it was nice quiet hike.

Live near here and enjoy this trail often!! From TH #1 on Little Lake Creek Loop Trail, all the way to the Sand Branch Trail (about 6-7 miles), and finally on the Lonestar Hiking Trail back to TH #1 is a great 13 mile hike. Relatively shaded from TX sun and mostly a flat trail, minus small creeks and ditches. Great way to enjoy the outdoors!

Parked at Trailhead #2 and hiked north on the Little Lake Creek Loop trail up to Trailhead #1 and went back to our car via the Lonestar Hiking trail. Garmin clocked me right about 7 miles. Had a great time, really beautiful pine areas. There's plenty of fallen trees on the trail so be aware of that, many of them have bypasses but there's a few that don't. This would be a great trail to run on as it's in good shape with very few hazards. Overall great trail.

Fun trail to run on

Great scenic trail. very well marked with many natural highlights like ponds and lots of wildlife. we did this as part of a boy scouts hiking merit badge.

This was my first real hike, as I normally jog on paved trails. If you’re a novice hiker like myself, I’ve listed some of my recommendations/general observations below. To give you an idea of my fitness level, on average, I jog 10-15 miles / week.
1) Wear pants and long sleeves. There were several spots where the brush was shoulder-high with a very narrow trail. My pant legs and sleeves were snagged by thorns dozens of times. The downside to pants & long sleeves, is the heat and humidity… and good lord was it humid, I started at 8am.
2) Bring a walking stick. It doesn’t have to be some official hiking pole. I literally unscrewed the handle to a push broom in my garage before I left in the morning. Early on, the primary role of the “stick” was to knock away spider webs covering the trails. Later in the hike, it did come in handy for stabilization purposes traversing some creeks or steeper climbs, particularly as I became more fatigued. If you hike early, you’ll likely be the one clearing all the spider webs…
3) Backup socks. This may be a non-issue for many folks, but I wore some brand new hiking boots with some of those “wicking” socks. They didn’t like each other and my feet were being rubbed raw after only a few miles. I brought a backup pair of normal cotton socks and they fared much better.
4) I sprayed some “OFF” on, as I assumed the mosquitos were going to be pretty bad. Either the OFF worked great or there just weren’t many mosquitos to contend with
5) Water/Drinks. I brought/wore a 1.5 Liter Camelbak backpack and carried a 20 oz bottle of Vitamin Water to drink from first. My Camelback was nearly empty when I finished the trail. Be sure to leave “post-hike” water or drinks in your vehicle.
6) I brought some cliff bars and beef jerky to eat. I didn’t stop for a formal lunch or anything like that.
7) Maps & Cell Service. I printed and brought a couple maps, but they disintegrated in my pocket from sweat. However, I did download the maps to my phone. The cell service was spotty, certainly not reliable if you’re trying to access the internet (map). I did need the map a few times just to be sure I wasn’t making a wrong turn at the few junctions where a wrong turn is possible. Otherwise, the trail markers worked great. I did bring a cell phone backup battery, just in case. The GPS did seem to work OK.
8) Overall, it was very enjoyable.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Only hiked the first loop, it was a fairly easy hike. No spectacular view points, but a nice way to enjoy the outdoors on a sunny March day. There were a couple muddy spots and very small water crossings, but nothing challenging.

Monday, March 20, 2017

I took my Boy Scout Troop on a 24 mile, two night hike from Winter's Bayou to Iron Ore trailheads. We hiked in March and the trail was muddy, but enjoyable. There are many water crossings that have missing or damaged bridges that made for interesting crossing - but we made it across.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Long hike, but relatively flat and easy. No exciting views, but lovely surroundings. Quick and simple way to get into the outdoors and forget that you are near any roads (except for when you have to cross them)!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

It was a short jaunt during February (winter time) with the toddler, but I am curious to explore it some more! I notice some things starting to bloom and some past forest fire indications, but green trees hover above.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

it was nice. we found a good spot for yoga and lunch

Sunday, November 06, 2016

It I okay for a Texas trail. Lots of thorns on the trail. Long pants are necessary some sections needs better maintenance.

Monday, September 05, 2016

It was beautiful!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Very scenic trail. Most of it was not wide enough for two people side-by-side. I purposely went and camped overnight during rainy weather so as to really ensure I'd be the only one out there. Will definitely go back when it's dry though! Was the perfect place for peace and quiet to rid the stresses of daily life.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Got an early start, so the humidity was not too bad for the Houston area in June. Good hike. Trail was a bit over grown, but passable. Just over three hour hike. Family had fun. One of my son's even hiked it in skinny jeans... so proud.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Hot and humid in mid April, 2016. Recent rains made the trail muddy and some areas impassable.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Very, very, very boggy after rainy season. Wear pants!!! Foliage was anywhere from 3-6 feet high and some wicked thorns. Generally flat, couple of crossings that you have to get creative on.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great fun for the whole family!!!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great fun for the whole family!!!!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Lost Dog 4/17/16 name is Ginger we were hiking on little creek loop trail between Forest rd 203 and West Fork Trail just pass the creek. found on 4/18/16 in good health. about a mile away. we had 2 employees that worked for Sam Houston National Forest they open the gate on Forest road 203 so we could post flyers on the trail. I did not get their names it was a female and a male riding in a pickup checking the gates. if you see this thanks again for taking the time to help.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Easy, well marked trail....April is the perfect time to take this hike. Dog friendly. Bring water.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Backpacked the lone star star walking trail and stayed overnight. Trail was in good shape but very wet. Not very scenic mostly just pine trees.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Easy trail. There has been quite a bit of logging in this area; clean up from spring storms. Pretty wet but no areas were impassable. Creek banks are sandy so they aren't too slippery! Fun hiking day with my daughter for day after Christmas!

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Have hiked about 60 miles so far and plan to hike the rest of it soon. Great park! Very scenic!

Friday, December 18, 2015

Loved the trail. As good as it gets in that park of Texas.

Monday, July 13, 2015

We hiked near the 'mile 16' point. Great trail with a variety of different scenery: through the forest, along Lake Conroe, along a small brooke that turns into a deep ravine the further you go. I would definitely like to go back!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Had a chance on two occasions to hike parts of the trail while geocaching.
Excellent trail. Looking forward to some camping in cooler weather.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Wonderful trail for the first time backpacker, weekend camping trip or a quick walk in the woods. I love this trail and backpack every chance i get.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Not a bad trail. Recommend wearing pants since a lot of the trail isn't cleared and there is a lot of brush to walk through. Also check for ticks once you're done. Overall pretty nice though. Pleasant, mostly flat walk.

Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm a life time backpacker and have hiked this trail since its conception in 1995. I've hiked many trails in the US, but keep coming back to the LS trail because it's in my back yard. I've spent many wonderful seasons here and love to take pictures of the forest and wildlife at different times of the year. My favorite ares are Winters Byou, Big Creek, Stubble Field area, San Jacinto river area. It's one of the few areas where wildlife is abundant and the forest is healthy. I spend my winters helping to keep the trails clear and free of human trash. I also report wildlife activity to the forestry service. I'm a true wilderness lover. I hope we can enjoy this trail for many years to come. Happy hiking.