Lone Star and North Wilderness Loop Trail

Lone Star and North Wilderness Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Richards, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Good 12 mile day hike with well marked “blazes”. The footpath in some spots is definitely on par with leave no trace attitude. The flora and fauna are right in the path. Some really beautiful flower growing right along the path.

Nice Texas woodland trail. Started at Parking lot #1 about 11am stopped to camp around 5 pm along Little Lake Creek just off the trail. The next morning made the 4 miles or so to Parking lot #6. Moderate only because of some creek crossing otherwise a beautiful easy walk the the pine and oak woods. I saw 8 different group of hikes the 24 hrs I was on the trail . I just needed some easy trail to get my head right for the new year, I plan on finishing the full trail by March

Really nice fitness trail no briars!

A few creek crossings make it a little more than easy. Very easy to follow and elevation change is not bad at all. Took the dog on this one and finished with no problems.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

We prefer hills or mountains with changing scenery and terrain, but for this area this was a very nice trail, just enough roots and creek beds to make it more interesting than just a walk.

Monday, March 20, 2017

We got 8.42 miles hiking the North Wilderness Loop from Trailhead 3 to 2 and back via the LSHT.
Very narrow trail! Very "snakey" - I mean I fully expected to see many snakes along the way because of the overgrowth and many fallen trees along it. Thankfully did not see one on this beautiful warm day.
Yesterday we hiked the Richard's Loop and found it currently burn cleared. I hope they clear this one soon. Still, we enjoyed it. There are a few difficult places to cross - especially for a short girl like me, lol. But it's doable when dry to getting dry like today.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

I started at 3rd parking lot (mile 8) and hiked all the at back to my car at Huntsville state park. Used Huntsville taxi ,Margie for shuttle. Trail was well marked. Way too boring. Too much sameness. Lakes were pretty. Saw no wildlife and only 3 people in 25 miles. I will not go back.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

This trail was a decent trail with not a whole lot to look at. A good place to go camping but this isn't what you are looking for if you love to hike or backpack.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I've been twice now and both times were pretty muddy, so maybe leave the Jimmy Choo's at home. The trail is well marked and follows the maps pretty well. If you're bringing dogs, definitely check them for ticks, they seem a little more active on this trail than others I've been on.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Nice trail to hike, well maintained trail. Part is the lone star trail, trails are all well indicated.
We did the whole loop and it came in at 6.4 miles, will definitely do some more hiking in this part of the sam houston national forest.

Saturday, August 08, 2015

Got to the trail head and met the LSHT club. They invited me to join them. It was an awesome hike and met some really nice new friends. The trail is well marked. There were quite a few roots exposed from the heavy spring rains and trail had lots of brush. Rains prevented regular grooming. It was fine for me though. I liked the fact that this trail is only open to foot traffic. Hike early and bring plenty water in August.

Sunday, June 11, 2017