Lake Grapevine Horseshoe Trail

Lake Grapevine Horseshoe Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grapevine, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great views of the lake, pretty easy trail and would be get difficult to get lost as Horseshoe crosses a paved road multiple times throughout. Good signage throughout as well. Great for walking, hiking and jogging.

Great trail for beginners. I have never done mountain biking before and this was the perfect place to start. I like that there are also paved trails and they are wide. Not too crowded.

Trees down all over the trail blocking the paths.

Love running this trail... some easy flat sections a few technical climbs... great views of lake.

Very nice little hike.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great place! Took my 8 year old daughter and her new "big girl bike" for the first time and what I thought would be a 30 minute max trip turned into 2 hours and almost 4 miles of exploring. Good mix of asphalt paths and some gentle trails in the woods so we mixed it up. Awesome daddy daughter adventure, we will be back for sure!

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Not much to this trail. Most of it is along a cement road and when you get to the dirt there trash along the way.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I have been to a few trails in grapevine and this one is my favorite so far. They have dirt and paved roads. At some point in the trail you are able to see the lake, there are some hills, and a few picnic tables. It's great!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great morning hike. The trails were marked well for hikers and cyclists. Had a water station-dog friendly. Good views of the lake and picnic tables.

Monday, August 29, 2016

My son and I hit this trail today and loved it. There is a good mix of terrain and a couple pucker moments but tons of fun!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

This was a great way to spend the morning with my dogs! Sandy paths and lots of shade! Very quiet on a Thursday morning. I only saw people in the parking area. Will be back!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Walking, hiking, running - have nice paved trails with beautiful trees to give shade and trails that are used by hikers and bikers. When I went I only saw two other people walking and half a dozen bikers. They also have a little dog park with a pond. No entrance fee and tons of parking.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Fun trail. A mix of paved and off road hiking. Nice park benches and garbage cans for your empty water bottles. Nice views of the lake. Jump in for a swim like I did!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Amazing mountain bike trail

Thursday, May 26, 2016

midweek. little more for traffic. very humid, and a little warm (85). great stress relief.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

My first time on the trail, so I went about it very casually, taking lots of pictures and enjoying the view of the lake. Foot traffic was light-moderate on this Sunday morning, under cloudy skies, and after recent rains.

The trail is only a mile from my house, so this will probably be my regular ride in the evenings during the week, just before beer:30.

Monday, April 11, 2016

great and clean but trail signs are worthless. Bike path runs opposite and same path as the pedestrian trail so keep an eye out.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

This is a great beginner trail for MTB. It seems like DORBA has done a great job maintaining the trails after all the rain we e gotten recently and put up some temp bypass signs to avoid some of the flooding. This was my first time here but will definitely be back soon

Friday, April 01, 2016

Great trail and well maintained with good challenges

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

I went trail running on 3/22/16 and found myself having to stop at a dead end a few times due to flooding, but other then that it was all good.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

I ran 10 miles on 3/27/16 on the singletrack trail. It was well marked and easy to follow but the high water made it difficult in spots. I had to turn around a few times because the trail would dead end at the water.

Overall a good trail but it was difficult to get miles in because of the high water. I just found a few good loops to repeat until I got in the distance I wanted.

Monday, February 08, 2016

It's more a dog park I think because there was lots of poop everywhere.

Monday, December 07, 2015

I needed to take advantage of a great day, but only had about 2 hours left before the sun would start to set so I headed to this local trail that I had seen from the road but had never explored. The Horseshoe Trail is a system of both paved path and dirt trails that take great advantage of land space that is available between the homes and the Lake Grapevine flood plane.

I started out by following the paved path. The trail is wide and easily accessible to all. It was a great spot for some fast paced walking, right up to the point that the trail was covered by water. Lake Grapevine is currently at flood stage and just past the one mile park on the main trail I ran into the lake, literally.

I tried to take one of the mountain bikes around the water, and just came across more water. So, if Lake Grapevine is flooding know that you will likely have your hike/walk/bike ride cut short.

On the way back I tried to weave my way back on the Mountain Biking trails and once again came across water that was too deep and wide to navigate around. The dirt trail system looks like it is a great place to ride some circuits on a mountain bike.

I will defiantly come back to hike the complete trail, once the water levels are down on the lake.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Trail is back open after the spring floods, and you'd never know it ever flooded! Good place to hone your skills as an advanced-beginner to intermediate level MTB'er. It's got just enough roots, rocks, punchy climbs, and short descents to keep you interested, but not so much to discourage the less experienced rider to get out and enjoy. Try it, you will enjoy.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

under construction so not all of the trails are open. ok for hiking, not a lot bikes during weekdays. bring own water and mosquito spray ( near standing water). will definitely go back when the flooding is gone and the rest of the trails open up

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Another AllTrails rating disappointment. Invariably trails marked easy are not. Easy should be defined as something anyone can do with minimal effort and skill raged less of age or gender. LB Houston is easy, the green belt at Lake Ray Roberts is super duper easy, but unless we took the wrong trail, it was intermediate. There were several sharp turns and climbs over tree roots, which requires more advanced skill. Easy implies a true beginner not a male triathlete weekend warrior's version of easy. The hills we climbed required some muscle and confidence navigating over rocks and roots while ascending/descending. Once on the trail, there was good signage as to which way a cyclist was to go. Unfortunately, we didn't see a good trails map indicating if there were easy to skilled trails or sections. Perhaps it exists. If so, it would be great if the true trailhead demarcation point was easily identifiable. Those with intermediate level of skills would enjoy the trail we took but I wouldn't do it again and wouldn't bring the kids. Perhaps the easy is a reference to the concrete trail, which is not our interest.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

I absolutely LOVE to run these trails! I park at the small lot on Dove Road, then hit the nearest dirt trail approx. 100 feet up the paved road. There are hiking trails and DORBA trails all throughout the woods. Tons of zig zags and ups & downs to negotiate which, for me, makes running fun and the time flies by! I have learned that its almost impossible to keep track of where you may be because there are so many different trails and twists and turns. So I just keep track of my time and run while I enjoy the scenery, the birds and the animals!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I've done the trail 3 times 3 different ways. I just started mountain biking 2 weeks ago so this trail has been my training ground. There was only 1 or 2 parts that I had to get off my bike because the climb was to difficult for me still. Other than that this trail is so much fun. Beware of mtbikers going both ways. Even know there is plenty of signage showing entrance and direction people like to go both ways.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Lots of great trails for hiking and biking. The runs go through some very scenic woods and near Grapevine Lake. So there are great views and lots of wildlife.

Monday, July 14, 2014

It's an ok trail. not well indicated but has some fun drops.

In the same area I prefer/recommend knob hill and northshore