Lake Bryan Trail

Lake Bryan Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bryan, Texas that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Well kept trail with easy to follow signs (though a map is nice to have on hand since the trails do wind a lot and you can easily get turned around). Most of the trails are through scrubby forest so there's not much to see in summer, but I imagine that the clearings I passed through would be nice with spring flowers. I did see several snakes which wasn't unexpected, but it is a good reminder to watch where you put your feet.

Ugly

So this is a reasonable hike, mostly because of it's convenience. Admission is $5, but a season pass is available for $75. The trails seem to be shared mountain biking trail, and while I did encounter several bikers, it was easy to avoid them. The trails are relatively well kept, easy to follow, and somewhat muddy. It is a weekend, so there were quite a few people, dogs, and kids. There was a moderate amount of music noise and a moderate amount of road noise on most of the trail. There are facilities, camping sites, and RV hookups. There is also a seasonal restaurant/bar venue. All in all, this is not amazing, but it's easy to get out and stretch the legs on a leisurely hike. It would be good for dog hiking if your dog is good with people and other dogs- but your dog will be muddy on the way home!

Monday, November 21, 2016

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Enjoyed these trails. Easy to get lost though. Dense woods and narrow trails, which I liked. Small wooden bridges going over several creeks. Half way through my hike, I came upon an oil rig pumping away. Having to pay 5 bucks to use the property is a negative. But all in all, I will come back again.

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Monday, September 30, 2013

College Station is nice and everything, but it's truly in the middle of nowhere. Even state parks are hard to come by. Huntsville was too far, and we didn't want to take the risk on a Lake Somerville detour. From the road you can't tell much about Lake Bryan, except that it's relatively small and artificial. It makes it hard for a pair of trail runners to decide whether it's worth the five bucks just to check it out. The woman at the gate didn't understand. Presuming we might park outside the gate and use the trails anyway, she said she would be happy to have us towed. We drove an entire loop of the lake in annoyance and indecision but decided to try it anyway. It turns out the trails are decent, and for two people worth the five bucks. They don't loop the lake but rather go out from the boathouse/ice-house in what are essentially two out-and-backs, though there's something of a loop to it in places. I'd say it's ten miles all told and twice that because of the out-and-backs. It's mostly flat and surprisingly stays off the lake and in the shade of foliage for most of the course. Except for a mountain biker or two we had the trails and wildflowers to ourselves.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

Great trail I live here and ride here when I can its a pretty long trail I've gotten lost back there a few times but they have gotten much better at marking trails.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Good long trail. Not too difficult for mountain bike but still challenging. Pretty nice hike but better run.