Laguna Meadow Trail

Laguna Meadow Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and birding.

We took the LMT to get to our camp site SW4. To us and some of the Park Rangers it seemed to be more fitting to get to the South Rim than the other routes. It was a slow incline but def still an incline. We took plenty of breaks as well. We had our packs for overnight and two days of water, so the weight added to the experience. Most of the trail was in the shade which made it much more enjoyable and less stressful to our bodies. We had done Lost Mine Trail two days prior and got torn up by the sun, it made the trail more miserable than it should’ve been. Neither of us trained, I’m in good shape but it didn’t matter on the trail! Well it didn’t seem like it did. The LMT was about 4.8 miles not the 8 like it says. After the 4.8 we crossed over to the South Rim trail for 2.5 to our destination for the most AMAZING views I’ve ever seen. Like I said we had a whole day, so we took our time and rested as much as possible. It took us a total of 5 hours to get to the top. 9am-2pm. I would recommend this trail to anyone that has time. It can def be done! The way down was much faster totally three hours. We did use walking sticks which helped the accent and decent tremendously! We’ve backpacked before without any and it was much more miserable! Either way, we loved the trail and views! Happy hiking!

One of the more shaded hikes in the Chisos. Great choice is their in the hotter part of the year. Demanding climb, well worth the effort. Can reserve Backpack campsites, but limited so plan ahead.

Nice trail that has many shading areas that you can get relief from the head. Very crowded in late December early January

My father and I backpacked this trail to camp overnight in Boot Canyon via the Colima trail. This trail is a lovely example of the sort of biodiversity you find in the Chisos, with the immediate surroundings fluctuating between desert shrubland and mixed evergreen-broadleaf forest.

There was snow on the trail when I went in early December. I don't recommend taking this trail without good boots and a walking stick if there's still snow around. Slippery!

When you crest the big saddle, make sure you climb the rabbit-track up the rise to the West. A nice view!
Don't miss following the trail to the laguna meadows campsites, as that's where you'll actually see the meadow. Nice place for lunch.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016