L B Houston Nature Trail

easy 143 reviews

L B Houston Nature Trail is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Dallas, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 88 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: As of 2019, Hikers report that this trail has been damaged by construction.

closed

Should have taken a panoramic of this sh**hole to share with the AllTrails community. So bad.

Tried to hike this recently and the construction has greatly damaged the east side of the park. The west side was underwater. We chose to pick another spot, but will try again in a few months.

trail extremely muddy and unimproved. as of 05/14/19, trailhead damaged by construction.

closed

Tried to mtb it. Parked at national guard and tried to ride first trail I saw across road to the right lb Houston river loop. Unrideable, thorn branches, trash, logs, appears closed. Left after a few minutes.

Sun Aug 05 2018

Trail is cared for, only encountered two downed trees that were really in the way at all, a big one at Katy's loop at the far east. It is dry, sometimes dusty, and lots of overgrowth on most sides of the trail. There are a few little clearings, especially around the pond right after you cross wildwood drive. There are several picnic tables there which look to have been put there by BSA eagles for their projects. These were the nice little areas that made you feel great about the hike - not just like you were hemmed in by brush. The last half, when you are walking the Trinity, there are many places where people come in and fish. There tends to be a lot of trash, either from the high tide, or just inconsiderate people fishing there along the river. Overall, a good 2-3 hours leisurely stroll through, or way quicker hike if you want to hoof it. Well shaded, so fairly cool the whole time. Lots of bypasses. You can visit the California crossing park across the Trail Head and see a small spillway. Kinda fun, but again, all the inconsiderate people there leaving trash is a bit off putting.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Trail is well ridden and easy to access. Its pretty dry this time of year so the trail was dusty, but fast. My eight year old rode a few miles on the trail and had a blast but made the comment that it wasn't very challenging because it lacked elevation change.The trail is a nice alternative to more technical or scenic trail systems for locals, but I wouldn't make it a destination stop. Really its more of a convenience.

Fri May 04 2018

Great biking trail.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Kristen and I walked this at 6 pm. Great sunset colors. Trees around the river were as tall as any trees in dallas. No one was on the trail or in the parking lot. After the train trestle the trail had been flooded and we had to turn back. I liked the feeling of being remote even though we were in the city.

Thu Feb 08 2018

I don't know why it says no dogs, but I took my dog on a run/hike here and it was awesome! It was a little muddy because of recent rain, but I loved it. It was surprisingly quiet too, considering there's a gun range close to here. I'm not sure if the range was closed today so that's why we didn't hear anything, or what. We were the only ones on the trail for a while. passed another runner and one other person pulled up as we were leaving. I like how secluded it is, too. thanks for the great find!

Sat Dec 30 2017

More of a biking trail than anything. There was a couple of guys parked at the trailhead just sitting in their trucks. Not sure what they were doing there just hanging out at 4PM on a Friday afternoon in late December but they didn’t give any trouble and were gone by the time I got back. A lot of switchbacks and twists on this trail with bridges and obstacles meant clearly for biking. Still fun to trail run it but loop after loop gets old when you’re running. Is pretty trashy but clear enough to not be too bothered by it. Not a single person out on the trail when I went out. Trail was a bit soggy even though it hasn’t rained recently. I would give four stars for biking, three for trail running.

Fri Nov 17 2017

Nice trail for its location; trash aside there’s a wide variety of birds and bugs. Nice trees. I always joke about finding a dead body someday because of all the people sitting around smoking and the discarded condoms and needles you can find, but then I found two dead dogs on the west half of the trail. Still walk there, 3/10 for all the litter but +2 for birds and bugs and +2 for the sense of danger making me feel alive. Total 7/10

Mon Oct 09 2017

Ok for a short day hike

Fri Sep 22 2017

Not a trail to make a day trip out of- more of a walk than a hike. If you're looking to get close to nature, I would dedicate time to finding a more rural trail. Throughout our visit the air was filled with soft sounds of a nearby highway. Not disrupting in the least but it does prevent you from feeling totally immersed in the trees. The nature we encountered included a variety of birds and many vibrantly colored crown spiders. Evidence of snakes, though we didn't come across any. This isn't a place most people come to to enjoy nor appreciate nature- trash is common. The nature itself is still beautiful.

Wed Aug 02 2017

I like this trail for an easy little ride close to my home in Irving, but I too was uncomfortable with a couple of seriously sketchy-looking dudes sitting in separate cars at the trailhead yesterday. Just sitting. I rode around where I could keep an eye on my truck until they split. It took awhile. My vehicle was still there when I returned. Yay!

Fri May 26 2017

Extremely sketchy. Pull up to the parking lot and it looked like guys sitting in their cars waiting to do a drug deal. We never even stopped to get out because we were being watched.

Tue Apr 11 2017

Firstly, allow me to give this trail a bit of context. If you are looking for a grand communion with nature, or photos for your new calendar, or an idyllic spot to vacation with the family, this is really not the trail you seek. This is located in gritty North Dallas, not far from strip malls and light industrial buildings. However, if you happen to be in this area, as was I, and wish to take a walk through the trees, this trail may suffice. Allow me to say unambivalently, that were I a solitary female, I would not hike here. Were it after dark, and I were unarmed, I would not hike here. If I saw a scary psychopathic clown on the trail ahead of me, I would not hike here. I think my meaning should be clear. In the day hours, with a mate or two, it seems harmless enough. The trail is easy enough to follow. The trail is flat almost the entire loop, with only moderate inclines. You would be walking through woods much of the time. You can see a small lake, and also a river. I couldn’t see any signs directing your poochie dog to be on a leash, but it looks at least as dog friendly as it is people friendly. There is a public bicycle pump near the trailhead, and lots of bicycle tracks on the trail, so I will extrapolate at least a modest popularity of this trail with mountain bikers.