L B Houston Nature Trail

L B Houston Nature Trail is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Dallas, Texas that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options.

L.B. Houston Nature Trails is a loop trail located near Dallas, Texas. The trail is good for all skill levels.

Great biking trail.

Kristen and I walked this at 6 pm. Great sunset colors. Trees around the river were as tall as any trees in dallas. No one was on the trail or in the parking lot. After the train trestle the trail had been flooded and we had to turn back.
I liked the feeling of being remote even though we were in the city.

I don't know why it says no dogs, but I took my dog on a run/hike here and it was awesome! It was a little muddy because of recent rain, but I loved it. It was surprisingly quiet too, considering there's a gun range close to here. I'm not sure if the range was closed today so that's why we didn't hear anything, or what. We were the only ones on the trail for a while. passed another runner and one other person pulled up as we were leaving. I like how secluded it is, too. thanks for the great find!

More of a biking trail than anything. There was a couple of guys parked at the trailhead just sitting in their trucks. Not sure what they were doing there just hanging out at 4PM on a Friday afternoon in late December but they didn’t give any trouble and were gone by the time I got back. A lot of switchbacks and twists on this trail with bridges and obstacles meant clearly for biking. Still fun to trail run it but loop after loop gets old when you’re running. Is pretty trashy but clear enough to not be too bothered by it. Not a single person out on the trail when I went out. Trail was a bit soggy even though it hasn’t rained recently. I would give four stars for biking, three for trail running.

Nice trail for its location; trash aside there’s a wide variety of birds and bugs. Nice trees. I always joke about finding a dead body someday because of all the people sitting around smoking and the discarded condoms and needles you can find, but then I found two dead dogs on the west half of the trail. Still walk there, 3/10 for all the litter but +2 for birds and bugs and +2 for the sense of danger making me feel alive. Total 7/10

Ok for a short day hike

Not a trail to make a day trip out of- more of a walk than a hike. If you're looking to get close to nature, I would dedicate time to finding a more rural trail. Throughout our visit the air was filled with soft sounds of a nearby highway. Not disrupting in the least but it does prevent you from feeling totally immersed in the trees.

The nature we encountered included a variety of birds and many vibrantly colored crown spiders. Evidence of snakes, though we didn't come across any.

This isn't a place most people come to to enjoy nor appreciate nature- trash is common. The nature itself is still beautiful.

I like this trail for an easy little ride close to my home in Irving, but I too was uncomfortable with a couple of seriously sketchy-looking dudes sitting in separate cars at the trailhead yesterday. Just sitting. I rode around where I could keep an eye on my truck until they split. It took awhile. My vehicle was still there when I returned. Yay!

Friday, May 26, 2017

Extremely sketchy. Pull up to the parking lot and it looked like guys sitting in their cars waiting to do a drug deal. We never even stopped to get out because we were being watched.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Firstly, allow me to give this trail a bit of context. If you are looking for a grand communion with nature, or photos for your new calendar, or an idyllic spot to vacation with the family, this is really not the trail you seek. This is located in gritty North Dallas, not far from strip malls and light industrial buildings. However, if you happen to be in this area, as was I, and wish to take a walk through the trees, this trail may suffice.

Allow me to say unambivalently, that were I a solitary female, I would not hike here. Were it after dark, and I were unarmed, I would not hike here. If I saw a scary psychopathic clown on the trail ahead of me, I would not hike here. I think my meaning should be clear. In the day hours, with a mate or two, it seems harmless enough.

The trail is easy enough to follow. The trail is flat almost the entire loop, with only moderate inclines. You would be walking through woods much of the time. You can see a small lake, and also a river. I couldn’t see any signs directing your poochie dog to be on a leash, but it looks at least as dog friendly as it is people friendly. There is a public bicycle pump near the trailhead, and lots of bicycle tracks on the trail, so I will extrapolate at least a modest popularity of this trail with mountain bikers.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Clearing where the road is splits the trails up, making it a little difficult to find them.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Awesome

Friday, February 27, 2015

Nothing special or too technical but very good for beginners and a good spot for a workout. Very well marked and maintained with several exits if you want to cut your ride short.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Currently a great trail after they trimmed all of the brush away! Some technical parts, as well as straightaways. All around a good trail. Just needs some more maintenance.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Did the trail on 7/10/14
I've done close to all trails in the Dallas area and Fort Worth and as far as glen rose. If you live within 5 miles of this trail, I could understand the "want" to go to LBJ.

The trail is not well indicated. Also, too easy. Don't park off of Sandy Hill find the other entrance.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

This is known as being about the most basic trail around Dallas. It's first on the list for beginners. It's very tame and flat. While it has some good flow in a few parts and a couple of sections where you can right-out sprint, it's just not all that exciting. The most technical you'll get is a few dips and the tech loop which has tight turns, lots of roots, and close-in trees that actually can be a little tricky. The last time I went there, it was also very overgrown. I could hardly see the trail a few times because of the grass and I had to constantly watch out for low-hanging branches and twigs that were right about face level. The DORBA trail stewards are excellent at taking care of the trails, though, so I may have just gone right before a day when they moved through to clean it all up. The signage is very good and there are plenty of bypasses and exits if you need them. It's not a bad trail by any means and it's great if you're just starting out or the kids are, but if you're experienced and have a chance to hit a different trail, you might enjoy yourself more elsewhere. If you've never been, it's still worth a visit to see the trail variety in Dallas.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

We love this trail! It is very well marked, it is a great trail for the whole family & it has a lot of variation. There are straight sections, s-curves, switchbacks, a dip loop, a technical loop, varied surfaces, varied terrain, and a few challenges in spots but not so tough that a beginner can't navigate. We all enjoyed this trail!

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Oct 5, 2013 ~ Tough to find a hiking trail in the burbs of Dallas, but found this one while staying here and it was great to get out and see some trees instead of concrete. Could tell immediately this trail (or at least the section I hiked) was created with the mountain biker in mind, but I enjoyed it anyway. I mountain bike and can see myself bringing the bike on my next time in the Dallas area. If I had been on my bike, I'd give it 3 stars.

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Nice fast trail. A great beginner or family trail. The trail could be a little better marked in certian areas but once you find the right way you'll notice that it is marked fairly well. Not in the best area. But a great trail for practicing form and riding technique without over doing it.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Very nice wooded trails, maintained by DORBA. Also contains a skills area, as well as technical areas, bypass trails, and multiple emergency exits.

Monday, April 09, 2012

Trail closed. What a disappointment.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Too busy with bikers.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fantastic family friendly wooded trail. Can be very muddy after rain. Also, keep your eyes peeled for bobcats. Helmet law is in effect. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 23, 2017