Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

L B Houston Nature Trail is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near Dallas, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 88 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: As of 2019, Hikers report that this trail has been damaged by construction.

it now looks like a crime scene. the trail is gone. thrones all around.

closed

Should have taken a panoramic of this sh**hole to share with the AllTrails community. So bad.

Mon May 27 2019

Tried to hike this recently and the construction has greatly damaged the east side of the park. The west side was underwater. We chose to pick another spot, but will try again in a few months.

Wed May 15 2019

trail extremely muddy and unimproved. as of 05/14/19, trailhead damaged by construction.

closed
Wed Mar 06 2019

Tried to mtb it. Parked at national guard and tried to ride first trail I saw across road to the right lb Houston river loop. Unrideable, thorn branches, trash, logs, appears closed. Left after a few minutes.

Sun Aug 05 2018

Trail is cared for, only encountered two downed trees that were really in the way at all, a big one at Katy's loop at the far east. It is dry, sometimes dusty, and lots of overgrowth on most sides of the trail. There are a few little clearings, especially around the pond right after you cross wildwood drive. There are several picnic tables there which look to have been put there by BSA eagles for their projects. These were the nice little areas that made you feel great about the hike - not just like you were hemmed in by brush. The last half, when you are walking the Trinity, there are many places where people come in and fish. There tends to be a lot of trash, either from the high tide, or just inconsiderate people fishing there along the river. Overall, a good 2-3 hours leisurely stroll through, or way quicker hike if you want to hoof it. Well shaded, so fairly cool the whole time. Lots of bypasses. You can visit the California crossing park across the Trail Head and see a small spillway. Kinda fun, but again, all the inconsiderate people there leaving trash is a bit off putting.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Trail is well ridden and easy to access. Its pretty dry this time of year so the trail was dusty, but fast. My eight year old rode a few miles on the trail and had a blast but made the comment that it wasn't very challenging because it lacked elevation change.The trail is a nice alternative to more technical or scenic trail systems for locals, but I wouldn't make it a destination stop. Really its more of a convenience.

Fri May 04 2018

Great biking trail.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Kristen and I walked this at 6 pm. Great sunset colors. Trees around the river were as tall as any trees in dallas. No one was on the trail or in the parking lot. After the train trestle the trail had been flooded and we had to turn back. I liked the feeling of being remote even though we were in the city.

Thu Feb 08 2018

I don't know why it says no dogs, but I took my dog on a run/hike here and it was awesome! It was a little muddy because of recent rain, but I loved it. It was surprisingly quiet too, considering there's a gun range close to here. I'm not sure if the range was closed today so that's why we didn't hear anything, or what. We were the only ones on the trail for a while. passed another runner and one other person pulled up as we were leaving. I like how secluded it is, too. thanks for the great find!

Sat Dec 30 2017

More of a biking trail than anything. There was a couple of guys parked at the trailhead just sitting in their trucks. Not sure what they were doing there just hanging out at 4PM on a Friday afternoon in late December but they didn’t give any trouble and were gone by the time I got back. A lot of switchbacks and twists on this trail with bridges and obstacles meant clearly for biking. Still fun to trail run it but loop after loop gets old when you’re running. Is pretty trashy but clear enough to not be too bothered by it. Not a single person out on the trail when I went out. Trail was a bit soggy even though it hasn’t rained recently. I would give four stars for biking, three for trail running.

Fri Nov 17 2017

Nice trail for its location; trash aside there’s a wide variety of birds and bugs. Nice trees. I always joke about finding a dead body someday because of all the people sitting around smoking and the discarded condoms and needles you can find, but then I found two dead dogs on the west half of the trail. Still walk there, 3/10 for all the litter but +2 for birds and bugs and +2 for the sense of danger making me feel alive. Total 7/10

Mon Oct 09 2017

Ok for a short day hike

Fri Sep 22 2017

Not a trail to make a day trip out of- more of a walk than a hike. If you're looking to get close to nature, I would dedicate time to finding a more rural trail. Throughout our visit the air was filled with soft sounds of a nearby highway. Not disrupting in the least but it does prevent you from feeling totally immersed in the trees. The nature we encountered included a variety of birds and many vibrantly colored crown spiders. Evidence of snakes, though we didn't come across any. This isn't a place most people come to to enjoy nor appreciate nature- trash is common. The nature itself is still beautiful.