Knob Hill Trail

Knob Hill Trail is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Roanoke, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 285 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

bridge out

The trail often closes when it becomes too muddy, or conditions otherwise prevent use. Please check local status reports for up to date trail accessibility.

Great trail but it is VERY muddy right now after all the rain we’ve had recently.

Hiked 2.5 miles from the 377 trailhead for a 5 mile hike. A flat and relatively wide trail (compared to North shore Grapevine trails). The part I hiked would be great for beginner cyclist Encountered lots of hikers with dogs. My dog picked up a lot of burrs. In January when the trees are bare this place is not very scenic. Felled trees are everywhere, too frequently a truck tire or refrigerator that probably washed up in high water sits on the side of the trail, and the smell of a distant landfill filled the air in sections.

Hiking & Biking: Really well maintained trails. Muddy in patches, but most spots are already patched over with bridges. We hiked Loops 1-3.5, but I would really love to try this on a bike. Seems like a great trail. Dogs: I do not recommend dogs for this trail beyond Loop 1 (or, more precisely) anything beyond the initial wooded area. The terrain quickly turns into a burr and thorn nightmare that I could only describe as having the appearance of a vast elephant grave yard. The giant burr bushes begin mid-Loop 2. By Mid-Loop 3, our dog couldn't make it one step without yelping in pain and chewing at her paws because they were so heavy on the path. We ended up carrying her back to the safer terrain. At 37lbs, this was not an ideal situation. Please keep this as a heads up if you're planning on bringing your pup. View: Pretty dreadful. As mentioned earlier, the elephant grave yard persists throughout Loops 2-3, but instead of bones, you have miles of the biggest, spookiest burr bushes...literal miles...of only burrs and thorns. Most of Loop 1 is a heavily forested area with dead/falling/felled trees and an occasional large appliance. Our favorite part was Loop 1 on the way back. We finally hit some light elevation that gave the hike a spark. Temperature: Warm in January before noon with a high of 60. No bugs, but I imagine this trail is pretty hot and buggy for most of the year.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

Trail impassable near “ankle biter”. Muddy in some areas, but nice otherwise.

Love this trail. Great mix of flat and technical for a runner. Will be coming back often.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

Excellent scenery and major elevation changes in a good way. Path is very cleared. My dog loved it and got to get a little muddy but not a mud bath. :)

Great trail. Was technically “closed” due to mud but we made it around loop 1 with no problem. There were a few muddy spots but not enough to cause a problem. We went on a Saturday around 1 ish and there were a good amount of people but they were spread out along the trail so most of the time you didn’t run into people. Spotted some deer on our way around and saw a bunch of wildlife tracks. Overall the trail is in great shape and it is easy to follow. I can’t wait to come back and try for loop 2.

Great trail especially for mountain bikers but nice for hiking too. There are 4 loops and you have the option of turning back at and of the loops (they all make one big loop). I did loops 1 and 2. One side of loop 3 appeared to be closed, probably due to all the rain we have had. There were definitely some muddy portions of the trail, especially on the way out.

Good dirt trail! I took a 4 mile out and back run. It was really nice. Trail is in great condition and it is moderately trafficked, but not crowded. There’s lots of dips, small hills, turns and straights to enjoy. There is also lots of single track to enjoy.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

Beautiful day today. The entire trail is in great shape!

Crazy trail and it’s awesome. I made it loop 3 only. Bring more water.

This is just the middle section of the trail. Nice, Rocky, prairie views. Lots of small wildlife.

Holy crap I’m worn out! That was a long trail! Do NOT recommend bringing elderly furkids or furkids with a long coat while it’s sunny out. Bring LOTS of water! I started at 7:45am, and I didn’t finish until 12:30! Great trail!

Very dry but at 945 to 1130 quite humid. Bring a lot of water 2-3 cars at trailhead didn’t see anyone.

Clean trail. Went middle of the afternoon on a weekday and it was peaceful and quite.

Went hiking Sunday morning around dawn. The trail is in great shape. Kudos to the folks who put all the effort into the clean up! Passed bikers but they are always courteous and alert! One of our favorite trails.

Great trail for mountain biking. Highly recommend to others.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

Trail in great shape. A few downed trees with the recent storm on loop 1 and 2, but nothing to keep the trail closed. This is one of my favorite trails!!!

I have to say this is one of the better trails as far as challenging. Moderate is a good rating. These trails are well maintained and marked. (thanks to the bike club) I would suggest starting out very early if you want to hike. we started at the crack of dawn starting at 377 entrance. by 10 it was getting crowded with bikes.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

The trail is in great shape now! This has always been one of my favorite trails, so I’m glad it is open and back to its glory.

recorded Knob Hill Trail

Day 2 of cleanup. The downed trees have been taken care of. The trail should open today!

closed

Today was a trail cleanup day. The DORBA team and tons of volunteers were out in force. The trail was underwater as recently as a few weeks ago so there was lots of debris cleanup and trimming needing to take place, but DORBA does a great job. I captured pictures of downed trees on loop 2 inbound so the team can send out folks with chainsaws.