Johnson Branch Trail

Johnson Branch Trail is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Valley View, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Explore the wonders of of Johnson Branch on walking, hiking, and biking trails. Enjoy camping, boating, and fishing. Ray Roberts Lake State Park is a beautiful 30,000-acre lake complex complete with boat ramps, camping, fishing, a swimming beaches, numerous hiking trails, equestrian trails, Dorba mountain bike trails, hotel, marina and a park store. Most of Ray Roberts Lake State Park is located in northern Denton County. The Ray Roberts Lake State Park Complex consists of two state park units (Isle du Bois and Johnson Branch), six satellite parks (Jordan Unit, Pond Creek, Pecan Creek, Buck Creek, Sanger, and Elm Fork), Wildlife Management Areas, wetlands, waterfowl sanctuaries and the 20 mile Ray Roberts Lake/Lake Lewisville Greenbelt Corridor. The Johnson Branch Unit is set amid a mixed forest and prairie environment. In addition to 165 campsites on the lake, Johnson Branch includes boat ramps, group pavilions, and numerous mountain-bike trails, primitive camping, and great fishing opportunities. The park offers complete water recreation activities: fishing, boating, waterskiing, personal watercraft, sailing, and swimming. The park store rents canoes and kayaks. Camp at tree-shaded sites and watch the sunset on the lake and deer from your picnic table. Since Johnson Branch is on a peninsula, it has both east and west-facing shoreline that allows visitors to sit in the peaceful evening and watch brilliant red and deep blue sunrises and sunsets over the water. Hiking and biking trails meander through the woodlands and offer great opportunities for wildlife and bird viewing. The park's natural setting is a habitat that is home to many different species of birds.

Had a great weekend here with my son (10) camping and hiking. We did the full trail and all the loops twice over the weekend. It is a great trail for young and novice hikers. There are some more technical aspects to the trail in the red section, but isn't terribly challenging in the other parts of the trail system. We had a blast. I had never camped here before. I've been to Isle du Bois more times than I can count, and it has a great DORBA trail system too ... but this was my first time at Johnson Branch.

Our site was in the "Dogwood Canyon" primitive camping area, and the sites there are great. If you are a hammock camper (like me) you will want to avoid most of the waterfront sites in that area for lack of good hanging options. However, the inland sites offer plenty of places to hang your hammock, and are a little more sheltered from the winds that can come in strong off the lake (like we had this weekend).

The total trail system is about 9 miles if you do all the loops, which is substantially smaller than the sister park on the other side of the lake (Isle du Bois) ... but the foot traffic is noticeably less and we only encountered a handful of bikes on the trail. It was a great weekend and we'll definitely be back. The trail is a great one to do some training on for longer backpacking trips and hikes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this little gem right around the corner from where everyone else goes when they try to camp at Lake Ray Roberts.

A very enjoyable hike. We decided to do the 2.8 mile walking path but the views of the lake are great and the path winds its way through the Timberland Forest through the park. A beautiful and crisp fall day, reminded me a bit of Fall in the Northeast. Definitely going to come back and do some of the other hikes.

Monday, February 20, 2017

We loved running the dorba trails here, our favorite so far. Many turns, drops and climbs on all sorts of terrains. Very challenging, hilly and some narrow paths through trees. We arrived on a late Sunday afternoon and didn't encounter one single person while we were out on the trails. Can't wait to go back and try the rest.

Friday, April 01, 2016

very clean. lots of elevation changes (for this area) enjoyed it!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Great workout! Second visit here and was not disappointed either time. I ride all the loops but the Red trail is the best to test your skills! The trails are not marked very well, as I did a couple of the loops twice. Very rocky and pay attention to the sand on the turns!

Friday, December 27, 2013

I hiked part of this trail. It's scenic with some interesting terrain, but I wish it was better marked. I followed the more difficult DORBA trail, but got frustrated with how twisty turn-y it was. Next time I will hike another one of the trails to see more of the park.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ran this trail one hot Thursday evening. Empty and a few technical sections. You are pretty much running through the camp sites so I would figure weekend might be a bit crowded with campers. Planning on going back to explore the area a little more.

Sunday, October 09, 2011

I consider myself past a beginner, but not quite an intermediate rider. This was an awesome trail that offered plenty of challenges with plenty of climbs, drops, twists, and turns. The trail passed through several trees that were almost too close together, but it only enhanced my technical skills. I will definitely be going back. If you're a beginner looking to take a step up on your rides, this is the place to be.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017