Inks Lake State Park Trail

Inks Lake State Park Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burnet, Texas that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Burnet, TX: Travel 9 miles west on State Highway 29 to Park Road 4. Go south 3 miles to the park headquarters.

Great hiking. Some parts challenging to a beginner like me. But a fantastic work out. The wildlife is abundant.

Nice views. Quiet.

We ended up coming here due to Enchanted Rock being overcrowded, and were pleasantly surprised. The scenery is beautiful and highly varied, and the trail has enough contour to provide a decent workout. It's rocky in places, so wear appropriate shoes and bring your trekking poles if you have them.

A good alternative to the very busy Enchanted Rock trails.

Fun hike. A little rocky here and there but nice hike I would do again.

Great trails for hiking. There are several interconnecting loops near the lake trail allowing you to choose the appropriate distance and scenery for your hike. The trails are well maintained but not overly manicured. They are very well marked, even in the rockier outcrops. The dogs and I did the green lake loop and the interconnecting blue woodland loop which was spot on 4.5 miles. Challenging but not overly so. As far as skill level, I would consider the lake loop easy and the woodland loop intermediate due to the rocky terrain and gradual incline. Great hike and impressive trails - I will certainly go back!

What a beautiful and well-maintained park! We loved the classic Texas Hill Country landscape. The trails were mostly a mix of sand and granite rocks, and while it wasn't very well marked, the map we were given by the friendly staff at headquarters was pretty helpful (entrance fee is $6 for each person). Our GSD loved it. Would recommend trash receptacles for dog poop and camping litter, but other than that, it was exactly what we had hoped! The grasshoppers and prickly pears are out in full force right now, along with a bunch of campers, kayakers, and people swimming/picnicking. Really had a lovely time today!

Very pretty park and easy hike to the devils water whole but past that the trail gets difficult. Lots of rock climbing.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

great trailers. very well marked. beautiful views. very peaceful

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Its so beautiful. little hard but I'm a beginner. the views are breath taking

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Kristen and I hiked area around devils something swimming hole. Where spring river meets inks lake. Trails were nice. Pleasantly hilly. Many wildflowers. And many flowers. I jumped off
Cliff into nice cool water. So many campers. Every slot filled. Too crowded from me.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Well marked nice Trail with beautiful spring flowers end of April

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Probably one of the best marked trails
I've been on. Love the color coding and all of the options. Beautiful location -
Especially in the Spring with all the Wildflowers.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

A great trail, well marked, clean, wildflowers were blooming, only complaint is that it is too close to highway 29 and can hear cars whizzing by, otherwise 5 stars.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Fun for the whole family.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Lovely trail in January. Lots of small trails of water, birds, and animal signs. Definitely moderate, though some trails are easier (wider and flatter).

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Amazing hikes here. The recent rainfall has all the little streams burbling along. Trails for all types in the park.
Two things to note:
1. Pick up the colored trail map when you check in. The trails are not marked the best and the color coding will help. Also pick up the 'Hiking Trail Guide For Pecan Flats' (or download the PDF file) if you want to get the most out of the Interactive Trail. There are several markers that point out special trees, plants, rocks, and views along this trail and the guide tells you about them.
2. Make a trip to the north of the park to do the Devil's Waterhole and Valley Springs Creek trails. The water hole would be worth swimming in the warm weather. The Valley Spring Creek trail is an additional .84 miles and it is well worth hiking.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great scenery but the trails weren't marked very well

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Highly recommend this trail.
Hiking among such beauty is so awesome.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Lots of trails to do here! Make sure to wear your sunscreen. Not too much shade for most of the trail we went on.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Beautiful moderate difficult trail. Walked the exterior. Most definitely plan to come back

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Great trail. Walked the exterior. Moderate difficulty. Definitely not for running or biking. Very rocky and hilly.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Not much of a hiking trail. More like a walking path.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Very fun! Be careful for snakes!

Sunday, July 05, 2015

My first trail run.

I went to inks lake state park for a scenic run but there was no way you could run on the green trail. It was a beautiful hike though. I took my yellow lab with me and the trail was very narrow in places. I would have liked some signs along the trails as to where to go. We were able to stay on the main trail for most of it but there are a lot of off shoots and we ended up off the main trail and we're not able to find the area I was looking for which was the pecan flats. All in all I had a great time. The scenery was beautiful.

Monday, April 20, 2015

There's camping here, cabins for rent, as well of tons of people fishing along the lake. Very pretty in spring when the wild flowers are blooming.

Monday, March 30, 2015

We took the Pecan Flats Trail today from the park headquarters. It's a very nice trail. The terrain is on the rocky side and where dirt could be found it was mud, lol. From what we could see on the trail the primitive camping sites along this route are incredibly secluded and peaceful. I'd love to go back and camp there. But you'll see a lot of bluebonnets here! The whole park is great. I can't wait to go back!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Great trail for hiking. Like stated, it's not for running. For the most part, the trail doesn't get busy. Most people go here to swim and camp. If you want a weekend of camping, swimming and hiking, I highly recommend this park.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Some pretty views of Inks Lake and complete solitude for most of the trail were positives, but the unbearable heat of Texas in August was a big negative.. It took me 3-3/4 hours to hike the outer loop: Green trail to Red to Yellow back to Green. I'd say it was about 7 miles. I don't know the exact length. It had some ups and downs, which qualifies for elevation gain in Texas, but nothing too challenging.

If you hike this entire loop, bring 4 liters of water (1/hour) and some clean clothes to change into, because you're going to want to dive into the lake when you're done. If you hike another time of year, i.e., when it's not 100+ degrees, adjust accordingly.

That dip in the lake was a fantastic way to end the day though. You'll definitely need it.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Beautiful park, TONS to do. The hiking trails were so spectacular I couldn't stop ooing and ahhing over the diverse terrain. One moment you're deep in the woods, and the next, you are standing atop a beautiful elevation, looking down at lakes and breathtaking rock formations. The limited use cabins are very nice and super clean, there were families EVERYWHERE, the staff in all of the shops and park headquarters were so friendly and helpful, and we had a blast taking out one of the rented canoes. We went when it was cold outside, so we couldn't swim, but we still managed to stay extremely busy the 3 days we were there. Longhorn caverns are right up the road, and that is something you really don't want to miss. Canyon of the Eagles is also nearby, and though we didn't have time to visit, we heard great things about it. Enchanted Rock is also somewhat close (45 min-1 hr away) and it is also worth visiting. I have lived in Texas all my life, and Inks Lake is a beautiful and unique treasure unlike any other I have visited in this great state so far.