Indian Lodge Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fort Davis, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,177 feet Route Type: Loop

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ This trail is found behind the Indian Lodge in Davis Mountains State Park. It is rocky and begins a little steep but soon offers beautiful views of the park.

excellent for trail running!

Great views along the ridge at the top, dog friendly,

My husband and I hiked this trail with our 6 and 4 year old. I had read that the trail was steep in the beginning, but I would say the ending was steeper coming down. We hiked from the lodge to Montezuma back to the park road. It was 2.7 miles total. The boys did great, but they are very adventurous.

I started at the Indian Lodge and came down the short side of Montezuma and walked the road back to the lodge parking lot. Pretty steep incline at the beginning with lots of rocks, hiking poles were good to have - especially coming down. I prefer to hike down with poles than climb up so this route was preferred for me. If you have knee issues, I would reverse and start from Montezuma (either point). Views of the lodge were nice.

Recommended. Peaceful and quite with no traffic noise, and great views. The loop is actually closer to 3 miles in total. I also enjoyed walking through the Indian Lodge on the way back, after coming up from the road (the last 5 minutes of the hike will take you along the park road, which is no issue at all). It’s a rocky trail so wear good shoes. Great loop hike!

An excellent hike. Steep for the first bit but tops out on a grand view of the surrounding area. Walked up on a lazy whitetail near the top. Little to no cover and random showers are a thing, so check the wx prior to leaving.

Took this trail twice, once just at daybreak and again at sunset. Easy trail and fantastic views for miles. Can see McDonalds Observatory from the trail.

Beautiful trail but paired w Montezuma Quail it’s only 3 miles, not close to 5. I wanted to run but it’s too technical in spots for that.

Nice trail that is not too strenuous. The first part from the Indian Lodge will be vertical but after no more than a mile you’ll be at the top and will second back down by the campgrounds. It gives you a great view of the Lodge and also of the Davis mountain range. A recommended hike!

Thu May 23 2019

great trail

Sun May 12 2019

Trail with great views of the State Park.

Thu Apr 04 2019

Wonderful views. Some of the downhill sections are very steep and challenging but worth it. It would be wrong and dangerous to tell people that this is an easy trail.

Sun Mar 31 2019

This is a borderline 3- or 4-star hike. Excellent hike if you are in he park, it is just not something that makes me say that I want to make a special trip to do. If starting from the lodge it has a steep climb to the top. The trail stays up top for about a mile before a technical and rocky descent.

Fri Feb 22 2019

Rocky. Steep at times. Well worth the climb for the 360 degree views at the top.

Fri Feb 15 2019

7.6 km represent 2 turn.

Sat Dec 29 2018

I would Do this one again but probably in the evening. We went up from the campground about 10am. We hiked it in the winter so the sun was not too hot, we had full sun pretty much the entire hike. If you are doing this one in the morning bring your sun block :)

Wed Dec 26 2018

Love this park and love this trail. Great for solitude and views of the surrounding Davis Mountains. If hiking in the summer, carry lots of water with you as it does get hot and there is not a lot of shade to be had.

Fri Jan 05 2018

Short easy trail. We did it combining Montezuma Quail loop. Very well marked, but rocky. Good views.

Sat Dec 16 2017

Seamus O'Toole is correct, this is not the official marked route (at least, not anymore) Anyhow, it's a great trail with fantastic views in all directions. Saw deer, hawks, and many Aoudad.

Thu Dec 14 2017

Super easy trail! The views got better the higher you went. I took my dog and we had fun. Was nice to find some hiking here in the desert!

Sun Sep 24 2017

Very beautiful trail. It was fairly steep but so worth it when you got to the top.

Sat Aug 19 2017

Lots of uphill and very rocky. Views were great!

Tue Jul 04 2017

sunrise hike a must, watch out for javelinas.

Sun Apr 23 2017

enjoyed it. the sights are great!

Mon Oct 10 2016

Great trail. Amazing views.

Fri Jul 03 2015