I-20 Wildlife Preserve

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(51)
Midland, Texas

I-20 Wildlife Preserve is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Midland, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 0 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Oasis in Midland, Tx, but I wouldn’t travel to it. We love going here because it’s one of the few options we have in the desert. The water is a collection point for city drain-off so just expect what that brings. When it’s hot, it’s hot and when it’s cold it’s cold. No terrain to change those effects. Shade is very limited on the South side, but the trail is extremely short so it’s bearable. ZERO elevation change. Great for all ages and abilities!

Only open Tuesday through Saturday and surrounded by oil and gas activity which can often be smelled

great trail! lots of water and vegetation, we didnt see mucg wildlife considering its a reserve. We did see hummingbirds, butterflies and frogs. Also a lot of wildflowers!

FYI-No dogs allowed. Good trail and pond/lake is overgrown with little water right now. Nice walk.

Good trail for the area. Lots of small wildlife around. Frogs, lizards, rodents, etc.

Thu May 23 2019

beautiful

Thu Jan 31 2019

Nice place to take a walk / hike and lots of wildlife. Watch out for the scat on the pathways. Trail has places to sit and also blinds to watch birds. Bird feeders are located in multiple spots. Butterfly garden near first part of trail is nice in the spring.

Sun Nov 25 2018

probably about as good as it gets in the area. Nice blinds to get different views. lots of water right now, but probably not usual.

Fri Aug 24 2018

If you want to forget you’re in boring old midland come here lol i’m glad that we at least have this. There’s lots of trees & a really pretty garden. Great place to take family photos. Make sure you wear bug spray though!

Thu Mar 08 2018

i gave it 4 stars...not because it is bad. It is a good walking trail. It has structure and it was a clean preserve. it was just a place to go walk...nothing to thrilling about it. great for kids though

Thu Nov 16 2017

I've been making my way to Arizona and found this great preserve in the area. Really appreciate that this exists, beautiful area, marked well. Saw some wildlife in November here. Nice butterfly garden as well.

Sat Aug 05 2017

First time visiting. Very pretty. Went around 10 AM so it wasn't too hot. Saw lots of birds, bullfrogs, lizards, fish, and a baby cat. Originally thought feral but once we got up closer it may have been a baby bobcat? I'll post a photo but it's from quite far away (you'll see him on the trail). Overall had a wonderful time and will go back!

Tue May 23 2017

not open on mondays, lots of flowers and paved walk with viewing areas. good time but windy bring a shell or breaker

Sun May 14 2017

You almost forget that you're in dusty, dry West Texas! There are birds, frogs, and rabbits all over with a big pond in the middle. The water looks stagnant and almost swamp-like, but it's still beautiful! Whoever made the boardwalk really knew what they were doing because it looks great. My only real gripes: the trail is only about a mile and a quarter (took me an hour while taking my time), and it's close to the highway, so you can hear all the traffic.

Thu Apr 06 2017

Cool spot for Midland. When you walk in there is a sign warning snake habitat. True. On my second loop during my run there was one on the path.

Mon Nov 21 2016

Best place in Midland to run/walk especially during evenings when cooler. Unexpected pond and greenery in desolate Midland, Tx.

Sun Oct 30 2016

For Midland... 5 stars. As good as it gets (in Midland) Nice to go around sunset. Saw a huge ass spider! Lots of birds. We saw one tree with red leafs and a Cardinal.

Wed Jul 13 2016

I am glad I went with my family but seeing as we drove 1.5 hours to get there once was enough. Definitely check it out if you're in the area. If I lived in Midland my family would go more often.

Sun Apr 03 2016

middle of town and stones - throw for a major high way is a great bird watching site with great bird - blinds

Thu Apr 16 2015

Prettiest place in midland. Nice get away from the flatness. Trees and water and slight elevation change. Nice 1.25 paved trail around a lake.

Tue Jan 27 2015

A nice walk at lunchtime.

Fri Mar 22 2013

This was built for flood control. Heavy rains in town flooded the suburban area below it. A dam was built that caught the excess runoff, and released it slowly to keep the lower area from flooding. This created a small lake that attracts many birds and other wildlife. The dam is just north of Interstate 20, west of MM 134.