Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Horse Shoe Lake Loop is a 4.6 mile loop trail located near Damon, Texas and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 45 feet Route Type: Loop

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ Foot trail along Horse Shoe Lake, plenty of gators sleeping along trail This is a flat land hike. The only elivation gain is up and down a 30 foot tower overlooking the 40 acre lake. There is plenty of wild life, dear, squirls, rabbits, birds, and yes, plenty of gators. Babies to full grown adults. Just give them about a 20 foot seperation as you walk past them on the trail. Never approach nor step over one.

The route shown here shows not just the Horseshoe Lake Loop but also the Elm Lake Loop and the Spillway Trail. Regardless, it is a nearly flat hike with great bird and wildlife viewing. I saw numerous turtles and several egrets and herons. Avoid this trail in the summer due to heat and bugs or right after a hard rain due to mud.

Great gravel/muddy trail, loops around a lot but connects with other trails to keep you exploring. Lots of woody shade in the beginning and then opens up to more swampy scenery. Lots of benches and families, great for all ages. Didn’t spot any gators this time.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Easy wide trails. Horseshoe trail was empty compared to Elm Trail

Sat Aug 04 2018

Fun hike for the family... kids 3-6 handlers it fine!

Thu Mar 29 2018

Used to come here as a kid (At least i think this is it... we called it the "Alligator Park"...) Great little park from what I remember! Lots of pavilions and grills. The walkway was well-maintained and had lots of docks along the way to get a better view of the gators and lily-pads and stuff. I'll always remember the giant-ass gator that was sleeping on the trail. His head must've been 4' long, but nobody noticed him 'til we were within a dozen feet or so!

Fri Jun 19 2015

Beautiful.

Sat Aug 18 2012

I find this to be a somewhat overrated ride. Unless you have a real fascination with large carnivorous reptiles, find another park to go to. I realize that it may have it's own beauty but, I've been there a few times and each time I went I wondered why I even bothered. I certainly wouldn't take my young kids there as you can get too close for comfort to the gators and if you know anything about them, you know there is no outrunning them easily. These are just my opinions. Thanks.

Tue Oct 04 2011

One of many great trails in the park. We did not see any gators on this one, but it was nice. Great for hiking or biking. When biking, I suggest planning your route to connect to other trails and make a big loop.

Sat Mar 23 2019