Hillview, Red Oak, and Cedar Flats Trails

Hillview, Red Oak, and Cedar Flats Trails is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Antonio, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Can be a little steep and rocky depending on which path you take, but it has great views! Combination of paved and gravel trails. My GSD handled it pretty well

Brought 6 month boxer puppy with me - he loved it. Took a water break once we got to the tower as that was about halfway. Didn't see a lot of people at all, but we arrived at the park at 630am.

Really like the area. When u get off the paved walkway the trail I was in was wide, easy to follow. Plus you can tell they spread mulch in the trail a lot- it was thick and cushion-y. I loved that. A few rocks and small tree stumps sticking up, so still need to be aware of your foot falls but felt very safe. Only reason I gave 4 not 5 stars- there were a lot of people but everyone very nice and respectful of walking space.

Great hike. Nice elevation changes.

Good loop - but too short. I would recommend doing it at least twice around. I like that so much is shaded.

This is just one of many loops that can be done at this very nice park. Trails are very well maintained and everyone can design combinations to suit what they wish to do....paved, natural, or rocky. We particularly liked Red Oak, northern section of Hillview, and Shady Creek, although we would utilize all of the trails here.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

The first time we tried Eisenhower Park, we didn't like it as much. We had selected the paved trails instead and didn't find it much of a challenge. The second time we chose Hillview/Ref Oak trails and found it to be an easy to moderate hike about 3 miles total from start to finish. Much better experience and would very likely return again.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Very cool afternoon walk, be aware not all trails are easy for kids or strollers as some people we saw thought

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Good place to get out of the city, and theres usually not *too* many people to run into!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I love it there! Amazing trails and paths. The view is spectacular! I would advise you go to the bathroom before cause although the porter potties are convenient, it would be best to not need them

Monday, July 18, 2016

This is a very nice trail for San Antonio. A nice view at the top of Cedar and Hill. Gets s little hot so take water. Playground could use shade for kids. The terrain provides some views but doesn't vary.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

It was a great hike all the way to the top and back down. Can't wait to go back.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

it was really fun and it is so beautiful. it is not easy but it can be done. you have to wear the right shoes.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Absolutely love this place!! I wish I knew about this park before!

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Awesome! The dogs loved it as well!

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Challenging yet beautiful. Most of the red oaks are around the bridge.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

This is a great place to hike and get away from the city! I suggest taking the Hill-view N. Trail and when almost to the top there is a cut off to the left that's about ten feet long. There is a rock I call "Meditation rock" right there...it over looks the city and it's a great resting spot.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Easy walking path, quiet, plenty of parking and children's playground. The restrooms were clean and water fountains near by. I loved the hiking part of the hill with steep rocks that got my heart pumping! This park also has pits for outside cooking with good shade.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Good elevation. Lots of traffic. People trail running etc.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Excellent 5K technical trail just outside of Camp Bullis. Definitely add the Red Oak loop if you run the Hillview Trail. The trail is rocky and rooty, and there are a few steep climbs and downhills, but still a fairly fast trail. No mountain bikers to worry about, but the trail can be crowded with hikers and dog walkers on weekends and in the early evenings. Some of the military folk from Bullis do PT here in the mornings. The trail is typically wide enough so that passing (or being passed) is not a problem. I've seen deer and raptors, and wildflowers in the spring. A really pretty, small park in which to hike, run or just meander. There are water fountains and restrooms near the parking lot. The rest rooms are usually clean and stocked. The water fountain also has a watering bowl for dogs. There are also playgrounds for the kids and picnic tables.