Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop

Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Quitaque, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A great trail to go and climb onto Haynes Ridge and hike out to the scenic overlook. The major hurdle is the climb about halfway through from the canyon onto the ridge. The North Prong is less strenuous than the South Prong.

Pretty easy for the most part though the last portion is difficult because of the climb. Take plenty of water, you’ll need it. We only hiked the south portion of the loop and back the same way but the views will make for beautiful pictures to brag about.

Trail is in pretty great shape despite heavy rains 2 days ago. The park has added tall white poles to aid tail navigation in addition to the T Posts with arrows. Everything is SO GREEN this year and fern Cave is glorious.

Great trail. It is one of the toughest trails in the park. You're going to need that gallon of water the park wants you to have for each person/pet. Advice: pay attention to the trail. 2 seconds of a wandering mind while hiking = broke ankle. This trail takes great effort with rocky and sandy sections. There are steep inclines/declines. Even after my bad ending on my first visit, my husband and I have gone back multiple times. If you want a little bit of a challenge, this is a good trail.

Bring at least a gallon a person/dog. We took the east side up from the South Prong campground and it was gorgeous. Fairly rocky and a little steep getting to the "cave," but well worth the climb. The eastern portion of the Upper Canyon Trail is much flatter, but almost wide open to sun with little breeze in the canyon. Take shade and water breaks when you can.

Really difficult on the first stretch but totally worth it. The personal challenge and the views make this worth it. Bring lots of water.

Probably my favorite trail in the park. I went in and did the upper canyon trail and took the Haynes back - seemed like most people did reverse and had to climb up a big pile of rocks that is now a trail down. Hurt the knees a little but not terribly. Glad I had trekking poles.

We stayed at the South Prong Primitive camp.
Was nice place just can't have campfires. That was the only bummer.
Can get pretty crowded during peak times too.
It's close to the Haynes Ridge trail and the Fern Cave.
We hiked to the Fern Cave and had some pretty rough spots but loved it.
Take water.

The upper canyon trail at the beginning is cake! A couple miles in you will be able to view "the last dance" - a pair of hoodos. As you get closer to fern cave the trail starts to gently climb in elevation and you will see some trees, mossy rock and a cooler shaded part of the trail. The trail is well marked with orange painted rods. Fern cave was the perfect spot to cool off and have lunch. The upward climb is slightly difficult from the fern cave. In my opinion the ascent to the ridge is easier from fern cave than from the beginning of canyon trail. With a few breaks my 9 yr old daughter, husband, friend and 3 month old husky were successful. The trail is easy going with magnificent views the next 2 miles. The trail headed down the canyon can be slightly treacherous if you don't watch your step, there are lots of washed and loose parts. The entire hike took about 5 hrs to complete (with a child and pup).

Very nice little trail. Highest point in the Park's canyons is midway through Haynes Ridge I believe. Fern Cave is a must see, which allows the excuse for having to take either Upper Canyon trail or Haynes Ridge back. Neither disappoint.

We took the north prong to the fern cave, then took a wrong turn and ended up scrambling our way up a gully hoping we were on the right path. Once at the top of the gully we met up with the trail. Don't know what sign we missed but I was happy to be on the right path again. Once atop the ridge its a nice stroll on top of the world.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016