Learn more

Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(119)
Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway

Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Quitaque, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 856 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

A great trail climbing up to Haynes Ridge and an amazing scenic overlook. Although rated as moderate, the middle portion of this trek can be a bit strenuous from the canyon onto the ridge. The North Prong is less strenuous than the South Prong.

Went to this trail in early May, it was so hot.. We ended up going Haynes Ridge and back down because it was later in the day and they were closing earlier due to COVID-19 protocol. Lots to large steps over rocks.

visited in June so start early. There are lots of horseflies so wear long hiking pants &/or use bug spray with high percentage of DEET. I wore shorts & used OFF with DEET of 25% big mistake. Also make sure your first aid kit incl benadryl/cortisone/anti itch/anti septic. I used all as I got big red welts from the horsefly bites & some kind of rash near my ankles. We hiked the trail clockwise Haynes Ridge to Upper north prong which I suggest at this time of the year bc the most strenous part of the trail will be at the beginning. I rate these two trails acc to the state park rating as very challenging & moderate. The views are great & worth the effort. I don't know what the temp ( in the 90's) but walking the last couple of miles was hard not bc of the trail but the heat, it was near 2pm & I used some of my precious water to put on my head ( I wore a hiking hat).

Beautiful views! First mile is a nice uphill climb.. we had nice cloud coverage and cooler temps. The red rock against the green is gorgeous. Fern caves is a highlight, don’t skip it!

Fantastic trail to discover West Texas. Bring water + bug spay + sun screen

Started this trail with my dog, but had to turn back because my pup couldn't handle the heat. Hope to return in the late fall/ early winter to finish what I started.

We did it clockwise, it was a bit challenging climbing up the ridge but after Fern Cave it should be an easy/moderate hike.

It was a perfect sunny day to hike with consistent wind flow through the canyon at the end of May. I recommend bringing sun screen and lots of water as there are not many shaded parts of this trail. The elevation varied with some areas of moderate terrain but mostly leveled ground and clear mile markers along the way. We were bitten by a few horseflies but overall not bothered by or witnessing many animals/bugs on the trail.

This trail blew me away. Took the drive from Amarillo got there before 10 saw a bunch of bison and prairie dogs along the way. Only five or so cars at the trailhead. Took the fork to the left first and started heading UP! Great views, seriously spectacular. Saw summer tanager, hummingbird moth at the ferns, colorful lizards, and a mississippi kite. Really cool formations all the way through, loved that the end of the hike was relaxed. Clocked in at less than 5 miles though. Follow my instagram for more adventures @julie_journeys

Overall this was a fantastic trail, my family and I which consist of three kids the oldest being eight and my wife finished this today and it was awesome. We also took our bloodhound and he did fantastic. We took the trail going clockwise and it was tricky in some parts especially for our little ones, but they pushed through. Once we made it to the top it was totally worth it. We had a nice little picnic/ snack break and finished the trail. Our kids were exhausted but loved it. I would definitely recommend it, just know that this trail can be physically brutal if you aren’t in shape.

Novice hiker here. Won’t attempt this again until much more training has occurred. Amazingly beautiful but an absolute reality check for endurance and ability.

This was an outstanding day hike. As others have mentioned, it is extremely steep on the beginning portion of you take it clockwise. I think its best enjoyed as a decline to end the hike. Our blue heeler had no problems with any portion of the trail, but make sure they are active enough to complete it! I saw someone carrying their poor dachshund whose feet couldn't handle the rocky portions. Overall, very fun, very scenic, pretty challenging.