Great Hills Park Trail

Great Hills Park Trail is a 2.3 mile loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty, lots of creek crossing. Take your bug spray though, and if you're bringing dogs bring a towel.

This is only my second official weekend in Austin after relocating for a job, so I needed to do some exploring. Got on this app and saw that this trail was less than a mile away from my apartment. It doesn't have any super steep climbing to do, but is very picturesque as you follow a small Creek the whole way. A little hot for a hike, but it was really shaded so it wasn't too bad! I will be coming here as often as I can since it's so close.

Priceless trail in Great Hills.

Ran here again recently. In my last review I talked about how rocky and rooty this trail is. Well it is rocky and rooty, but after running at various other trails in the Austin area, I gotta say that you could actually get the same stuff but a lot more of it at some of the other trails, trail systems. Don't get me wrong: these trails here are still way cool. I think I just typed a but hastily last time.

This time I actually saw some other people, and I didn't run back down the trail but instead looped around on the road like the map has. Also, a deer was on one of the trails and wouldn't leave, so I had to go the other way, which was fine.

Short but sweet mostly hidden from the surrounding neighborhoods

More easy than moderate, many stream crossings, great summer hike since it is mostly shaded.

Great trail. Easy to moderate. shaded. Runs along river.

This trail has multiple trailheads. At one trail head, Sierra Oaks, there's a nice playground, there's exercise equipment, and most importantly cool water from a clean fountain.

As for trail running, this one is fairly short, even if you take all the many offshoots. But don't let that deter you. This trail has, quiet possibly, the most rocky and rooty trails. Need a good workout for your feet specifically? Need to learn where to step so as to not slip or twist your ankle? Want to get some "high stepping" going (so as to avoid tripping and such)? This is your trail. And sometimes the trail gets so technical for short stretches, that you almost wonder if you're still on the actual trail, due to the jutting rocks, skinny trail, trees and rots everywhere. All in all, this is a great workout.

Also, this trail doesn't have any really steep or long hills, but it does have some steps, some inclines, etc. The creek crossings are pretty cool, all of them have good rocks to go across on. And the trail is marked very well. The signs are in very good condition and easy to spot. There are also some benches along the way.

All in all, I give this a four, and not a five, for the short length and the lack of any really good hill climbs (though in the neighborhood itself, via the streets and sidewalks, you can get some good hill work in).