Great Hills Park Trail

Great Hills Park Trail is a 2.3 mile loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very well maintained trail, with a creek along most of the way. I went on a Monday afternoon and didn’t see a single other person- my dog and I had the entire place to ourselves. A few creek crossings but well placed rocks keep you dry. Overall a simple, shady hike but you feel miles from anywhere.

nice neibourhood short trail.

Great place for a quick short hike if you don’t have a lot of time. Located within a neighborhood on the NW side of Austin.
Decent grade inclines, but overall pretty easy. Note that if you want to complete the loop, you actually have to exit the trail and walk a couple of blocks through a neighborhood to get to the next trailhead and get back on the trail.
Not a rough trail, but lots of creek crossings. I had waterproof hiking shoes on but was able to step on all the rocks and not get wet. But you never know when a foot might slip and you get a wet shoe and wet sock – and that’s no fun. Also, the steps on one of the crossings were spaced a little far apart. I’m tall so I was able to do it with no problem, but for people with shorter legs, your feet might get wet.
Really clean trail and well kept – very pretty scenery.

Beautiful and a lot of low water crossings with perfectly placed rocks. Perfect for the dog or family.... pretty

Nice trail. Easy to forget you are in Austin on most of it. There were a few times we had to cross a small stream so waterproof shoes and/or steady balance is a big plus

Nice trail, saw 3 deer, easy to forget i was in Austin. Be mindful which trailhead you enter from though, i got a bit turned around.

Walked it many times. A very pretty trail system and a decent elevation workout.

Nice hike inside a neighborhood. Great for senior dogs and pups alike. Minimal crowds

It was good but alittle confusing...

The Creek is nice to view. There can be muddy spots on the trail after rain. Two points if you find the in-use chicken coop! Floral Park Drive is marked with bike lanes. I parked on a nearby cul-de-sac.

Awesome hike, pretty trail, a lot of variation, the only thing i didn’t like was the walk after to the car through the neighborhood, be aware that in the middle of that is an opening that connects with the trail and is kind of a loop.

Pretty, lots of creek crossing. Take your bug spray though, and if you're bringing dogs bring a towel.

This is only my second official weekend in Austin after relocating for a job, so I needed to do some exploring. Got on this app and saw that this trail was less than a mile away from my apartment. It doesn't have any super steep climbing to do, but is very picturesque as you follow a small Creek the whole way. A little hot for a hike, but it was really shaded so it wasn't too bad! I will be coming here as often as I can since it's so close.

Priceless trail in Great Hills.

Ran here again recently. In my last review I talked about how rocky and rooty this trail is. Well it is rocky and rooty, but after running at various other trails in the Austin area, I gotta say that you could actually get the same stuff but a lot more of it at some of the other trails, trail systems. Don't get me wrong: these trails here are still way cool. I think I just typed a but hastily last time.

This time I actually saw some other people, and I didn't run back down the trail but instead looped around on the road like the map has. Also, a deer was on one of the trails and wouldn't leave, so I had to go the other way, which was fine.

Short but sweet mostly hidden from the surrounding neighborhoods

More easy than moderate, many stream crossings, great summer hike since it is mostly shaded.

Great trail. Easy to moderate. shaded. Runs along river.

This trail has multiple trailheads. At one trail head, Sierra Oaks, there's a nice playground, there's exercise equipment, and most importantly cool water from a clean fountain.

As for trail running, this one is fairly short, even if you take all the many offshoots. But don't let that deter you. This trail has, quiet possibly, the most rocky and rooty trails. Need a good workout for your feet specifically? Need to learn where to step so as to not slip or twist your ankle? Want to get some "high stepping" going (so as to avoid tripping and such)? This is your trail. And sometimes the trail gets so technical for short stretches, that you almost wonder if you're still on the actual trail, due to the jutting rocks, skinny trail, trees and rots everywhere. All in all, this is a great workout.

Also, this trail doesn't have any really steep or long hills, but it does have some steps, some inclines, etc. The creek crossings are pretty cool, all of them have good rocks to go across on. And the trail is marked very well. The signs are in very good condition and easy to spot. There are also some benches along the way.

All in all, I give this a four, and not a five, for the short length and the lack of any really good hill climbs (though in the neighborhood itself, via the streets and sidewalks, you can get some good hill work in).

Monday, May 01, 2017

Very short and fairly well marked. A lot of water crossings. Not an issue today, but could be problematic after a good rain

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Super pleasant walk through the woods from the south up to the play area and back. Easy trail, nothing to tricky

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

One of Northwest Austin's gems. Beautiful today after some heavy rain this weekend.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Not much signaling and I have to admit I got lost without my friend recording it. I loved the trail though! Beautiful and you cannot tell you are in Austin: totally felt inside woods!

Friday, February 10, 2017

A good quick trail especially in the middle of a residential area. Mostly quiet, but you're close to houses in some parts so be warned you'll sometimes hear lawnmowers going (in case you like that wilderness feel). Shady, some creek crossings, many man made steps. It's been helpful to me while I am trying to get back into shape and leaves me no excuses because it is so close.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Many creek crossings and mini waterfalls! Wasn't too busy on a Sunday afternoon either. I'll definitely be headed here again for a quick alone-time in nature.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I was surprised at how lovely I found this. Shaded. Lots of entrances. 2.9 miles if you connect all of the dots.

Monday, December 12, 2016

Very nice close in trail system. Rugged enough to give you a good work out.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Surprisingly beautiful and secluded in the middle of the city!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Totally acceptable nature walk in town. Great to get a couple miles in, or more if you have to retrace your steps to find your phone (like I did). I definitely recommend parking at the Fox Way trailhead. There's a cul de sac, and as previously mentioned, a trash can here and as far as I could tell, the only place to park a car. I encountered one other person on a Wednesday morning, some squirrels, butterflies and mosquitoes. It was lovely and aok!

For those to whom it matters, I had full cell service on AT&T the entire time.