Givens, Spicer & Lowry Trail to the Lighthouse Trail and Paseo del Rio

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(64)
Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Givens, Spicer & Lowry Trail to the Lighthouse Trail and Paseo del Rio is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

This was a spectacular trail! We hiked for 3.5 hours and it felt so much shorter because of all of the interesting views. CAUTION: BRING WATER!!!! I cannot stress that enough. Between myself, son and dog we drank 12 bottles of water and didn’t need to pee (sorry crude) at the end. Also make sure you are well hydrated before you even start. We started drinking double our normal water intake the morning before. (Myself- 1.5 gallons, son- 1 gallon) The heat is no joke and while there is shade, there isn’t a lot. Sunscreen was a must for my fair skin as well. After two applications of 70 spf, I still managed a slight burn. Don’t let all of the warning info scare you off. This was a must see, highly recommended adventure. Just be safe!

Such beautiful views!! We hiked this trail our second day in the park. We were fortunate because we saved it for the second day after the Rock Garden trail (tired legs and doggos), this is relatively easy hike. Our campground neighbor suggested GSL as opposed to Lighthouse trail like we originally planned, due to better views throughout and being way less crowded (and we're glad he suggested it!!)

Awesome technical trail. Not for beginners.

Great hike! My husband and I hiked the 6 mi. in and out in about 3.25 hours. So many hoodoos and other rock formations. Simply gorgeous everywhere you turn!!! The path was mostly dirt, easy to hike. We were able to see the lighthouse in the distance but didn’t have the time to continue onto Lighthouse Trail. We would rate this trail as EASY for hikers.

Really great trail to take to get to the lighthouse, lighthouse is fun to explore; last bit to lighthouse on the displayed trail is wrong (it tells you to climb a rock face), the actual trail doesn't look like a trail but at least it's possible.

Carry an umbrella and watch out for mountain bikers on this trail.

Very scenic trail, lots of pic taking opportunities. A lot of animal tracks. We turned L at end and did start of Lighthouse trail back to parking lot about 1.6 miles, then caught the Pasea Del Rio trail back to parking lot. By that time it was in mid 90s and not even noon yet so it was nice to finish on a partly shaded river trail back to trailhead instead of doing it as an out and back. Take plenty of water and do as early in morning as possible. Really pretty trail, lots of wildflowers even though end of summer.

This was a great hike. I’m in my mid 50’s and in moderate shape and my wife and I had no problem making this loop. We started early and drank eight bottles of water to help combat the July heat. GSL Trail is beautiful and well worth the extra miles. Light House Trail was an easier walk and noticeably busier than GSL. We did struggle at times with missing trail markers but it didn’t stop us from having a successful hike. The huge biting flies were awful and didn’t seem deterred by Off! Took us about five hours which included several water breaks and lots of pictures!

Mon Dec 03 2018

Same as the other trail entry. Line up this map with Google Maps and Streetview and it's pretty easy to figure out the trailhead. Trail itself is easy to follow with signposts every tenth of a mile. Nothing mind-blowing about the trail, but it's got some nice colors and rock formations to look at. Not really tough with elevation gain or anything. This trail is open to mountain bikers but the GSL trail is closed to horses.

Fri Sep 14 2018

As another poster mentioned, the trailhead is a little difficult to find, but once on it is well-marked. Bring plenty of water. This is desert hiking, it's very hot!

Wed Jul 18 2018

one of the nicer trails. Hard to find the start point because road signs are not good. Once on trail, it is well marked. It is in and out, not a loop with very nice views, close ups of rock formations that make up the Canyon . one of my favourites

Sat Jun 02 2018

Really enjoyed this trail. You can take this trail to the lighthouse trail. This is a popular trail for mountain bikers.