George Mitchel Preserve Trails

George Mitchel Preserve Trails is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hufsmith, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fitness trail and separate bike trail that is very narrow and filled with tree routes. If you're a taller rider the bike path will be more challenging due to the hanging limbs and cuts in the trail.

West trail was great. Luckily, trees are marked, the farther in we got. Only wildlife we saw was a squirrel, but signs of rooting in the ground by hogs most likely. Very cool trail. Very wooded and winding. Had to cross a couple of tributaries. Fun! Took us an hour to go in and come back out.

I really liked this trail because it's very secluded and surrounded by trees. It gives you the illusion that you are far from the suburbs. It's hard to find good hiking trails in Houston. This trail is a nice escape from the city. However, my friend and I ran into a copperhead snake right on the walking trail. My friend almost stepped on it and it rose its head in strike position so we turned around and watched the ground VERY carefully the rest of the way. So be careful when walking and keep a close eye on the ground. This snake blended in very well with the sand and leaves. I didn't even see it. Luckily my friend saw it. Be careful bringing your dogs on the trails too. Other than that it was a nice trail. Good amount of sun exposure.

What an awesome place! Accidentally ran 6 miles! It's beautiful and fun!

Great biking trail

Rode it a couple days ago. Bike trail is fine, kind of narrow for me. Bring bug spray! Mosquitos were brutal!

Most of the path is covered which is nice. The trail has been nicely maintained for the most part. I decided to go off on the wet land trail but where the marker stops is where this trail has been overgrown. I did come across several people while walking. Only complaint is that there are lots of horse flies. I recommend long paints and bug spray!

My go-to peaceful spot. I always make sure to douse myself with essential-oil bug spray, but I love this place. I've had the pleasure of meeting wild hogs, a coral snake, skinks, squirrels, an otter and an owl. They are rare sites, but I count myself lucky. A great place to walk with the dogs, jog, or go on the root-laden bike trails if adventurous.