George Bush Park - Barker to Bayou Bridge

George Bush Park - Barker to Bayou Bridge is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Houston, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, birding, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail itself is as boring as could be - a long, straight, flat, 10 foot wide length of asphalt. But this path is essentially a safe, comfortable causeway through a swamp that is teeming with life and threatening wildness. During the last hours of the day, after the sun goes behind the trees and the forest starts to come alive, it was a magical and beautiful place that completely distracted me from the path.

I tried to take the off-asphalt section of the path which angles off to the northeast but it became impossibly muddy so I turned back after 3/4 of a mile.

Note that I was hiking a week after some significant, though not flooding, rains. Your experience may be very different during an extended dry spell.

This trail is across from an active target shooting range.

I was not impressed for the first 15 minutes of my walk; (asphalt trail under the open Sun with no shade.)

But the trail eventually reached a pleasant "nature area" with nice shade.

I will come back again.