Galveston Island State Park Trail

Galveston Island State Park Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Galveston, Texas that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Directions from Galveston, TX: The park can be reached from Interstate 45 by exiting right onto 61st Street and traveling south on 61st Street to its intersection with Seawall Boulevard and then right (west) on Seawall (FM 3005) 10 miles to the park entrance

Randomly stopped in Galveston along my road trip and found this little state park. Park is well taken care of with wide trails that are mown, bridges across water, and raised platforms for watching. Lots of birds of various species.

I took my dog out on the trails, it was nice and well kept. There were lots of birds and we saw an opossum. I was hoping to see a gator but no luck today. The kayaking looks like it would be great here, can’t wait to come back and give it a try. Definitely worth checking out but it’s mostly a prairie habitat and not too exciting. If you like birds and peaceful walking trails it’s perfect.

Nice easy hike. Wide trails, marked well. If you plan on being out for a while bring water, there is not a lot of shade here. The day I went some of the trails were flooded and I could not hike them. Good spot for kayaking in the bay.

Great place to hike and fish!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Also dog friendly! It's very peaceful and you can see some gorgeous birds. Expect muddy trails if it's been raining.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

nice free open space, lots of room to move around. trails are mainly sand except one on the lake side. lots of birds, saw a bobcat rush out of some brush near me, and an allagator swimming through the lake. muggy with no shade so be prepared for the hot sun. been there many times, and the air stands still on the bay side which is where all of the trails are. no trails on the beachside but more wildlife and a nice constant breeze.

Monday, August 22, 2016

This area has a nice trail right along the coast. I wasn't able to do the entire trail, but what I did was very nice and clean. Lots of people out on the weekend!

Friday, May 06, 2016

Galveston has changed dramatically from the previous reviewer's experience. It's recovery from Hurricane Ike's devastation in 2008 is remarkable. The Historic Pleasure Pier wasn't even under construction when the last review was done. Galveston Island State Park has oodles of new facilities and over 15,000 new trees have been planted to start to replace the canopy lost by Ike - with another 10,000 to go. This includes large Live Oaks and Palms running the full 4.5 mile length of Historic Broadway Boulevard. All that said, I'm looking forward to hiking the GISP trail, have only run it during our annual New Year's Day fun run. Have kayaked from the park and that's awesome too, especially during migration - we're a first landing for tons of migrating birds and monarchs. Oh, also, don't miss the 3rd largest Mardi Gras celebration in the U.S. every year - SUPER fun! Even though I live here, I give it 4 stars because there aren't any mountains nearby! :)

scenic driving
Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Love this dreary little beach town in Texas. The beach is not that great looking but there is some good swimming, biking, driving the strip and restaurants. The water park Schlitterbahn and the Lone Star Flight Museum is great for the whole family. I would definitely visit again.

Friday, March 17, 2017