Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails

Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Worth, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

scenic driving

The Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge is a hidden jewel-a wilderness comprised of forests, prairies, and wetlands reminiscent of how much of the Fort Worth/Dallas Metroplex once looked. Replete with native flora and fauna, beckons to those searching for a tranquil piece of nature. At 3,621 acres, the FWNC&R is one of the largest city-owned nature centers in the United States. Over 20 miles of hiking trails provide easy access to a myriad of natural wonders to be found on the refuge. It was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1980 by the National Park Service.

As of 01/06/2018 the refuge is closed and no access allowed to this trailed

nice trails, clean, scenic is good.

I covered parts of Prairie, Deer Mouse, Riverbottom, and Caprock - a little over 3miles.
Overall, even despite the heat it wasn't bad. The bugs are out in full force which was really irritating the entire time, and there are huge wasps so be aware if you're allergic. When I got to Riverbottom I only stayed on it for 10min and then ran to the paved road when I was sure I heard an alligator dunk himself; could have been a big turtle but I wasn't taking any chances. Caprock has a big steep climb on one side of it, not sure about the other. All in all, it was a fairly easy and nice walk.

Awesome walk. Nicely kept trais.

The trails were well maintained. The markings for the trails need some work. Saw bison, deer and one rattler. Traveled the prairie, deer mouse and river bottom out to the rest a while
structure. it was an easy hike.

Love this place for hiking! The trails are relatively easy, and there's a beautiful view on all of them. A few are close to the water, so if you're weary of snakes and such, I'd avoid those. There's a ton of wildlife to see and an interactive area where you can learn more about the wildlife around you. It is a $5 fee to get in, dogs are allowed but must remain leashed. They also have events from time to time. It's a gorgeous center and a great place to take kids to educate them on the wildlife and ecosystems around them!

The map was a tad confusing, however I had a great guide with me.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

GORGEOUS day for a hike! So many years since I've been hear, so nice to rediscover. So many trails to discover and so much to do! Will definitely bee back soon! #52hikechallenge2016

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Good trail, not very difficult.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My husband and I wanted to check this place out because we had heard good things about it through their Facebook page. we went and hiked for about two hours. There was a lot of neat wildlife out there, including the Buffalo like they advertise. Unfortunately, for my taste, some of the trails were not maintained enough. There were a few places you would have to walk through tall grass, and considering the proximity to the lake and the fact that we spotted a cottonmouth, it seemed like it would increase your chances of being bit by a snake.

There is a neat little educational center with an owl, hawk, baby alligator, snapping turtle, and a few snakes on display. They also have a neat birdwatching room. Even as an adult, I felt like the center was neat. I would recommend these trails still, but be wary on them because of the snakes and the fact it isn't as maintained as some of the other non-concrete trails in the area.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great shaded trail along the Trinity. Called Turtle Trail off of Shoreline Drive.

Friday, June 03, 2016

I really like this place. Fun to see bison and all kinds of other wildlife. Pretty peaceful scenery and overall it's a beautiful park.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Easy trails with nice CCC stone work.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Good fun easy trail, we saw plenty of wildlife including an Aligator.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Beautiful area!

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Beautiful day and the trails we took by Greer Island were excellent!

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Love this place. Frequent visitor. Many different trails to choose from and the scenery is magnificent.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Beautiful out here.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Loved it !! Cold 38 degree day so we took short 3 miles hike by the waterline. Will be back very soon. Beautiful trails and very quiet

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Multiple trails with easy to moderate difficulty. Very nice nature trails with wildlife and trees all around, not to mention the lake. Needs multiple visits to complete all trails in this place. Nice for a hiking weekend while enjoying the city at night.