Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails

Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge Trails is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Worth, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

scenic driving

whitewater kayaking

The Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge is a hidden jewel-a wilderness comprised of forests, prairies, and wetlands reminiscent of how much of the Fort Worth/Dallas Metroplex once looked. Replete with native flora and fauna, beckons to those searching for a tranquil piece of nature. At 3,621 acres, the FWNC&R is one of the largest city-owned nature centers in the United States. Over 20 miles of hiking trails provide easy access to a myriad of natural wonders to be found on the refuge. It was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1980 by the National Park Service.

The map was a tad confusing, however I had a great guide with me.

GORGEOUS day for a hike! So many years since I've been hear, so nice to rediscover. So many trails to discover and so much to do! Will definitely bee back soon! #52hikechallenge2016

Good trail, not very difficult.

My husband and I wanted to check this place out because we had heard good things about it through their Facebook page. we went and hiked for about two hours. There was a lot of neat wildlife out there, including the Buffalo like they advertise. Unfortunately, for my taste, some of the trails were not maintained enough. There were a few places you would have to walk through tall grass, and considering the proximity to the lake and the fact that we spotted a cottonmouth, it seemed like it would increase your chances of being bit by a snake.

There is a neat little educational center with an owl, hawk, baby alligator, snapping turtle, and a few snakes on display. They also have a neat birdwatching room. Even as an adult, I felt like the center was neat. I would recommend these trails still, but be wary on them because of the snakes and the fact it isn't as maintained as some of the other non-concrete trails in the area.

Great shaded trail along the Trinity. Called Turtle Trail off of Shoreline Drive.

I really like this place. Fun to see bison and all kinds of other wildlife. Pretty peaceful scenery and overall it's a beautiful park.

Easy trails with nice CCC stone work.

Good fun easy trail, we saw plenty of wildlife including an Aligator.

Beautiful area!

Beautiful day and the trails we took by Greer Island were excellent!