Fort Sam Houston Hike Loop

Fort Sam Houston Hike Loop is a 5.7 mile loop trail located near San Antonio, Texas and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1881 Army Fort, 2 museums, Quadrangle building, Gift Chapel, Officers Row * Old Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC), soon US Army South Headquarters * AMEDD Museum * Combat Medic Memorial statue * 1910 first flight marker for Lt. Benjamin Foulois * National Historic Landmark marker * 1909 Gift Chapel * 1876 Quadrangle--gift shop, deer, peacocks, & watchtower that appeared in first Academy Award (silent) film "Wings" * Armor display, parade ground, & officers row * 1917 home of General John "Blackjack" Pershing * Fort Sam Houston Museum * 1941 home of General Dwight D. Eisenhower * 1916 Camp Wilson marker Since 9/11, access to the post & traffic thru the post has been limited, which helps make this an even more peaceful & scenic hike. Be sure to visit the two museums & get your volksmarch "start card" punched. The exhibits are extensive & comprehensive. There is water & restrooms, & at the Fort Museum, a film.

I completed this trail on 28 April 2018… Even though it shows in my history, it does not show I completed it here. This was a spectacular trail, I and based on camp Bullis and only came to Fort Sam when I needed to. It was great to see it through the trail provided on this app because I saw so much I never would have seen. The grave of Pat the horse, the site of the first army flight, the museums and my favorite was the Quadrangle. I meant to run this trail, but I stopped so many times just so I could see everything. This really is a fantastic base.

Not really a trail, this is just a walk around Fort Sam Houston using the sidewalks. It's a nice walk though and has a couple of free museums along the way.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I loved this trail. The preserved buildings and history was wonderful. We had our dog so we were not able to go into the museums or the quadrangle. Will definitely go back to see those!

Monday, July 10, 2017