Escarpment, Fossil Valley, Cedar Brake Loop

Escarpment, Fossil Valley, Cedar Brake Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Duncanville, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 492 feet Route Type: Loop

Closed on Mondays! Trail steward is constantly maintaining and expanding the area. Rain makes most of the lower trails a muddy mess and can possibly close them.

This is the best local place to hike. Lots of trail options

It is beautiful,we loved it!

Well maintained set of trails. Will be back to run sometime.

Great starter trial if you want to explore taking it up as an add in or trail running!

don't miss this one. great hike.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Heavily traveled trails. Lots of people blasting music. Having said that, it’s nice hiking with elevation gains and losses throughout. It’s the hilliest part of the DFW metroplex.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Nice trails, but heavy traffic.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Very nice scenery! Kids loved it!!!

Saturday, June 09, 2018

Hard, steep (had to carry bike a few times) & poisonous snake habitat.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Good trail in Dallas. Not too difficult and heavily trafficked.

Monday, May 14, 2018

I echo much of what has been said. My biggest concern was that many of the dogs I saw were overheated and not doing well. Too many people didn’t have enough water for themselves or their pets. Dogs don’t sweat under their fur so they can’t cool down like humans. If your taking your dog pay attention to their needs and be prepared to help cool them off.

Saturday, March 03, 2018

I came at 6:45am on a 60 degree Saturday morning and hiked the Cattail Pond/Fossil Valley/Cedar Brake trails, & tho it was totally packed at 9am when I left, there weren't many people at all on the trails for most of my hike. Really lovely scenery and trails - nothing compared to, like, the Wichita Mountains, but for so close to Dallas it's great, I'll be back a lot. Cattail Pond is a terrific place to be just after sunrise :-)

Saturday, January 27, 2018

A complex of trails that are by far the best in the DFW area, in my opinion. Not much solitude, unless you can come on a non-holiday weekday, but the nature and climbs are awesome!

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Surprising ups and downs for an urban hike. Despite the amount of cars in parking lot, the trail was not crowded thanks to the numerous options!

Friday, January 05, 2018

Jan 2, 2016- this was a fun hike that had many stops along the way to catch your breath!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Probably the best trail system in DFW, definately the most natural. if only the traffic noise wasn't there to remind you where you're at. Some of the steepest hikes up and down in DFW, this trail will get you in shape fast. Very nice, it's like leaving DFW and going straight into the hill country. Some nice vistas along the way, beautiful trees.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

I’ve only done the Fossil Valley portion. It’s gorgeous but has some steep ups and downs.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Moderate trail with some hills.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

As described here, this is actually the combination of several trails including Cattail Pond, Fossil Valley, Cedar Brake and Possumhew. Bottom line is that this is one of the very best places to hike in DFW. Bikes aren't allowed here, so there no need to worry about being run over. You will see lots of dogs on the trail, especially the Cattail Pond section. If you bring your dog, keep them on leash. Before or after your hike (during spring or summer), check out the red plants to the right of the restrooms and you'll hopefully see some hummingbirds.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Nice trail. I would not rate this as hard though- Maybe moderate at the most. It was pretty busy but I did go on a Sunday morning. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. I’ll be going again!

Friday, October 13, 2017

A majority of this loop is in the shade and is a good mix of elevation changes. So far, this is my favorite trail in DFW.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

I started coming here for the past few weekends and this is by far one of the best hiking trails in North Texas. The park is very pet friendly and most folks pick up after there dogs.. The trails are for the most part very well maintained. The best time to see the wildlife is before 9am because after that the park gets pretty busy. see y’all out there :)

Sunday, August 27, 2017

I love this trail!! Felt safe - upkeep was awesome

Monday, August 07, 2017

Add difficulty by going in the following order: (1) Escarpment, (2)Fossil Valley, and (3) Cedar Brake. You'll get an excellent hill workout.

Friday, August 04, 2017

It's a good place to get a workout but there's just too many people, and rude people at that!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

9-11 am hot hike, clean trails, moderate amount of people, good time! Signs easily mark trails. :)

Sunday, July 09, 2017

My husband and I went there today for the first time. I know it is labeled as hard but I thought it was more like extreme, well at least for me. I'm still a begginer. Super fun, challenging and beautiful. I highly recommend.

Monday, June 19, 2017

It was poorly maintained, but I have to admit it was awesome and challenging. The signs need some work