New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Ernst Tinaja Trail

Ernst Tinaja Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

1.4 miles roundtrip. A short walk up a sandy wash leads to a canyon of highly-convoluted rock layers. A short walk up a sandy wash leads to a canyon of highly-convoluted rock layers. The large natural tinaja holds water all year long. Be careful near the tinaja's edge. Over the years deer, javelina, and even mountain lions have been found drowned in this tinaja. The trailhead is located off the Old Ore Road, 5 miles from the southern end near Rio Grande Village. High clearance vehicles are necessary to reach this enjoyable trail. A primitive campsite is located near the trailhead.

Great hike One of the best out here.

Easy hike with some fun rocks to climb. We saw hundreds of butterflies!! Watched them puddling for a long time, absolutely amazing!!! The drive to get their was fun and adventurous too!

Came in early December. Short but stunning. Worth the rough road drive to reach. Amazing variety of rock formations, colors and textures. Only a few traces of water.

I've done this trail before and I loved it. Wanted to see what is past the end of the marked route. It's pretty but there are no more big rock formations after the canyon turns left and the last big pool

To the tinaja it may be a short hike, but I would recommend hiking all the way through the canyon to the wide valley beyond, which must be about another mile. My 8 and 11 yr old kids loved this hike as it has tons of rocks to climb over and even some places that I’ve seen people bouldering. Lots of rock climbing to do along this beautiful tight canyon. The rock formations at the beginning are amazing. It seems like it would be a great place to have a class on geology.

We stayed at the adjoining primitive roadside campsite, and decided to do this trail when we woke up. Not sure we would of ever found this trail if we hadn’t! It was beautiful, and we continued on past the tinaja a ways before turning back. Seems like you can go for at least another mile or two though the canyon. Over all, it was gorgeous and I think a must do here in Big Bend.

Easy but beautiful and interesting short hike. Be sure you have an AWD and high-clearance vehicle you get here. Worth the slow drive in!

Short, but great for exploring.

Luckily we camped at the primitive campsite right next to this or we would have probably never ventured down the long gravel road to get to this trail! So glad we did because this was a hidden gem! Road says 4 wheel drive recommended but it’s definitely not necessary as long as it’s dry! Gorgeous and super cool layered rock canyon!

Awesome short hike. Ask park rangers at the visitors center before you make the drive. They will have current conditions of old ore road and can tell you if your specific vehicle can safely make the trip. We did see a good sized rattle snake so pay attention while you're hiking. Visited Juan and the nearby cemetery. Both cool stops!

Mon Sep 24 2018

Seen it wet and dry - very neat formations

Fri Aug 17 2018

Our favorite short hike in BBNP. Everyone warns of drive there but we come up Old Ore from the south headed north in small SUV and have never had issues getting to trail head. Color and rock formations are amazing. Did the hike 12 years ago with a baby in my backpack carrier, a 5 year old and 6 year old. Did it again several times since, Easy hike and well worth it. Most people stop at the tinaja but with a little bouldering you can go pretty far further. Watch hand placement as always, we did see a gorgeous blacktail rattlesnake on the cliffs while night hiking here. Make sure to stop at Juan's gravesite on the drive in to pay respects. Just north past the trailhead on Old Ore you can follow a dry creek to a small cemetery with about a dozen gravesites not marked on many maps.

Sun Mar 18 2018

This was a fun hike for the kids. Lots of big rocks to climb over. Started to get a little warm in the afternoon sun but that is to be expected

Fri Feb 02 2018

Really surprised at the end. The rock formations out shown the water hole in the rocks. Stunning and intriguing.

Mon Dec 25 2017

I walked in from the south as an adventure through the desert. Glad I did; a normal sedan would have a difficult time not ending up with damage. Worth the extra few miles each way really. Good luck to the dude in the rental mini van I saw headed in.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Interesting rock formations and terrain. Just my son Matt and I. It was great.

Sat Apr 01 2017

Great short hike. The drive to get there though is rough.

Fri Mar 17 2017

Great hike. Awesome rock formations throughout. Trail is listed as easy, and it is because of the short distance. I would caution that it is a bit technical in spots. Kids will do fine but very little ones may not be able to get through without some significant assistance. Also not great on bad knees. The easiest way to get to the trail is via Ole Ore Road from the South. Ole Ore Road is very rough to the north and requires high ground clearance.

Tue Apr 26 2016

Wonderful rock formations. Very cool hike.

Sun Jan 19 2014

Love this!

Sat Mar 03 2012

Neat place! The Old Ore Road can be rough at times.

Sat Sep 11 2010

My favorite hike in Big Bend outside of the Chisos.