Enchanted Rock Loop Trail

Enchanted Rock Loop Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fredericksburg, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please Note: Dogs are not allowed on the rock dome itself - only the trail loop.

I enjoy running the loop trail. The trail itself is about 4.3 miles, but you'll have to walk another half mile or so through parking lots at the end of the trail. I park at the camp sites and start at the south entrance -- this makes for a tough first half mile but after that the remainder of the trail slopes gently downhill for the most part. The trail is a combination of large flat rocks and crushed granite. It is well maintained with very few loose rocks. Along Sandy Creek the trail gets overgrown with vegetation at times: too narrow with plants brushing up against my shins.

Nice easy loop trail addition to hiking the Summit trail. Nice views of the surrounding area. We started early when the park opened and hardly anyone was hiking at that time.

Love this trail. Lots of wildflowers and cactus blooms in the spring. Go on a weekday though, weekends are crowded.

Been going to Lost Maples since I was little. Great, easy hike but so crowded nowadays.

Fun adventure even though we didn’t do the loop. Hiked to the top and enjoyed a picnic! Beautiful scenic views and so big up there. Thought it would be crowded but we were able to find our own great spot!

Easy hike, good views

Great views from the summit, very clean and clear trails are marked well, outer trail has out bathrooms but smell horrible. To get there on a weekend you may have to wait but make sure you get a ticket if you can’t get in the park right away. Putter trail is defiantly longer than 4 miles that is marked

Pretty steep start if your starting from the beginning. Views are so so awesome. Plenty of running water for our border collie after the rain. Detour to Moss Lake was nice, beware of all the pig tracks and signs of activity but a very nice relaxing trail!

Enchanted Rock Loop is the outer trail inside the park boundary. It is probably the least used trail, despite the number of reviews here, many of which are describing other trails. It does not include Echo Canyon or Turkey Pass trails. You can do the Enchanted Summit first, but it is a stand alone trail and by far, the most popular (and is listed as a stand alone by AllTrails). The east and west parts of this trail are interesting. Part of the southern section is walking through the park larger picnic area and parking lots. The northern part is a gravel service road along a ridge top and is so, so. My recommendation is once past Buzzard's Roost, look for the cutoff to Base Trail which goes along the north side of Freshman Mt. and Enchanted Rock. Take Echo Canyon Trail northwest past Moss Lake and it will hook you back up with Loop Trail and go left. Much more interesting route throughout.

We loved this trail! It wasn’t crowded with people like some trails are. Most of the activity took place near or on the summit. Took us about 3 hours to complete. Didn’t come across too much water but plenty of bathrooms I think we came across three total on this trail. Pretty great trail once we got to the boulders it became challenging but so so rewarding once we reached part of the summit at the end! Definitely going back soon before it gets too hot.

Last weekend I took my 73 young mom on the summit hike then down to echo canyon to get out. Next day we did the loop around the rock. We took the trail counter clockwise. Cutting through the valley between Turkey Peak and Enchanted proved to be a rock scramble for short people and then again crossing between Enchanted and Little rocks was even more challenging, but it was beautiful and we enjoyed both days.

Great day spent hours climbing rocks off the beaten path. Really nice trail, you'll have an awesome time if you ever off the trail and find your own way to the top. I took my puppy and he climbed and loved it! Try the slushies at the bottom of the summit definitely visiting again

Rather than following the hordes up the rock, consider doing the base hike. Much quieter and more peaceful. Greater chance of seeing wildlife too.

Very steep and awesome!

Fantastic trail, great view as a reward!

Hot, humid, sunny, steep....but worth it! Bring lots of water and sunblock.

Killer run around the domes and various granite outcroppings! The climbing here is about the only public place you'll place cams (climbing) for hundreds of miles.

Did about 2/3 of the loop then cut in around the lake to head up a gulley of boulders and around to go to top of rock. The loop is easy, rocks get a lot more challenging. When we went in to the park they told us trail to top was closed because of rain (makes slippery rocks!) but most people were still going up, it had dried quite a bit by the time we got there. Beautiful scenery!

An excellent trail with diverse views and terrain. Not too heavily trafficked so plenty of wildlife. The shade and breeze make it a good option in the summer. Suitable for families.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

More like walking. It's an EASY loop. Very pretty scenery. Do the rock first to get your heart rate up then head down and do the loop. GO EARLY-LIKE REALLY EARLY!!!! They close fast.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

It's a gravel road. that's not hiking, it's walking

Monday, February 20, 2017

Easy loop hike. It was honestly more like a walk than a hike, but it was neat to view Enchanted Rock from all angles.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Beautiful scenery and challenging trail!

Friday, January 20, 2017

Completed this hike accompanied with a ranger. I was pleased overall.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Awesome Spiritual Hike for me

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Very cool formation, nice offshoots, fun for kids, great town!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Cooked my lunch at the top with my camp stove. Nice climb

Friday, August 05, 2016

loved the view from almost up top. it was too high for me :/ and was too tired due to us getting lost for 1/2 mile...the trail is nice and calm early in the morning lots of tiny frogs, birds, and squirrels and not to mention lizards. we had a fun time but definitely would of been better in the winter.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Had a great time! Beautiful views from the top.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This trail is lovely, go early and enjoy the quiet!