New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Emory Peak Loop via Pinnacles & Laguna Meadow

Emory Peak Loop via Pinnacles & Laguna Meadow is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,680 feet Route Type: Loop

The view was worth the work. For mine and my wifes first real hike only took us 2 hours and 20min to summit. 30ft of climbing at the end but even an inexperienced climber can handle it.

Climbed to Emory Peak via the Pinnacles Trail on 21 Nov 2019. Steady uphill climb but the switchbacks provide relief. Amazing views of Casa Grande and surrounding valley going up. Scrambled up the left side then the right, not for the faint of heart but the top provides the best view of the entire park. Less then .25 from the trailhead coming down we ran into bear coming up the trail, snapped a few photos then yelled and the bear left the trail and quietly skirted around to our right, great experience!

Hot, hard, but amazing and 100% worth it. Bring at least a gallon of water. Did see a bear, so watch out.

Really hard trail. Takes around 7 hours. Bring a lot of water. At least a gallon. Don’t skimp. Something with electrolytes goes a long way too.

I am 30 and run 3-4 times a week and this trail was pretty tough for me, but I also went in the afternoon when it was hot. I highly recommend you do this trail in the morning, it will take you 5.5-6 hours starting from the visitor center (Pinnacle Trail) Bring plenty of water! I got to the top and was a little too scared to rock climb because I was so tired from the hike. The top is very steep, quite a few people ahead of us did not attempt it as well. Maybe next time I'll concur the climb!

last weekend we did a 2 day hike to complete this trail. We took off from Chisos Basin parking lot and traveled clockwise via pinnacle trail got to our campsite at TM1 and rested before heading to Emory Peak. Next day we did the second half which was much easier and more of a gradual decent. Both days were sunny with some clouds that would offer some much needed shade. At night and early in the morning it was nice and cool but would warm up by mid day and stay like that for the rest of the day.

I just completed this hike yesterday. I started from chisos basin visitor parking to Pinnacle trail to Emory peak then boot canyon to Colima trail and laguna meadow , to visitor parking.. according to my garmin 5 gps the loop was 12.6 miles total not 11 as stated above. In my opinion and also my 14 years old kid. the final 25 five feet scramble to Emory peak is more dangerous and scary than Angel’s landing in Zion’s National Park. which we just completed about 3 months ago. It is seriously dangerous and should only be attempted by people that are fit and without a vertigo issue. With regard to the view .spectacular will not make justice to it.. Bring a lot of water and dress with layers. Overall excellent hike ;but no for the people who wants a hike without a significant risk.

o Note that red path on this Alltrails map is NOT 11 miles as indicated (I work at NASA and trust my GPS!). That mileage appears to be from the start of the pinnacles trail (where it Y’s) but the red markings start from the visitor center parking lot – that hike is 12.6 miles in total. We went clockwise towards Emory peak (about 6 miles from the parking lot) which gets all the steepness in the beginning of your hike. After doing the peak (nice peak, that requires some rock climbing and not for the faint of heart, a little crowded during spring break), we continued towards the Colima trail and the Laguna Meadows trail. This is roughly constant elevation with some awesome views and few people followed by a more gradual descent back to the visitor center. Note if you prefer gradual climbs I would recommend going counterclockwise from the visitor center. Really nice hike but a little longer than we expected.

Great Hike! Strenuous is correct. The first 3 miles up pinnacles was pretty brutal. I carried 5L of water and drank it all. Carry snacks and be prepared for the climate to change significantly while you hike. The GPX file didn't download correctly and I didn't check it before we left. The GPX I got only got us to the split from Pinnacles to Emory peak. Definitely take advantage of the bear boxes and stash your pack before you hike to Emory. The squirrels at the peak will tear you pack up to get your snacks in the 10 minutes it takes you to climb the scramble to the peak if you leave the pack unattended. We did the scramble on the left. It's a little lower than the peak on the right, but the view was still amazing. I loved this hike and would definitely do it again.

Great trail. Take lots of water any time of year. This was a great day for it, as the morning lows were in the 50's and topped out at 72 for the day. Took us right at 7 hours for the roundtrip.

Mon Jan 07 2019

alrighty. this was my first major hiking trip ever and i did this loop by myself. i am from the midwest and had very little. concept of what a desert hike is like. it was BEAUTIFUL . however, i ran out of water after Emory Peak. thankfully I ran into some good people who could spare some. there are some amazing views along the meadow trail. i started at sunrise and it took me 6 bours because i sat for like 30 minutes at emory peak and took a few breaks in between. this is bear country. be sure to bring a loud whistle or something noisy to scare them away especially if you are hiking by yourself. if i do this again, i would do this trail backwards -chisos basin trail;emory;pinnacles;longmeadow. having to hike through the basin at the end was hell but my perspective would probably be different if i was properly hydtraded. it is a beautiful trek. bring way more water than you think and always prepare

Tue Oct 09 2018

I really enjoyed this hike. I'm pretty new to hiking, but relatively fit. I live at sea level, so the altitude was a bit of challenge too. The first leg of this hike is the most difficult. The hike up the Pinacles is steep, full of switchbacks, and long enough to make you work for it. That said, there are some stunning vistas of the rest of the Chisos mountains. Once you complete the first leg, you get to the splinter off for Emory Peak. This was an easier leg, but still challenging, especially towards the end. I was racing a thunderstorm up the mountain, and wish I had a little more time at the top. The last 50 feet or so was pretty challenging for me. I have a 'healthy' fear of heights, and it took a lot of nerve for me to actually get up on the mountain. The view is something else though. After you summit, the remainder of the hike is almost all down hill. The short leg of the Colima trail has a bit of climb, but it's not bad. I did this hike in Early October, and there was quite a bit of cloud cover. I still went through almost 5L of water. Bring lots of water. I was able to complete the loop in a little under 6 hours, but I was really pushing it on the way up.

Tue Feb 20 2018

OK let me say first off, I have never backpacked before so this was pretty tough for me and my buddy with me. We got started at about 11, and got to Colima campsite at about 6. Going up Pinnacles with a 25lb pack was brutal, I wouldn't have tried Emory Peak had there not been a bear box to store my pack. Laguna Meadows Trail going down was pretty easy. All trails are easy to follow and all campsites and splits have signs. All in all awesome hike, with great views.

Fri Feb 02 2018

Great hike with stunning views for just about the entire route. Rock scrambling required at the end to reach the Emory Peak summit. https://hikingtheworld.blog/2017/10/29/emory-peak-big-bend/

Tue Apr 18 2017

Love this hike! Do it every-time i visit BBNP

Sun May 22 2016

Beautifully maintained trail with great views and lots of birds and wildlife. The climb on the Pinnacles Trail side can be arduous at times, but generally moderate and a very peasant stroll down the mountain on the Laguna Meadows side.

Sat Jul 18 2015

Anything in Big Bend is awesome

Mon May 19 2014

I've made the trip 7 or 8 times over the last 20 years and it is one of my all time favorites. SW #4 campsite is primo. With a quick walk to rim you will find a natural rock bench on the edge of a cliff where you can take in some of the most spectacular views you will ever find.

Tue Feb 19 2013

Found this to be hard, the extra weight of 3 gallons of water was the killer. Several great views along the way to the final view on south rim. Camped at NE2 and enjoyed the sunrise the next morning. Hike down was just as hard, all in all it was worth it.

Mon Sep 05 2011

Tough! But worth it! Beautiful mountains full of crags and other erosional features. Also, an occasional interesting array of volcanic rock. Massive switchbacks! Advice: Use this as your trail down out of the High Chisos or from Emory Peak, not up.

Tue Nov 20 2018