Elm Fork Trail

Elm Fork Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 75 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There are several easy-access gravel parking lots along the course of this trail, on Copper Canyon Drive. One at each end, and at least one in the middle.

bridge out

It was the perfect day to walk the trail. No mud. No bugs. Not hot. Not cold. I read several reviews saying there was litter everywhere. They must have just done a big cleanup. There were piles of litter up by the trailhead trash can so the trail looked really clean for the most part. It is a shame that all the structures and signs have graffiti. I know they make products to remove it. I wish the city would clean it or permit a scout troop or to clean it up. I know eventually it will come back but with diligence I think it would look better than it does now.

great weather to walk. a few horse piles and lots of horseshoe Mark's but otherwise great. Water level crossings g creek good enough to cross but you must be foot steady. would be great if a rope can be strung across to help.

Trail wasn’t bad. A lot of graffiti at the entrance and some trash. Very quiet, pokes along the side of a grazing field for animals at one point. We went a day after some soaking rain and it was very muddy. The creek and stone walkway pictured was flooded over, so we didn’t cross. Probably could have but chose to turn back at that point. Easy and flat.

too much trash and graffiti.

private property

Lots of trash. Big spiderwebs and high brush. The trail keeps going beyond the bridge. Turned around at five miles. It runs along the road so there are warehouses, road, and houses along a good part of the trail. The bridge is cool though and has a history marker.

bridge out

Was a decent trail. Had some nice views, but was more of a ramble through the woods than meandering scenic vista. We went early evening and ran into quite a few trail spiders. (You know, the gigantic ones that weave their webs across the trail so that you’re sure to get a face full of arachnisurprise if you don’t activate your laser vision.) With 3 extra mini-hikers (of the human variety) we started off a bit slow, so we weren’t able to make it all the way to the lakes edge before we had to turn around for fear of darkness. But we did get a view, and that was enough for the tiny humans to feel accomplished that they hiked all the way to the lake. Recommendations: Bug Spray. For realz. Pants if you plan to make it all the way to the lake. It was quite overgrown.

bridge out

It could be muddy if it rained and there is some shade and yes the bridge was still out but it is great how close it is to the house and just going for a nice walk! There is some broken glass here and there so just be careful if you are brining your dog! But we had fun and will come back!

bridge out

Great trail however the bridge was out so we didn’t get to finish our hike. Make sure to wear sunscreen and bug spray

Pretty lame trail, muddy. A nice variety of wild flowers.

bridge out

I know this trail is short and can tend to be muddy, but I love the fact that I can drive to something like this within 5 minutes for a walk with the dog and wife. It’s great to get into some semblance of nature instead of just walking the sidewalks in the neighborhood. There is a bridge that is out preventing you from completing the trail unless the water is low or you feel like taking the log across.

This trail was pretty underwhelming and hard to follow at times. Saw some birds, but mostly a ton of trash throughout the entire trail. There was a few muddy patches, but they were easy to get around. A lot of car and industrial noises present. Overall, it was okay but slightly disappointing.

nice crisp walk.

Sun Dec 16 2018

Great trail except it was very muddy. It had rained a couple days prior so make sure to go when it's dry.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Made it about halfway down (very muddy) trail when it dead ended into water. Trail was okay, nothing particularly interesting other than some short side trails. Bugs weren't terrible, but it was in the low 60s. It wasn't bad, but nothing worth coming back to.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Way too many mosquitoes as a result of recent rains and warm weather made it unpleasant. Even covered with bug spray we didn’t make it far before turning back. Will try again when the temps drop. Saw a group of hikers turn around almost immediately—now I know why the parking lot was empty even though it was a beautiful day.

Thu Sep 13 2018

enjoyed what I was able to do, but it is severely overgrown after about a mile and a half. I switched over to the trail on the other side because there was no way around the dense overgrowth. there is also an excessive amount of trash on this trail. if I was out to hike for beauty, it would have bugged me. but since I was just trying to run through, it wasn't terrible.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Very easy trail. About 85% of it is under shade.

Fri Jul 27 2018

Fantastic trail once you're beyond the Old Alton bridge. Quiet (except for distant traffic noise), fluctuating scenery and terrain, and clean. Terrain gets really hilly and a bit treacherous east of the Village Pkwy bridge, then the trail fades as you go further east. A local resident told me the trail riders stopped maintaining it east of that bridge after the 2015 flood.

Thu May 17 2018

Brought my dog out we both had a lot of fun seems pretty safe considering it was just me and her and didn't have any trouble:) I'd go back!