Elm Fork Trail

Elm Fork Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Brought my dog out we both had a lot of fun seems pretty safe considering it was just me and her and didn't have any trouble:) I'd go back!

Love this trail, easy walk. Be sure and go for a added walk on the small trails that branch off main trail. Every month I walk from start to Sycamore Park, hard to find trails at time but worth the effort.

I find this trail perfect for me as a beginner in the trail running world.

I had a great time on this trail. Absolutely recommend for a casual walk!

Couldn't find out way to the end since it was no longer marked but enjoyed what we did!

Hot but fun

Monday, June 19, 2017

The first mistake that I made was to cross the iron bridge. It seemed that that was the trail, and along the other side of the bridge was a wide, decent trail that paralleled the road for a bit. However, that eventually connect with the Pilot Knoll Trail. The elm Fork Trail is on the same side of the river has the parking lot.

The first thing I spotted was a raccoon in the parking lot as I pulled in. Then, hiking along the first half mile or so, which basically runs through fields or meadows, there was a profusion of wildflowers. It had rained some water in the morning, and as I went on and the trail entered a more forested area, it became somewhat muddy. Not bad enough to stop me from going forward, but enough to come up the soles of my shoes.

That was why, after about a mile, I turned back when I arrived at the stream crossing. It looked like it was once a beautiful crossing, but obviously it had washed out at some point in time. Although it could still be crossed, the banks looked muddy and slippery and I was not in the mood for sliding in the mud.

Besides the raccoon, at one point a deer crossed the trail in front of me. I also spotted a number of cardinals, wishing that they would be still enough to allow me to get a photo.

One of the things I should have brought with me was bug spray. There was no breeze today, and stopping to take pictures, especially in the forested area, was setting myself up to be a blood banquet. However, all in all, this was a relatively enjoyable hike.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Best trail that I've been on in the metroplex

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Very dog friendly, better then average for kids (mine is 2), some difficult areas for my stroller with large tree roots, but was able to navigate due to my off-road tires. Lots of shade, beautiful trail.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fairly clean, although the water left a lot to be desire.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

It was beautiful following the creek.
Trails were in good shape.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Fun for what it is. Great to kill a couple hours!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Overall: Trail was flat and uneventful. First 1/2 mile was relatively open and then became more wooded with a canopy offering decent shade. Two creek crossings but easy to stay dry. Only crossed 3 other hikers during the 2 mile out and back.

Bad: Lots of graffiti and trash, especially at the trailhead. The trail continues beyond the bridge but the amount of garbage was not worth continuing so we turned back.

The trail was not difficult and easy to navigate.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Heidi and I hiked this. I have a inReach satellite system and from the horse lot on Old Alton Road to the underpass of highway 2450 (Village Pkwy) I showed 2.5 miles one way. Beautiful and close trail, I sprint up the hills to add cardio. Were walking this again today, I will update or add if I get a different mileage.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Wow, what an adventure! Filled with diverse terrains and people, we had a great time. We did end up getting lost and had to turn around and follow our original path back, I'm still not sure where we went wrong because nothing is labeled. It was definitely fun but tough because a lot of the path is filled with sand which is tough on my knees and ankles because of my arthritis. Not recommended for the elderly or small children unless you turn around pretty quick. We saw a lot of horses on the path and every person we ran into as friendly and would stop to say hello to us and our min pin.

One thing I want to add is there's quite a bit of trash (beer cans and red solo cups and graffiti) that made me uneasy.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

It's fairly straightforward to make this a loop trail if you don't mind walking across the arm of Lake Lewisville on the 2499 bridge (nice wide sidewalk). I started from Old Alton bridge and reached 2499 in about 45 minutes. The trail is fairly wide and was dried out following recent rains. There is a stream crossing about half way that is in bad shape. Repairing it would make a great Eagle Scout project :-).

After scrambling up the bridge embankment I walked south across Lake Lewisville on 2499 and went through the tunnel at the south end to connect to the Hickory Creek / Pilot Knoll trail back to Old Alton. It was a nice 90 minutes, approx 3 mile loop early on a Saturday morning.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Muddy and flooded in some areas. Nice trail though.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

not bad. About 30% shade. Trail seems to get flooded quite a bit and takes we eks to totally dry out.

Monday, March 28, 2016

My roommate and I love this trail and we just started hiking. In all it was pretty dry, with some muddy spots but there were small pathways leading around the extremely muddy spots. We saw simple wildlife like birds and squirrels, the real fun is seeing the beautiful pastures lining the sides of the woods, we met some owned horses and they were as sweet and as beautiful as can imagine. We walked the trail for about 3 hours and ended up on the complete other side of argyle when it was time to find the car again. Will do again soon.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

I started near Old Alton Bridge, the beginning of the trail was nice then it slowly turned into a muddy slip and slide. Another couple that was walking behind me carried on but I opted out. It looks like it could be promising when not wet. I will try again.

Friday, January 08, 2016

Only got to do the first mile or so of the trail before it went completely underwater. Looks promising given the location. We'll be back when thing dry out a little.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A nice hike, a good get-away. I agree with others in that it needs some TLC, I noticed trash and graffiti around the entrance and on the bridge. The trail is very close to roads and private properties. At the time, the water was still high, restricting access to the full trail. I will go again when it dries up a bit.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

On 10/3/2015 I ran from Old Alton Bridge parking lot a little more than 5 miles east on this trail. This was my first time crossing under the bridge on FM 2499 since the lake had receded after the 2015 summer flooding. The whole area really needs some work, as one section behind a neighborhood was littered with trash from the flooding (plastic bottles, cans, other misc garbage.)

As I worked farther east and the trail came closer to the more affluent neighborhoods on the north side of the lake, the trail narrowed but seemed to be somewhat taken care of, although some sections were washed out/hard to find. One low-lying inlet was covered with driftwood, both large and small, and very hard to navigate - the trail was completely under a layer of debris.

Closer to Sycamore Bend park the trail was easy to follow due to some handmade signs placed by someone. Had they not been there I wouldn't have had any clue as to where I was going because the area was overgrown and washed out.

It seems there isn't a lot of traffic on this trail lately due to the recent housing developments, which is disappointing. It's a fun trail although it takes you into some backyards.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nice getaway, we parked on Old Alton road and headed north. Walked 2 miles then looped back and south of the parking lot. This area just opened again from the flooding. Too much road noise on this part. The southern part is quieter. Nice leisurely Sunday morning walk.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pretty good trail. Only was able to do 2 1/4 miles of it because a recent storm had washed everything out. Could use some TLC, as well; Graffiti was all over the place. But a good, scenic route non the less.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Great trail for being in such a high populated area. Will be coming back again soon. I found it to be the 12 mile given all the side trails it has in some parts. Went around 2:30pm and didn't see but a few horses on a farm.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Great trail! Very nice for a walk or run, however the app says it's 10.6 miles out and back. I used a gps app and got 2.6 miles one way. So the total out and back is 5.2 miles. There are several spots of crossing small creeks so beware of muddy areas by those. Also this trail runs next to a highway so some spots can get very noisy. I had a great time on this trail today! Would definitely recommend this trail!

Monday, January 27, 2014

An all right trail. Parking at the Old Alton Bridge trailhead was completely full (there's not much to begin with), so we parked at the equestrian parking a little further down the road at the Pilot Knoll trailhead. Looped back along the trail to the Old Alton Bridge—hugged the road, but the creek on the other side provided some nice scenery.

Once we made it past the bridge, the trail became so-so. Lots of trash, bit of a sewage smell. Tons of old tires strewn everywhere: in the water, by the farm, in the brush.

The bit we walked was very flat, so it's pretty easy walking. It was dry when we went, but I could definitely see it being incredibly muddy like other reviewers have posted.

There are better trails, though it's pretty lovely where it rides alongside the water.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Beautiful run, although quite muddy in places.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Excellent walking trail! Lots of character, with creeks, lake, old trees, and bridges !! Beautiful cant wait to come back!