Elm Fork Trail

Elm Fork Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Denton, Texas and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 hour ago

Fairly clean, although the water left a lot to be desire.

It was beautiful following the creek.
Trails were in good shape.

Fun for what it is. Great to kill a couple hours!

Overall: Trail was flat and uneventful. First 1/2 mile was relatively open and then became more wooded with a canopy offering decent shade. Two creek crossings but easy to stay dry. Only crossed 3 other hikers during the 2 mile out and back.

Bad: Lots of graffiti and trash, especially at the trailhead. The trail continues beyond the bridge but the amount of garbage was not worth continuing so we turned back.

The trail was not difficult and easy to navigate.

Heidi and I hiked this. I have a inReach satellite system and from the horse lot on Old Alton Road to the underpass of highway 2450 (Village Pkwy) I showed 2.5 miles one way. Beautiful and close trail, I sprint up the hills to add cardio. Were walking this again today, I will update or add if I get a different mileage.

Wow, what an adventure! Filled with diverse terrains and people, we had a great time. We did end up getting lost and had to turn around and follow our original path back, I'm still not sure where we went wrong because nothing is labeled. It was definitely fun but tough because a lot of the path is filled with sand which is tough on my knees and ankles because of my arthritis. Not recommended for the elderly or small children unless you turn around pretty quick. We saw a lot of horses on the path and every person we ran into as friendly and would stop to say hello to us and our min pin.

One thing I want to add is there's quite a bit of trash (beer cans and red solo cups and graffiti) that made me uneasy.

It's fairly straightforward to make this a loop trail if you don't mind walking across the arm of Lake Lewisville on the 2499 bridge (nice wide sidewalk). I started from Old Alton bridge and reached 2499 in about 45 minutes. The trail is fairly wide and was dried out following recent rains. There is a stream crossing about half way that is in bad shape. Repairing it would make a great Eagle Scout project :-).

After scrambling up the bridge embankment I walked south across Lake Lewisville on 2499 and went through the tunnel at the south end to connect to the Hickory Creek / Pilot Knoll trail back to Old Alton. It was a nice 90 minutes, approx 3 mile loop early on a Saturday morning.