Elm Fork Trail

Elm Fork Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Denton, Texas and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Couldn't find out way to the end since it was no longer marked but enjoyed what we did!

Hot but fun

The first mistake that I made was to cross the iron bridge. It seemed that that was the trail, and along the other side of the bridge was a wide, decent trail that paralleled the road for a bit. However, that eventually connect with the Pilot Knoll Trail. The elm Fork Trail is on the same side of the river has the parking lot.

The first thing I spotted was a raccoon in the parking lot as I pulled in. Then, hiking along the first half mile or so, which basically runs through fields or meadows, there was a profusion of wildflowers. It had rained some water in the morning, and as I went on and the trail entered a more forested area, it became somewhat muddy. Not bad enough to stop me from going forward, but enough to come up the soles of my shoes.

That was why, after about a mile, I turned back when I arrived at the stream crossing. It looked like it was once a beautiful crossing, but obviously it had washed out at some point in time. Although it could still be crossed, the banks looked muddy and slippery and I was not in the mood for sliding in the mud.

Besides the raccoon, at one point a deer crossed the trail in front of me. I also spotted a number of cardinals, wishing that they would be still enough to allow me to get a photo.

One of the things I should have brought with me was bug spray. There was no breeze today, and stopping to take pictures, especially in the forested area, was setting myself up to be a blood banquet. However, all in all, this was a relatively enjoyable hike.