El Paso Tin Mines Trail

El Paso Tin Mines Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike to the only tin mines ever in the USA. From the trailhead, climb to the top of the concrete dam. Turn south (left) on the dam and follow the trail right to the bottom of the dam. Turn north and follow the trail 0.15 miles north until you see a gate directly to your left. Turn west (left), proceed past the gate, pick up the jeep road curving north-west, and follow this road all the way to the junction at 2.75 miles. From the junction, turn south (left) for the south mne and smelter. (Follow the narrow trail west past the mine for the entrance.) Proceed straight ahead and curve north to the north mine. (Follow stairs down below the mine for the lower entrance.) Bring a flashlight.

good hike last little bit is tough but it was worth it. I will be back with a flashlight to negotiate the actual mines

great hike. but alil to long for my kids. but we still made it.

the hike is quite boring, but the mine at the end is worth the trip

Took my dogs on the trail. They loved it. No shade so they did get quite a bit thirsty. 10/10 would walk my dogs again.

really fun trail to take the kids on.

Good trail to walk your pups and get some energy out

Very easy trail. Gradual incline throughout trail but nothing crazy. So neat to see the mines. Definitely a repeat trip.

Great hike. Not too hard, just longer than I’m used to. Look for the giant metal grate. That’s one of them, with the other one south of it. You could get by with your phone light, but I would recommend bringing a decent flashlight.

Easy hike and easy to get off trail. Ended up being close to 8 miles, due to wandering off the course.

Nice trail steady incline, easy to get off track. We took a different route back and missed the entrance initially. The giant grate looking thing is the entrance and if you walk down the wooden steps you will see the other entrance. Bring a good flashlight or you won't make it far.

Great walk. Bring a flash light and the mine is low. You might need to scramble in a few spots

Fav trail so far

Take a flash light for the mine.
Easy hike, last 1/4 mile is steep-intermediate.

This trail was a great scenic climb! Not much hiking until you get closer to the mine. The mine was amazing, tons of little openings to go through . Picture worthy! Although its super dark and our phone’s flashlight wasn’t the best! But the trail was easy to find and so was the mine!

Just follow the trail, no instructions needed. It's long but worth it. Pics can't do justice!

Nice easy walk. The elevation climb is very gradual. Take a hat as there is zero shade on this trail in the morning and early afternoon

Easy and beatifull scenery of the mountains and the mines just amazing to go in and explore. Loved it !!!

Always enjoy doing this hike! Hike to first tin mine took about 2 hours, the hike back to the park from that point took 1 hour. The trails are pretty simple to follow, did it without this App and still was able to find the mine!

hiked it under a cloudy day

great hike. kid and pup friendly and seeing deer not uncommon!

My daughter and I followed the trail exactly and even used the “record” function of the app to track our GPS progress. We found metal grates as described, but never found the actual mines. It was disappointing to say the least. The trail is decent but the only real reason we did it was to see the mines. All in all, make sure you bring lots of water as there is no shade cover here and very few places to sit and rest. We won’t be back but at least we scratched another hike off our list. The scenery is nice but flat land mostly. The few views are not anything better than any other Franklin Mountain trail (and maybe even inferior than most). The trail is easy and no technical skills really needed other than being able to walk on a road. It is a very long trail, bring snacks along with the water (more than you think you need).

I can see why one reviewer hiked 15 miles without finding the mines. The trails are easily washed away and in areas are overgrown by vegetation. There were times that GPS was the only real way to tell if we were following the path. Be careful if not using GPS. Luckily cell signal is strong in the area, but being a charging pack or two as even the best phone will be long dead by the time you get there.

Pretty easy hike not much hiking until you get to the actual mine.

Awesome trail! There’s an easy trail to the right that takes you straight to the Tin mines and there’s the medium trail to the left that takes you to the Tin mines as well. We took that one to the left and my 8 year old was able to hang with my 18 year old and I. If your taking little ones that are younger than 8 I recommend the easy trail where there’s no hills and just a straight shot to the mines.

I loved the scenery it had to offer totally worth going back again!!!

Nice out and back trail run.

Great for biking, hiking etc

Decent trail for El Paso, wide and easily followed. Lots of loose rock along majority of trail. Not difficult. Several other trails branch off it. I give 3.5 of 5 rating.

A must do hike bring a flash light

absolutely love this trail. dog friendly. beautiful terrain and not too difficult. a little rocky but nothing to be concerned about, just wear good tennis shoes. I go every weekend, recommend this trail to everyone and animal lovers.

hiked to the mines, the trail is a little rocky in spots but still a nice hike. remember sun screen!