El Paso Tin Mines Trail

El Paso Tin Mines Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike to the only tin mines ever in the USA. From the trailhead, climb to the top of the concrete dam. Turn south (left) on the dam and follow the trail right to the bottom of the dam. Turn north and follow the trail 0.15 miles north until you see a gate directly to your left. Turn west (left), proceed past the gate, pick up the jeep road curving north-west, and follow this road all the way to the junction at 2.75 miles. From the junction, turn south (left) for the south mne and smelter. (Follow the narrow trail west past the mine for the entrance.) Proceed straight ahead and curve north to the north mine. (Follow stairs down below the mine for the lower entrance.) Bring a flashlight.

My daughter and I followed the trail exactly and even used the “record” function of the app to track our GPS progress. We found metal grates as described, but never found the actual mines. It was disappointing to say the least. The trail is decent but the only real reason we did it was to see the mines. All in all, make sure you bring lots of water as there is no shade cover here and very few places to sit and rest. We won’t be back but at least we scratched another hike off our list. The scenery is nice but flat land mostly. The few views are not anything better than any other Franklin Mountain trail (and maybe even inferior than most). The trail is easy and no technical skills really needed other than being able to walk on a road. It is a very long trail, bring snacks along with the water (more than you think you need).

I can see why one reviewer hiked 15 miles without finding the mines. The trails are easily washed away and in areas are overgrown by vegetation. There were times that GPS was the only real way to tell if we were following the path. Be careful if not using GPS. Luckily cell signal is strong in the area, but being a charging pack or two as even the best phone will be long dead by the time you get there.

Pretty easy hike not much hiking until you get to the actual mine.

Awesome trail! There’s an easy trail to the right that takes you straight to the Tin mines and there’s the medium trail to the left that takes you to the Tin mines as well. We took that one to the left and my 8 year old was able to hang with my 18 year old and I. If your taking little ones that are younger than 8 I recommend the easy trail where there’s no hills and just a straight shot to the mines.

I loved the scenery it had to offer totally worth going back again!!!

Nice out and back trail run.

Great for biking, hiking etc

Decent trail for El Paso, wide and easily followed. Lots of loose rock along majority of trail. Not difficult. Several other trails branch off it. I give 3.5 of 5 rating.