Duck Pond Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar Hill, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

We had a great time. Perfect length for young children. Our three year old little girl loved it!

bridge out

I hiked to the duck pond and around the back side, then up to the lookout and then all the way back to the parking lot. Hiking trail is well maintained and even though the bridge is out to the duck pond the detour around the duck pond is quite pleasant. Beautiful day!

I always love this trail! Main path by pond is closed, so it detours around the far side and I actually like it better this way!

bridge out

It was definitely a soothing experience. Although there are no awe inspiring landscapes, it’s a calm meditative experience because there was not a lot of foot traffic when we went even if it was on a weekend midday.

a great little trail for novice hikers and families with small children

Brought my dog on this hike on a warm June day. It was very hot in the non shaded part and the flowers were so tall I couldn’t see if I was on the trail for a lot of the time. For being in the middle of Texas, this is a great hike! The views are really pretty.

This is a nice little hike, good for families with small children and those bringing leashed pets. I haven't seen ducks at the Duck Pond, but the occasional Great Blue Heron shows up, which makes me smile. perfect weather at about 60 degrees this April morning!

Sun Mar 17 2019

Super easy, nice trail. Not overcrowded.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Decent trail that ends at a lookout point. Good for my 12 year old and I.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Very easy hiking trail, definitely kid friendly and not bad for mountain biking if you are so inclined. This trail branches out to some other small trails as well that contain some very pretty lookout areas, and of course ducks are super cute so that's a big plus.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Great warm up trail. Take the Plum Trail off of this trail to extend the hike and check out the scenic overlook.

Mon Oct 23 2017

Trees were blocking half of the trail so I couldn't finish it but it was very easy hike.

Fri Sep 22 2017

Parts of trail were closed. Not much water in the pond today.

Sun Apr 23 2017

not bad, just very short.

Wed Sep 07 2016

Lots of up and down walking. Will feel the burn.

Wed May 27 2015

This is great if you have small kids. They have concrete markers with animal tracks that are great for getting little ones into the outdoors. I had my children make crayon rubbings in their outdoor notebooks and they loved it. Simple, short, fun.

Wed Mar 04 2015

A short trail, great for beginners/children. This trail leads to a primitive camping site, which could be great for hammock campers. Along the trail, they had plaques with animals paws to differentiate the animals and their foot print (though I did not see many birds or animals on this trail). We spent maybe 25-30 minutes along this trail (we were taking a leisurely time observing our surroundings). This trail is overgrown, but easy to walk through.

Wed May 21 2014

Small trail and good if you have small kids. Generally closed if it rains and also you can find some scorpions, just look out.

Mon Feb 04 2013

Decent primitive camping close to home. Busy on weekends. Nothing spectacular, but convenient.

Mon Jul 30 2012

The trail is poorly marked and overgrown. It's a very short trail if you're not into hiking. There's a restroom near the top of the loop.