Dorba Trail Loop

Dorba Trail Loop is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cedar Hill, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Loop

scenic driving

Note: As of June 2019, trails in Cedar Hill State Park are closed due to flooding. Parking Fee: $7

Quite a few bikers to watch out for, but they’re all very polite. Trail was great; it’s well-maintained and mostly shaded. I would definitely do it again. Going 8 miles kicked our butts!

good for beginner

very good trail for beginners

Great trail with plenty of turns and slight inclines/declines. Watch out for the roots in the ground. This area has frequent bouts of shade and sun. It does require a $7 per person entry fee.

l would rate this trail as on the high end of easy to low end of moderate as compared to other trails in the moderate rating.the reason for this is it has to many twitch backs that eliminate any aggressive upward climbing not once was I ever winded .

Nice trail. This is my first time here. I typically go with the grain on my first attempt on a new trail since the signage is easier to see that way. However this trail has great markings for hikers going against the grain. The trail is a good mixture of open, forest, twists and turns and ups and down. It is also well maintained. The only downside is the $7 park entrance fee. Also note that the trail route is extremely different in two spots compared to the trail map.

First, thanks to DORBA and Texas Parks Dept. DFW has had tons of rain since last fall. Expected trail to be overgrown but vegetation was trimmed back. Thanks! Of course all the rain, not just this year but the last few years, has resulted in roots, roots, and more roots on the trails. Definitely tougher going up grade and hitting those. But who wants it easy. Fun from beginning to end.

As of July 12, the trails are reopened. I called before I left, because the app still reports them closed. There are 3 Dorba paths. The green (3mile loop), the blue (8 miles)and the red (12 miles). The green Dorba path is narrow and shared with mountain bikers. Many of them Don’t give you warning when they are flying through....other than that, and some Trash on the trail...the 3 mile loop was great. End with the lake to get a great breeze towards the end of your hike.

Pretty trail. Needs some trash clean up and it would be perfect.

Trail was in good shape today.

Family hiked the entire DORBA trail - it is an awesome trail . very well maintained, well marked. I noticed al cyclists were vey considerate of hikers and vice- versa. Great easy/moderate trail. Can’t wait to mountain bike this trail. I RECOMMEND THIS TRAIL.!

closed

The area looks beautiful and I drove over an hour to hike this trail. Unfortunately, the trail was closed and the park failed to indicate that the trail was closed on the website. It was clear that many other hikers and bikers were unaware of the closure. I hope to go back to this trail in the future when it’s clearly indicated as open.

Great trail just really wore down due to the bikes but if that doesn't bother you then go for it

Definitely meant for biking, but it was the only trail open on my visit. A beautiful section of the lake visible right at the beginning, so that was really nice. I like that you can add on miles, picking the shirt, medium, or long trail.

A little beat up by mountain bikes but a nice trail nonetheless good 7.3 mi hike opposite the mountain bike flow.

Sat Nov 10 2018

We tried to go hiking but all of the trails were flooded. It didn't say anything about it on the park website. so if you're driving any sort of distance, I would suggest to call the park if it has been raining a lot. Other wise, the fall colors on that area are gorgeous.

Wed Sep 26 2018

Cost: $7 per person. Need I say more? Other states don't charge money to walk around in nature.

Sat Jul 28 2018

my fiance and I come every single Sunday! he bikes while i hike and it's just beautiful.

Fri Jul 06 2018

breathtaking,everyone we meat on our hike was amazely nice. The sites we saw were so beautiful and relaxingthat, that before we new it we had walked 11mails.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Not bad for the ride. A lot of inclines and turns. Give it a try. I went on the 3 mile course twice, next time I’ll try the 8 mile

Sat May 19 2018

Hiked this one early may which was great so it wasn't too hot! I did the 3 mile loop, took about 1.5hr return. Mostly a biking path so keep your eye out for bikers coming around corners. Also watch for snakes on the trail!

Sat May 19 2018

I rode the 8 mile trail. As a moderately experienced rider it was a good challenge that is not dangerous. Two climbs that will burn the legs a little bit but overall a good ride with just enough challenges.

Wed Apr 18 2018

I hiked the blue loop (7.2 miles) and the red loop (12 miles) this week. There are large sections of the trail that are thick with bluebonnets right now. I also saw a bobcat and a large rattlesnake.

Wed Apr 11 2018

I hiked the 8 mile trail. It is a beautiful trail. Lots of bike traffic today. That slowed me down a bit. Other than that it's a great workout and the perfect time of year because of all of the flowers that are blooming.

Tue Mar 13 2018

such an awesome trail! hiked the 8 miles today with a friend and we had a great time. dirt trail mostly trees about half shaded and a little lake views.

Fri Dec 08 2017

very beautiful. many

Wed Dec 06 2017

Very good,

Wed Oct 18 2017

it's a good trail to hike but watch for cyclists coming the opposite direction. I try to jog the trail but can't do that all the way with the cyclists. They are courteous but will break your pace. The scenery is nice, shade for most of the way. I usually do the 8 mile trail. I usually hike here once per month.