Dinosaur Valley State Park Hiking Trails

Dinosaur Valley State Park Hiking Trails is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glen Rose, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Glen Rose, TX: Travel 4 miles west. Take US Highway 67 to FM 205 for 4 miles to Park Road 59; then go one mile to the headquarters. There is an honor box located at headquarters for collecting fees after office hours.

Clean trail lots of different trails to chose from. The longest is 7.5 miles. Not to challenging but a good walk. I grew up in west Texas and the terrain is much like home. I liked the walk in primitive camping areas. Very private getaway.

Loved this hike. We went in November very beautiful!

Fun for kids, most of the tracks are in the water though so plan to go when it's warmer. Water is surprisingly clean/clear, suitable for kids to play in without fear that they will grow a third arm or something.

Beautiful area. The trail is a bit more than the stated 7.1 miles, my watch recorded 7.6. As others mentioned, there is a stream to cross so plan for that. Not sure why others say the trails are not clearly marked, I thought they were well marked with plenty of signs and arrows.

Good hike. Wish tge trails where better identified.

Great hike at the rivers edge

Took our water-loving GSD for a hike here. Lots of opportunity to wade in the river, which was a great way to cool off. Bring towels and shoes that will handle slippery rocks. Wish that the trail maps were a little more straightforward. The dino tracks are super cool and easy to find and see. Because the park is so family-friendly, it does tend to get pretty crowded.

Great place to take your family!

Super Cool! Actual dino prints. Wicked awesome views on some of the trails.

The review is specifically for the trail to The Lookout. It is difficult, a short trail but quite a change in elevation. Parking is the next entrance/ lot just past the picnic/restrooms section, it is the main Dinosaur Tracks area #2 I think. It starts across the river. You will get wet, try about 20ft downstream barefoot if the big rocks are too slick for you.

Love the view. There are some awesome trails that will have really beautiful overlooks and nice to take a break and enjoy the view and sound of the Paluxy River.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

My family loved crossing the river! This has been one of the best hikes in Texas for us. The line to get in the park went quickly and the trails were all clearly marked.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

We enjoyed it. The worst part is starting out with wet feet but they can't do a lot about that without building a bridge which would probably cause a whole host of problems. Bring a small towel and plan on going across barefoot.

The hike was fairly challenging for TX and provided plenty of pretty views. There are a few different options which was great. The first day we felt great and went on a little longer than we expected to and the second day we got tired and were able to cut it short.

We went during spring break and camped. Call and reserve a camping spot early during this week. It was busy busy! Monday wasn't too bad. We ran into maybe 5 other groups out on the back trails.

We started out really early Tuesday and didn't start seeing people until we got closer to the waterfall and overlook on our way back in. There were people all over the main cross over site and a line of cars coming in as we left at noon.

We definitely plan to come back and try camping at one of the spots out on the trails. They were all pretty and secluded.

Monday, February 06, 2017

This place has a great selection of hiking and primitive camping sites along with multiple scenic areas. I'm not an expert in hiking/camping, but I tend to look for more aggressive areas to explore and this place kept me entertained. I plan on camping in the primitively areas in the upcoming weeks.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Decent trail fast hike, run, or bike ride. Didn't really see any interesting sights to slow down for. You will have to cross the Paluxy river twice. And if you go by the colored trail park map be careful in the south west area. They improperly painted the 'Cedar Brake Outer Loop' (dark red) the color used for 'Black-capped Vireo' trail color (dark green)

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Lots of different trails to choose from. You do have to cross the river at the beginning but it's not that bad. Great scenery and a good hike.

Friday, August 19, 2016

The Paluxy River runs through the middle of the park which makes the season you go a big factor. All roads and primitive campsites are on the western side of the river with a few trails. Most of the good trails are on the eastern side of the river making crossing it a requirement at least twice. We enjoy crossing at the southern junction and then hiking the Paluxy River Trail up river. This allows us to wade/swim the river back down to the original crossing point when we are done with the PRT. Great trail for water dogs!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Well maintained and marked trails. Great wading/swimming in the Paluxy River as most trails are on the opposite side as access and parking.

There are several dinosaur tracks visible in the river bed. Bring your swimsuits and water bottles.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Took my 6yr old and he loved it! Bring your swimsuit and take a dip after a long hike!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

spent the day with my family here everyone enjoyed every aspect of the trail

Monday, March 28, 2016

Not bad for a short day hike and close to home. If you live in DFW it is worth the short trip there.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Really enjoyed this trail! Great overlook and had fun playing in the river. Will definitely go again!

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Great place to camp!

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Most of the 8 or 9 trails here are moderate and most are mountain bike friendly. The South Eastern trails aren't well covered and get hot during the afternoon.

Trails are exceptional for trail running.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Beautiful scenery. Dinosaur tracks are visible when the river is low.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Beautiful hike, with varying challenges including crossing a creek on partially exposed rocks, steep climbs at some points, and dinosaur tracks along the way. The cool thing about this site is that it can as challenging as you want it to be. I took my 4 year old with me (her first hike with daddy) and she was unstoppable! A tourist destination so expect people, and great place to have a picnic.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Beautiful November hike! Live in Dallas and enjoyed heading out of the city and to Glen Rose. The trip to Glen Rose was about 1.5+ hours each way. Hiked the Cedar Brake Outer Loop. Nice workout with the elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Wear your hiking boots or a shoe with good traction--the limestone and rocks on the dirt trail (or exploring the track sites) creates shifting/slick surfaces. Nice overlooks and lots of interesting cactus with red fruit. The track sites are congested with kids but we only met a couple other people on the hike and it was nice and quiet. Very peaceful. Outer loop is about 8 miles plus, depending on where you park your car, you will need to take some other trails to get back to where you started. Admission is $7/person. Stop at the gift shop for a dinosaur t-shirt!

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Wonderful trails! Hiked the cedar brake outer loop (~7.5mi.) then connected to two of the shorter inner trails to finish up and get some good views of sauropod and theropod tracks. Decent elevation changes provide a good workout, but I suggest taking your time to soak in the scenery and rummage around for fossils and tracks.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Outstanding!!! Between the history of the Dino tracks, the awesome scenery, and the great trails, I would put this in my top THREE favorite Mountain Bike destinations! Copper Harbor, MI is my favorite, that being said this place is awesome! I took the outer (dorba) loop about 7-8 miles and then did three of the inner loops for a total of about 15 miles. It hit triple digits that day and I went through 120 oz. of water! Be prepared for your trip. Highly recommend this place!!!!!

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Love this place. Great trail, and great scenic views. Worth going back.