Devil's Hall Trail

Devil's Hall Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Carlsbad, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and camping and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

Most beautiful place yet. did this hike along with Smith Spring last year and cant wait to return.

I really enjoyed this trail. It had a number of interesting views, before you get to the spectacular Devils Hall. Note: many of the rocks along the trail, particularly in the wash, are rather new rocks that afford you good traction. But be very careful getting overly confident with your foot placement, because a large number of the rocks have been there a long time and are as smooth as polished rock. This is especially true when you get to the ledge section of the river bed, before getting to the Devils Hall. There are lots of good hand holds and footholds at that section, but the rock surface has been worn smooth from all the times water has rushed down through it.

The views along the way are good. I went around sunset and it was really nice to see the sun setting along the mountains. The last half of the trail is very Rocky and unfriendly though and easy to get lost so keep your hiking boots ready.

This trail is an amazing contrast to the trek up the mountain. I went in November and the colors were outstanding.

View was breathtaking ❤️

Excellent hike. Outstanding scenery and would rate as moderate.

It’s a pretty and pretty easy hike. The second half is follow the wash and make your own path. Just before the Hall there is a amphitheater like formation. Keep going just a bit longer.

Hard for old fat people like me but I did it. Very pretty climax

Awesome view, could stay all day.

A favorite for locales we make it a loop. Go into the arroyo at the start. Follow unit devil hall return by the designated trail

Devils Hall is totally unique and I highly recommend getting there if you have the time, but I don't feel this hike would capture the essence of Guadalupe Mountains National Park if you only have one day. The trail through the wash is fun and requires a little more than just a stroll through the desert. Did this after Guadalupe Peak and enjoyed it

This is a fun out and back trail that leaves from the main trailhead at Pine Springs Campground. Half the trail is through a boulder-strewn wash where you pick your own path. The goal is a narrow canyon with outstanding and unusual rock formations. You access the canyon by climbing a beautiful natural staircase. This trail is a great half day adventure at a little over 4 miles roundtrip. Not much elevation change. Very little shade. Rough and shifting footing in the wash.

Easy hike with a very beautiful end! Easy for kids and carriers! The whole way has rocked stacked. Double check the signs when you start! You should be following the cannon the whole way!

Make sure to look for the rock cairns when hiking through the wash, as there is no marked trail.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

This is probably one of favorite hikes I've done. Short trail and very easy. I loved the rock scrambling through the wash. The views are amazing. I definitely recommend it for everyone.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

while the part we hiked was beautiful and fun, after about a mile, we found ourselves off the trail somehow. we had three kiddos with us, and once we found our way back, they were mostly over it, so we turned around to head back. we ran into two other groups who had also wandered off the trail. it would be great to have some be better trail markers for first time hikers. i'm bummed that we didn't make it, bc our little folks were making great progress up until we found ourselves in the wilderness. :). but still beautiful.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

This is one of my favorite trails, beautiful views of the mountains and the canyon, easy to walk even in the rocky arroyo. Me and my granddaughter Natalia enjoyed a lot.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

great for a short day hike.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Excellent trail with a bit of technical difficulty

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Really enjoyed this trail. Easy enough that I did it in the afternoon after I finished the Guadalupe Peak trail in the morning.
The first mile is an easy walk along the wash and the second mile is a fun hike/scramble through the wash over limestone boulders and through cobble.
The geology at Devil's Hall is really cool and well worth the trip.

Monday, February 20, 2017

2nd time on this trail, was a fun laid back short adventure after climbing the peak the day before. Love the boulders in the riverbed, sort of a "choose your own adventure" scenario.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Really beautiful canyon hike! More moderate in some spots and easy in others. Shoes with grip are a good idea! My friend who doesn't hike was able to do with only a few small breaks! I was just visiting the area but I hope to do this one again someday! Absolutely beautiful park!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Beautiful changes of colors in the fall.

Friday, January 27, 2017

Little harder than expected ... but great view

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

This is a decent little hike if you only have a few hours to spend. The hike up the wash is pretty fun. You are in low areas pretty much the whole time so the views are not terribly expansive. Still nice though. The rock formations once you get to the devils hall are great. Some wildlife around if you are quiet. Had a huge mule deer walk within feet of us. It was incredible. Overall a decent enough hike. Certainly not my favorite but would do again.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

First half is in the foothills. Second half is up a wash. Fun little hike. Lots of hikers. Seemed to be the hike to do if don't have a lot of time.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

This is my favorite trail in Texas. The changing colors in November is amazing. This trail has everything for the hiker, small climbs, single track trails, and wash outs. This is a must for any hiker. Hint: you are not there until you see the blue Devils Hall sign.

Monday, September 12, 2016