Devil's Den Trail

Devil's Den Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

We just finished hiking Devil's Den & Dog Canyon totaling about a 9.5 mile hike. It was spectacular and more then we expected. The Dog Canyon hike was easy, so we did that first then we followed the arroyo in the opposite direction and hiked pretty much half way into Devil's Den canyon climbing boulders and dodging scrub, but eventually decided to followed a backcountry map given to us by the park ranger that indicated we should then climb out of the canyon and hike the rest of the way along a marked path off the south rim of the canyon. Good call because it went a lot faster and we got to the end to see the vast open 360 view of the hills and canyon below. It was well worth it and even the risky technical climb getting out of the canyon itself and onto the trail was a challenge for myself and my companion. Great fun though!

Hiked Devil's Den a couple of times now but have never made it to the end. On both hikes we stopped at the point where you have to climb up through a small opening between boulders. The first time, there was a deep pool of water preventing us from getting to the boulder and the second time, was just by myself and didn't want to risk the climb.
This is a fav hike of mine because of the rock scrambling through the canyon. Before you get to the canyon, the trail has very few cairns after leaving the initial path, but as long as you follow the correct arroyo, you'll find your way.
Highly worth it for a short adventure.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Saturday, November 23, 2013

The hike was fun and the weather was great. It was very remote and the desert is just beautiful. The canyon itself was not quite what I was expecting, as I was told that it was a slot canyon. It is not! We actually declined to hike in the canyon, there was so much vegetation down in it, and we didn't want to get poked and scraped any more than we had to. We hiked along the ridge of the canyon and that was nice.