Dana Peak Park Trail

Dana Peak Park Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harker Heights, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Loop trails. Hiking, mountain biking, horseback, trail running. Loops of various lengths and level of difficulty. Rocky terrain with wooded areas that have soil terrain. There are some very nice trails at the far end of the loop, some pump trail areas make it fast and exciting with some pretty gnarly rocky hill climbs. This area is getting better and better.

My happy place

Husband and I had a great time. Just wore my tennis shoes which were sufficient 99% of the trail, climbing up the hill to the view I wished I had my boots just for some ankle support over the fallen trees and rocks. Fantastic view for central Texas up on the hill. Had a great time. Bring plenty of water.

great view!!!

so many options! easy to navigate and well maintained

Absolutely love this trail, challenging and exciting.

I am out here frequently. There are more options then just this trail to make loop in this park. The map at the parking lot at the right angle curve on Commanche Gap road is incomplete too... The park is very busy on weekends since it is pretty much the only one in the area. We frequently see deer in the park. There are some very pretty views. Be aware that most of the trails are very rocky and the walk from the entrance of the park, around the twin peaks to the turn around spot on the map is NOT shady at all. The fenceline walk back from the lost and found box offers more shade... I just found out that the park closes at 9 pm and according to a friend the parking lot actually gets checked at closing time...

We walked the trail with our tiny dog and absolutely loved it! We were about to go to the water and put our feet in and it has some pretty awesome views!

I in joy running here a lot. I am out there almost every day.

T4 re trt

Great trails. Well marked and slot of great terrain. A lot of fun!!

Watch out for rattle snakes. Wear thick socks.

Many trail options. Scenery okay. Most not too difficult.

Good trail. Lots of elevation change. Shorts and tennis shoes ok. Did not see and poison ivy or oak. Beautiful lake.

I run this trail regularly. If you want a great trail running experience do this trail. There is a "mile of hell". You'll know what I'm talking about when you run it.

-if you don't, it's literally a mile of raw sunlight bestowing it's 110 degree glory on you until you hit some sort of shade.

Good parking, though it could get limited. Don't accidentally drive into the park and pay. You DON"T have to go into the park, no payment is necessary. Easy to find the trail head: the map is pretty visibly right when the road turns.

These trails have it all! Well, almost all. The terrains vary, the vegetation changes, some trails are wide while some or single tracks, and sometimes the trail seems to disappear altogether, and/or give you multiple options. And the space is large and open enough that dead ends/no tresspassing/city roads/etc. where nonexistent (except on the very specific fence-line trail at the edge of the park). The further towards the back of the park you get, the more varied everything becomes. The only thing these trails lack are any creek/stream/river crossings. Huge lake for watercraft, with beach/swimming areas, in the park proper. But no water crossings which can be fun with trails.

I think the "highlight" of the trails, is the "Twin peaks" trail. Goes up onto at least one of the hills (today was my first time running here, so i didn't get to explore everything). You got some hill to climb, full of slippy-sliddy pebbles/stones, then you get scramble up some bigger boulders. once on top, navigate through somewhat dense trails to the edge of the rocks. Then: take in the views.

Near the middle where all the trails converge, there's another map for navigating, and even a firstaid kit and a bike tool kit. I saw one crate, somewhere back in the trails, full of empty water bottles, so that's convenient if you have trash. And the map has waypoints marked on it. The signage is pretty good, especially near the beginning of the trails- but again, get near the back of the trails and it seems to be more sparse. A lot of the trail is unshaded- I don't care personally, but I do know a lot of people like being in the shade. Some of the trails where overgrown, but really it seems they want to keep it wild- so that's no problem what-so-ever. Adds to the fun of trail running. And I saw multiple deer multiple times, a rabbit twice, and some vultures.

All in all, awesome trails next to a really nice park.

Different terrains, many trail options that won't get you lost. Lots of walking that seemed like a field with no tree cover, but fun just the same.

I'm here all the time. Lots of different trails you can hit. Some go down to the lake while others just give you a view.
Only reason I'm not giving it a 5 star is because there is trash all over the more popular trails

It is easy to get lost, but the trails are well maintained. It's a beautiful area with lots of variety. You only have to pay if you park inside the park but there is plenty of parking and access to the trails from the outside. I'll be coming back here often.

Friday, April 21, 2017

This was a nice hike! The view at the top was beautiful and the trail was challenging yet fun. However....the blue trail was a bit confusing not many markers on the hill so we kept wondering if we were still on the right trail. Also there no bathrooms or trash and through out the trail.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I always park at the trailhead (before you actually enter the paying gate) and go straight back, and turn right after the little wooden bridge, and loop back around. There is water access on two sides of the loop so my dog can go swimming. There is only one trash can, and it's at the head of the trail. There is a lot of broken glass and some trash on the loop/lake access part.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Exelent!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

pretty open trail. easy to navigate. Beautiful water view.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Lots of fun! Trails varied and went from easy to challenging. Definitely going to ride my mountain bike there again.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Awesome simple trail.....needs to be marked better for those new to the trail and who don't have a trail map....I did the entire 7 mile loop.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Great and fun!

Sunday, January 29, 2017

My favorite local trail

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Had a great hike with the kiddos! A definite do again to explore more trails. One day I'll be bold enough to bike trek it

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Very convenient, easy access, close to town, yet feeling of being in open space, generally flat with few hills, a lake, an easy trail in my opinion.

Thursday, December 01, 2016