Learn more

Cross Timbers Equestrian Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(62)
Flower Mound, Texas

Cross Timbers Equestrian Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Flower Mound, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: this trail may experience flooding and temporarily close. Please research prior to your visit. An easy trail with gentle slopes and some creek crossings. Bridges and exposed concrete may spook unaccustomed horses. Beginning section of the trail is shared with mountain bikers. This trail traverses the prairies at the lake's northwest corner. From early spring through late summer, wildflowers abound, while during the fall, migrating birds and waterfowl can be seen on the upper end of the lake. Open with some wooded stretches. Occasional thorn trees near trail, so be aware. Flooded conditions may result in bogs and quick sand along lake shore.

flooded. :(

flooded

This trail is completely flooded and the parking lot is closed right now.

Great trail. Some soggy bottom areas due to recent rain but all in all I give it a thumbs up.

flooded

I had no idea such an awesome trail was so close!!!

Not well traveled so its not on good shape.

closed

Lot of blow downs. Overgrown.

Went today with the fam. Last time we came was flooded big time. Trail shows a lot of evidence of flood retreat. Nobody else was on it...at all. Had a great time and a decent hike in, so was a win for sure! Will throw this one into our go to list.

closed
Sun Jun 23 2019

Went in hopes of getting a good hike in and the road was closed down to the trail head..

Sun Apr 21 2019

Sat Mar 23 2019

Fri Mar 22 2019

Thu Mar 21 2019

I loved this trail! I went at sunrise and it was so peaceful and beautiful. Until I ran smack into a wild boar. I asked a man, walking his dog, when I got back to my car, and he said that they are out there a lot as well as bengal cats. Both can become very violent. He told me there had only been a few attacks but it made me very nervous. He also said that the boars sleep during the day and since I was there so early, that might have been why I saw one at all. So I thought, well I’ll come back later in the day. But thEn he said that snakes are “EVERYWHERE” when it’s warm. He said he sees water moccasins and other poisonous snakes “all the time.” Soooo. I’m not sure I’d go back. There are so many other trails without so much wildlife. I understand you’re out in the middle of nowhere and these things happen. But as someone who likes to hike alone, it doesn’t seem worth the risk to get hurt and be out there by myself. Anyway, the trail is gorgeous and I may go back if I was ever with someone.

Sun Nov 04 2018

As of 11/3/18, the trail is still under water.

Sat Aug 04 2018

Started the hike at 9 AM 80° and finished out and back (7 miles) at noon 92° on a Saturday. Very little elevation overall, 40% shaded. Make sure to bring enough water. Saw a total of five bikers, two horses, and two other people the entire trail. Nice hike, very peaceful along the lake shore!

Sun Jun 10 2018

Good

Fri Apr 13 2018

Sun Dec 10 2017

Great trail for hiking. The start of the trail is shared with bikes, but I did not encounter any on my path. There is a lot of ups and downs and some narrow switchbacks. This trail is really quiet and peaceful. There was a family behind me briefly at the start, but I did not see any one else on the way out and only met one biker going in. There is a nice rest area toward the end of the trail with benches, but there is still another 20 min. to the end of the trail. The turnaround is very rocky and ends along the shore of the lake.

Sat Sep 09 2017

We really enjoyed this hike. There was just enough ups and downs to keep it interesting and not super hard. Very peaceful area! There were bikers and other hikers/walkers but definitely not crowded. We'll be back.

Thu Aug 03 2017

Wow! This is a quiet, beautiful place to hike, mountain bike and horseback ride. And it seems that since it is a little hidden and off the beaten path somewhat, not that many people know it exists. The Town of Flower Mound built a paved road to it (though you go from paved to gravel coming off of Dunham Rd before getting to the paved park section) and a decent size parking area loop - with room for horse trailer vehicles to pull in and through when parking. There are many loops there - some for horses & hikers only, others for mountain bikers and hikers only. Just after starting out you have a split trail option to go to the southwest to connect into the east end of the Knob Hills Trail system or to the west/southwest to go down under the neighborhoods off Pocahontas and behind Chimney Rock and eventually all the way along the north shores of Lake Grapevine to the south end of High Road. Moderate terrain that is fairly easy. A few up & down elevation changes starting out but then flatter and easier when getting to the sections along the lake. The mix of woods to open areas on the eastern section we walked on this trip is about 35% woods to 65% open areas. The evening views of the sunset along the water is gorgeous! Will be back to hike & explore more of the trails in the future for sure!!