Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only €14.99
Get Started

Crockett Gardens Falls

Crockett Gardens Falls is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 475 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

I really enjoyed this hike. Plenty of different terrains to be somewhat challenging...at least for me. The last bit to the falls was the most challenging for me. I don’t like to not be able to see around me and having to cross the field of Johnson grass on a path maybe 18” wide and taller than me (I’m 6’ 5” tall), was less than thrilling, but when you get to the falls, it was worth it. I highly recommend you give this a try. I’m not sure what All Trails is getting its distance, but from car door to the falls and back was 5.9 miles on both apps I use.

This trail is a little over 5 miles out and back. The trek is worth it. There are a few elevation changes but nothing too complicated. The path down to the water is overgrown and we were not able to get to the swimming hole. If you continue on the trail, there’s a spot where you have to duck under a tree and then cross a river. It’s manageable but that clearing after the crossing is a magnificent reward. The 5.25 miles out and back can easily be done in 2-3 hours.

As many others have said, it's a very heavily trafficked trail. We got there fairly early, but still had to park by the gate and walk down to the trailhead. Turns out it's because of the trail runners. I don't begrudge them the right use the trail, but when you see guys running three abreast toward you on the trail, forcing you to jump out of their way, it's anything but a fun hike. Crockett Garden almost made the hike worth it. Very peaceful lawn-like setting where you can sit next to a running stream and enjoy the elephant ears and blue irises. Peaceful at least until a couple comes plodding through the stream with their unleashed dog that stops next to you to shake himself dry. I'm a dog person, but nobody likes to have one shake dog-water all over themselves. We made the trip on down to the "swimming hole" near the falls by wading through a shoulder-high sea of Johnson grass. Not particularly difficult, but you always wonder how many snakes see you and head the other way. At the falls area was where the endless parade of drunken boaters came into play. We finally left and bushwhacked up the side of the hill to avoid the dozens of other hikers that had come through the Johnson grass and were gathered by the shoreline. The return was otherwise uneventful save for the three or four brightly colored "poop bags" various dog walkers had left on the ground. Do those people think the forest fairies come and pick those up? You bag it for a reason people. Hike it out or leave your dog at home. Overall a nice, well-maintained trail, but a couple points off for the ill-mannered masses who took advantage of it that morning. I'm sure we'll go back, but it's not going to be until the off-se

Let me be completely honest here. The trail itself isn’t bad- conditions wise. It’s obvious that the money earned from visitors is used for trail maintenance, which is nice. That’s probably the only perk. This is a heavily trafficked trail. It’s situated in a easily accessible public park, which is primarily used for boating and camping. Which means you’ll encounter a lot of folks who aren’t hikers and who have zero trail etiquette. I passed multiple screaming babies (really? Not a great hike for a baby, people.), large groups of teenagers smoking, screaming, and playing loud music. When I wasn’t passing obnoxious people, I was inundated with gasoline smells from boats, revving boat engines, lakes police yelling at people to slow down, and drunk boaters hollering at me from the water. There were very few wildflowers and almost no wildlife- probably because of the obnoxious noises and heavy foot traffic. My advice: if you’re an avid hiker looking to enjoy a peaceful nature hike- avoid this place like the plague. Also, trailhead to “waterfall” and back is 5 miles. And it’s easy, not moderate.

A well maintained trail With a few good shots of the lake. Less then 7 miles though.

Excellent Trail. Most of the trail is fully covered. Beautiful views on the way.

I thoroughly loved this trail... with the exception of having to turn back about 2.3 miles in because of flooding :( The views of the lake were gorgeous. I saw a few deer <3 Make sure you put on bug spray! Other than the rain, the only thing that was a little annoying was that there were few benches on the trial, and the ones there weren't in great locations. I had placed a book in my backpack in the hopes of finding a nice reading area overlooking the lake, but alas it was not in the cards. However, I loved it so much I hiked it twice in two days! Oh, I also went mid-week during the day... so it wasn't crowded at all (though I read it can be on the weekends)!

This is a good moderate trail with good shade. It was muddy and flooded today but I’ve done it before it’s a great hike.

Great trail; heart rate up; bring water and good shoes. If you are lucky and lake is up and you make it the whole way, you get the treat of the “falls” at the end.

Nice trail that follows the lake after about a mile. Couple of spots to get down to the water and beautiful views. Lots of boat noise on the Sunday I was there. Lots of dogs including mine and people tended to them well. I didn’t see the falls or get to the high grass as we turned back at the 2-mile mark. Will try to get out there soon and get to the falls.

Great hiking trail. Lots of trees and off path trails to follow. Good views of lake also.

Second time that we visited this great trail. We are in love. My wife declared it "Best hiking trail ever" It's a long trail: 26 miles around Lake Georgetown but you can walk as much as you want. This time we went for 10 miles and being Spring there were a lot of flowers and the weather was perfect. Great views of the lake, not many people. Just perfect

great hike, brought our pup. lots of other folks with dogs as well, but all were mindful of their dogs. would definitely come back!

Amazing trail. Enjoyed all of it and can't wait to go back

Stunning views. Great conditions (February 16th) Very well maintained. Recommended. Will come back for sure.

We loved our hike here! We went after a rain so, our shoes got quite muddy but it wasn’t so bad. Such a lovely hike for dogs just make sure you keep them on a leash. To see the waterfall you need to cross a very DIY branch bridge. Our dog had a bit of trouble getting over it. The waterfall isn’t big but the whole hike was really beautiful. We turned around after we saw the falls and all together it was a 5 mile hike. Although this trail is a 26 mile loop with backpacking sites!

Great trail. Nice lake overlooks on the way to the falls, terrain is a little rocky but not bad. Muddy in some spots but easy to navigate. The falls are beautiful but took some off trail skills to see them from a good vantage point. The gardens above the falls were my favorite spot of the day.

Great trail but can be muddy after rains.

Great trail to escape and hike with the pups! Very good trail with plenty of room to walk 3-dogs wide. Trail is great because you get a good deal of variety. You get a mix of rocky (large and small), wooded terrain, and then some nice views of the lake on top of the bluffs. Its not going to challenge you and get your heart rate up very high, but its a decent workout if you keep a good pace.

Went there today... hiked passed the springs to 4 mile marker and back... the springs are wonderful..parts of old rocks houses...

Nice lake views and good mix of rocky, wooded terrain. Trail gets extremely muddy in some spots so bring your water-proofs!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Great technical trail to get some miles in..