Crockett Gardens Falls

Crockett Gardens Falls is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Definitely one of my favorite hikes!!

Rocky, moderate hike, very beautiful hike next to Georgetown Lake. Crocket Falls was beautiful. Bring water and wear the proper hiking shoes

This is my favorite trails. It has beautiful scenery and it's quite and lightly trafficked. absolutely my go to in order to escape from civilization.

Th trail itself is a mixture of about 20% grassy, the rest of it is rather rocky. Some smaller rocks, some larger, none so big you gotta scramble though. When you finally get close to Crockett gardens, you hit mostly grass. It's a rather fun trail, with numerous beautiful scenic views of the lake. But...

_ _ _
I wanted a challenge, so I "re-coned" on Monday, going down all the trails towards the lake. The next day I brought my gps, took coordinates down each trail that met up with the lake. Then at Crockett Gardens, instead of going back down the trail, I walked along the shoreline (to the east, back towards Cedar breaks). VERY rocky: loose rocks everywhere, and some scratchy bushes and driftwood. I had to scramble a little bit, following the shoreline. One spot, an inlet, had me climbing over huge, pointy, cracking, dead, bear tree branches- had to really balance and watch my step and test the strength of the branches under my feet, lest I slip and be impaled by said said branches before possibly hitting jagged rocks beneath. Some spots got me very close to the water, and some loose rocks almost caused me to slide right into the lake. At some points I could've jumped into the Lake and swam around the rock outcropping, but I had my smartphones with me and they're not waterproof. So first I had to do some major scrambling through some bushes, getting all scratched up. But then the next point was "the point of no return"- very steep, slick, and wet. I decided at that point to turn back, find on of the trails leading back to the main trail (thanks to my gps) and tracking around the rock outcropping. I went back down to the lake after the slippery rock outcropping, and the shoreline on that side was not precarious, but rather serene. A nice, peaceful walk (still gotta watch your footing, as it's 99% loose rocks) back to my second GPS point, a few minutes searching for the trail, and I was headed back to my car.

Many boats and jet skies where on the lake, and even a guy in a small kayak fishing, came into the inlet while was trying to avoid falling to the branches and rocks. It was cool to feel as though I was "sharing the trail" with people where where not hiking.

Fun, pretty easy trail. Grassy in parts, so I'd wear pants. Lots of wildflowers. some poison ivy.

Good trail, easy to follow. Bits of poison ivy along the way. Some really nice pic opportunities on the bluffs above the lake.

Great trail with some elevation. The falls are two and a half miles in and well worth the trek. Very scenic!

rocky, beautiful, trail leads to areas of the lake water, only a couple miles to the falls. very gorgeous. just watch your step. very rocky, not great for dogs, shaded trail for most of it. loved it!

Great hike.

About 5 miles if you turn back at the falls. Terrain is pretty technical with a lot of rocks so watch your step. Great views of the lake.

Great scenery and cool terrain. The falls are 2.5 miles from the trail head at Cedar Breaks. So, it is a 5 mile out and back - NOT 7.7 miles as listed.

We will definitely return!

scenic views. great hike. lots of trash and dog poo on trail though.

Good little afternoon or morning hike. Did it with our 6yo kiddo, little scramble in some places but not too bad.
The falls are definitely more interesting than we thought they’d be! Made for a nice payoff and a good place for a snack.

I've been on this trail twice now, and both times I had a blast! Very quiet, low traffic, and very beautiful. Took some nice pictures while I was there.

Trail running here again. If I lived closer to Georgetown, I'd probably run here often.

Trail runners like ups and downs, hills, creek crossings, and other obstacles. This trail has no creek crossings, no big hills and not many ups and downs. But it does have a variety of terrain and terrain obstacles- dirt, leaves, and roots; loose, solid, and sharp rock; foliage creeping in on certain parts of the trail, etc. This place is mostly a good workout for your feet. The bottoms of your feet will be pretty sore after running this if you're not prepared.

One thing that would make the trail better would be a restroom along the way somewhere. There are a few benches, but no doggie bag stations (I've seen a few dogs) and no restrooms. Also the signage is good but a bit old. Still all in all, this trail is good.

As a trail runner, I still really get into the hiking aspect. I like stopping and taking in the views. This place has marvelous views. I like lakes and wide open spaces, so running here and seeing across the lake to the parks and fields on the other side is pretty cool.

great trail for trail running. lots of Sharp rocks so forced you to be on ur tires. good spots to jump in the water too cool off.

there was no waterfall and the lake level was also kinda low so the croquet falls were disappointing

Well worth the hike to the falls. Good scenery and overall trail. But seriously people....pick up your trash!

Awesome hike. I have heard there's a shorter hike for people that don't want to hike the 5.8miles.Its from the backside of the falls. I've hiked up behind the falls and there is a trail but I'm not sure where it goes. The normal 5.8 isn't bad. However once you get close to the falls you have to go through some pretty high grass wich we kind of ran through hoping there wasn't any snakes haha. I think instead of going through the grass you can probably stay along the fence on the falls side and go down the falls.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Nice views of the lake with hardly any challenging ups or downs. VERY rocky terrain so wear good durable shoes and watch your step. Probably not a great trail for small kids. The overlooks are beautiful but aren't fenced at all. Considerable boat noise. Moderately trafficked. We almost got to the falls today, but the last part of the trail was almost completely overgrown with really tall grass that we didn't feel comfortable wading through. Kind of unfortunate as we were really looking forward to it. Dog friendly for the most part, but no poop receptacles. The small stream was no obstacle at this time of year and was barely running. Overall, we'd probably do this trail again. It's free to hike and the people at the gate are very friendly. A map at the trail head would be helpful, as would trail markers.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

A great trail for a quick hike. The diversity in terrain throughout the trail provokes caution as you tread over jagged and slick rock. Quaint streams become surprising rapids after most rains, be ready to get a little wet.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Very nice trail, wide, easy to navigate, good lake views, clean, not busy, enough up and down to make it moderate

Monday, April 24, 2017

Great hike, awesome views of the lake.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Fun!

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Absolutely stunning. A perfect mix of terrain to keep it interesting, along with breathtaking views of the lake. The falls at the end are like nothing I've ever seen before and made for a refreshing swim. Highly recommend.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Was wet so some mud and slippery rocks. Just before we got to the falls, there was a small stream that is probably dry most of the time. We didn't cross so we didn't see the falls. Trail was fun though.

Monday, November 07, 2016

This hike was amazing. You don't have to pay to get into the park if you tell the kind little lady at the front gate that you are just there to hike.
The trail was rocky in some spots. The fall itself was breath taking and definitely worth the hike.

Monday, October 17, 2016

This was a really nice out and back Trail with nice variation in terrain. Nothing steep or too much elevation change. It was very rocky so pay attention to where you walk, don't trip and wear durable hike shoes to protect your feet. No water crossing except one area but it wasn't flowing when crossed. It's nice that the entire Trail is 26 miles long around the whole lake so you'll see a lot of backpackers going from one campground to the next. It's mostly shaded from the Cedar Breaks Park to the falls. Except once you get to the Crockett Falls sign directing you to turn right, it's all grown over. We opted to not go through it. But if you keep walking past that sign there's an opportunity to scramble down a short hill on your right to see the falls by the shore. Very nice!! It takes about 1hr 20min to get there from Cedar Break. Lovely hike!!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Lovely walk, rocky in places. Most people are great about leashing their dogs, though a few people still don't (seriously, people, be considerate of wildlife and people who have dogs who aren't as friendly). Free if you are hiking, just mention it at the window.

Monday, September 26, 2016

beautiful, peaceful

Sunday, September 18, 2016

We only went 1.25 miles in then back, but this was a beautiful hike with some decent elevation to it. There are rocks, gravel, dirt, trees. This hike fed my soul♡ We even met people who left their boat to jump from a ~40ft cliff who gave us advice and lent us their life vests to take the plunge too!