River Trail

River Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Saba, Texas that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

Birders can enjoy viewing some of 155 species of birds found in the park, including specialties such as golden-cheeked warblers, black-capped vireos, and bald eagles. Gorman Falls is an impressive, 60-foot-high waterfall located on the western bank of the Colorado River.

The River Trail is an easy traipse along the river. Uneventful but the river is a nice companion.

Easy trail. Not bad for an afternoon hike

It's a fairly long trail along the river. We took it from our campsite to the falls and back. Not much elevation until you get to the falls. Saw some armadillos too. Bring good shoes for moist environments, otherwise risk blisters!

Lemons Ridge/River/Dogleg Canyon/Cedar Chopper Trails

Not a bad loop. Pretty uneventful and not too interesting. It would have been a lot more fun on a bike. Dogleg Canyon did have some decent views. (And also a lot of trash on trail. I filled my backpack with it!)

My wife and I hiked 9.4 miles on the 4th. Some great scenery , saw about 10.deer and min traffic.
Take lots of water

Thursday, April 13, 2017

lovely walk along the river. they need to clear the trail of plants in one area but otherwise easy.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Very fun trails. Started off at the main lot and walked along the river all the way to Gorman Falls. Gorman Falls are some of the coolest things I've ever seen. Walking back, we took the hill top trails, very nice scenery also. Spent about 6-8 hours at the park.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

All trails are well marked. Dog friendly park with so many great views and swimming. We enjoyed swimming in the springs and could have spent the whole day just doing that! This park also allows for multi day backpacking trips easily a 2 day trip minimum!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Very nice...Lively Loop

Friday, June 24, 2016

Great area in Texas! Hikes several of the offshoot trails as well as Gorman Falls. Moderate trails throughout. Start early and beat the Texas heat. Great trail for Spring and Fall. Summer is not the best time to go!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

After a day hike to Gorman Falls and out into the primitive area for overnight camping, we enjoyed the trail along the river to find our next primitive camping spot. This was so much easier and the view quite different. A hike in the other direction along the river leads to a spring pool. Very refreshing on a hot day!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Hiked out to the falls and out into the primitive backpacking area to camp overnight Springbreak 2014. Was a rough hike for us but the view and the solitude was very much worth it! Other trails to enjoy here as well.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Gormans Fall trail was a bit rocky, was trying to not trip. Best bring your water on the really hot days!!!!

Sunday, April 03, 2016

we walked the Spicewood Springs Trail and the Spicewood Canyon Trail which, I believe is betterthan the Gorman Falls Trail.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

It was well worth it. The back falls trail (clear springs?) is much better than the overcrowded Gorman Falls Trail.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Fun!

Monday, January 18, 2016

We did 2 day hiking trip. First day we did 15.5 miles and camped in backpacking windmill area. Then next day we did a 5.5 miles and hiked to Gorman falls. The falls are a thousand times better in person.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Was fun! We only went down the Gorman Falls Trail part but will be returning again to walk more trails. Falls were pretty! Found a chassis frame of a vehicle along the river bank half way buried in the dirty with tree root growing through it. Wish I knew the story behind it!

Monday, September 07, 2015

The trails are well maintained, and beautiful. We will be going back.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Great hiking experience! Headed down to Gordon Falls to see one of many beautiful views ! it is absolutely breathe taken ng coming down a steep incline. if you have small children like we did , hold them tight and find a hiking stick they can utilize . You can't get into water but we did head up to Gordon springs to dip or feet in . It is super shallow but the ice cold water on the toes did the trick and helped us cool down. From there we made it to the Riverside trail. when they say its unmaintained they mean it. of coarse it was super muddy and at one point I was knee deep and my children waist high. but hey if ya miss ice skating , mud sliding is the next best thing. There was a little water spot to wash the mud off our shoes and legs right after the mud trail so no complaints. Right after we realized we were on the bike trail but there was an awesome cave right off the river bank. Didn't venture to far after seeing evidence of collapse. we did see a nice colony of daddy long legs that acted as one organism. Pretty cool and creepy at the same time.From there we followed the canyon trail which had some amazing views . They do have barb wire fence around except at the very head of canyon where it looks like you could venture down but we did have our 3 and 5 year old with us and at this point they were exhausted ! From that trail we hit the loop and took a left to take us to old Gordon rd that led us back to the falls and treked back on up to the trail head. It was a beautiful hike. Coming back for sure. We brought some tubes to float on river but the water wasn't at reach on the trails we were on and the Colorado looks like mud. but hey its been through some states to join us in Texas! My husband and I carried ten bottles if water each and lasted us 7 hrs with four mouths sipping. Carried some trail mix, granola bars and jerky to keep energy levels high. Wear appropriate shoes and we heard a yuppie exclaim there was no place to refill water bottles. Please remember that there is not and bring adequate supplies. Please don't liter. Carry your trash with you, there is a trash bin at the head of trail at the end to unload! Best way to have spent my birthday! Happy Hiking!

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Gorgeous Gorman Falls

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

This is a great park. I want to get back and camp for a few days to get the full experience. I'd like to hit the caves too. We just hiked the 3 miles to Gorman Falls and hung out by the river. At first, the hike was rocky, but not to hilly, but towards the end by the fall, it descended pretty quickly. I'll try to go via the river trail next time.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Went there Sunday Nov 23. 2014. the park was nice ,not crowded. I stopped by the office to check in and talked with the Lady park ranger who was very helpful and gave me a lot of information on where to hike to see the best views. I will go back to hike a few more trails.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Nice trail and not very crowded at all. Although the descent to the base of the falls is the only difficult part of the 1.5 mile hike, would recommend wearing hiking boots, as the path is pretty uneven getting there. In all, a very nice hike with Gorman Falls a surprisingly beautiful treat!

Friday, May 30, 2014

I enjoyed the hike. Easy then more technical. Steep grade hill down to falls. It was at this point I knew I would need good hiking boots. Went to Gorman Falls in the winter and because of the drought the falls were barely running and the miss on the rocks appeared dead - it was still very peaceful and beautiful

Friday, May 23, 2014

Great experience! Hiked to Gorman Falls and around the spring. Excellent place for taking the dog out for a day of walking. The falls were gorgeous and it wasn't too crowded.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Great park, plan on going again. Rode the river trail, nice easy to moderate trail. Looking forward to seeing the waterfall next time.

Saturday, May 03, 2014

All of the trails are great, some you can find real solitude on. We (my sons and I) have hiked most of the trails in this park. This is my favorite Texas state park it is less than an hour from my home. On April 26th we hiked the newest trail the Tinaja Trail. The three mile trail follows both sides of Gorman Canyon and crosses the canyon at the Tinaja, an outstanding rock feature that usually contains water.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Went to gorman falls today it was beautiful! kinda of a steep grade going down to the falls but well worth the leg workout. I will be going back often.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

I have a 5 and 6 year old took them on both spicewood trails and they loved it. Great scenery parts are difficult for children my advice is to scout ahead and know you and your kids limits.