Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail

Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Clear Creek is a wonderful natural area with about 4 total miles of trail, located northeast of Denton, Texas. It's a lowland preserve that's got a great diversity of plantlife and birds. It is located in the Lake Lewisville upper floodplain, so the trails can get very muddy after a rain and it is best to visit during a dry week. Trails are sometimes well managed and other times totally overgrown.

Walked this trail for the first time last weekend. I've liven in Denton all my life and never knew it was there. Walked about 3.5-4 miles with friends and their kiddos in back carriers. Beautiful scenery and the trails were very easy.

I love this trail! Have hiked here in all seasons. Usually muddy, but always lots of wildlife! Very little traffic. Peaceful and beautiful.

My family hiked the big loop last weekend and really enjoyed it. there is a lot of diversity in wildlife and plants. The wetland trail was practically impassable. At times we were not even sure we were on a trail at all and the reeds were thick and about 8 feet tall. My husband had to carry our 8 year old through the thickest portions and said if we go back he will bring a machete. It was quite the adventure! !
Other trails were much easier and enjoyable for us all...and we didn't see even one other person.

Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad trail but the wetlands portion of the trail is so overgrown it's almost impossible to get through or even identify that it is indeed a trail.

Easy trail; good birding opportunities; waterproof hiking boots are a must during rainy weather.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Thursday, January 14, 2016

All trails partially rained out. Recommend hiking elsewhere till it clears. Watch out for wild hogs... Saw about 30+ tonight. They did not engage.

Friday, November 27, 2015

I was not a huge fan of this hike. We drove up here for a nice family hike. We felt that the trails were poorly marked and that we were guessing on our location from our land navigation skills.

While there is a body of water here you do not get to see it for much of the hike. I was just glad my car was where we parked it and unharmed when we were done with the hike.

Friday, July 03, 2015

I showed up to this trail excited to see what it had to offer and it was closed. Big disappointment.