Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail

Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Clear Creek is a wonderful natural area with about 4 total miles of trail, located northeast of Denton, Texas. It's a lowland preserve that's got a great diversity of plantlife and birds. It is located in the Lake Lewisville upper floodplain, so the trails can get very muddy after a rain and it is best to visit during a dry week. Trails are sometimes well managed and other times totally overgrown.

Very easy, flat trail. There are other connecting routes in the middle and some off-shoots that are not depicted on this map, including one on the far West side that leads to the confluence. If it's rained recently, some trails will be impassable. I hike this trail regularly with my dog and have seen all kinds of creatures, including deer, owls, cranes, one bald eagle sighting back towards the pond, a few snakes, wild hogs, and most recently, a herd of curious cattle that got loose from someone's nearby land (I think they've since been retrieved).

It’s a great and pretty easy trail.

It’s was a very pleasant walk with my dog.

Love the solitude.

Nice little loop.
Trail was pleasurable and well maintained.
Will be hiking again just for the shear convenience.

First trail I’ve been to since moving to Denton and it was very nice

Short 3.3 mile trail, easy, overgrown, muddy.

easy trails. Good for seeing waterfowl

Walked this trail for the first time last weekend. I've liven in Denton all my life and never knew it was there. Walked about 3.5-4 miles with friends and their kiddos in back carriers. Beautiful scenery and the trails were very easy.

I love this trail! Have hiked here in all seasons. Usually muddy, but always lots of wildlife! Very little traffic. Peaceful and beautiful.

Monday, September 12, 2016

My family hiked the big loop last weekend and really enjoyed it. there is a lot of diversity in wildlife and plants. The wetland trail was practically impassable. At times we were not even sure we were on a trail at all and the reeds were thick and about 8 feet tall. My husband had to carry our 8 year old through the thickest portions and said if we go back he will bring a machete. It was quite the adventure! !
Other trails were much easier and enjoyable for us all...and we didn't see even one other person.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad trail but the wetlands portion of the trail is so overgrown it's almost impossible to get through or even identify that it is indeed a trail.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Easy trail; good birding opportunities; waterproof hiking boots are a must during rainy weather.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

All trails partially rained out. Recommend hiking elsewhere till it clears. Watch out for wild hogs... Saw about 30+ tonight. They did not engage.

Friday, November 27, 2015

I was not a huge fan of this hike. We drove up here for a nice family hike. We felt that the trails were poorly marked and that we were guessing on our location from our land navigation skills.

While there is a body of water here you do not get to see it for much of the hike. I was just glad my car was where we parked it and unharmed when we were done with the hike.

Friday, July 03, 2015

I showed up to this trail excited to see what it had to offer and it was closed. Big disappointment.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Clear Creek is a wonderful place to get close to nature. But please be careful of ticks. The ticks a clear creek have Lyme's Disease (including associated co-infections. You have two weeks to start antibiotics after a tick bite or you will have it for life. I took my dog for a walk at clear creek and both got Lyme's disease. The goverment just deamed me 100% disabled. I have been working hard for thw last 3 yrs to get well. Please be so very careful of tick bites.

Saturday, April 04, 2015

This is a great easy trail. There's a lot to look at in a relatively small area: wetlands, river, woods, and a field. It's very quiet and feels secluded - and it doesn't seem to be too popular; we only ran into four or five other people while we were there. There are benches scattered throughout the trail if you get tired - or if you just want to sit and watch the birds. We'll definitely be back.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Love this trail. Different scenic views of a creek, woodland areas, and field. Easy to hike with your four legged friend too. Safe and very enjoyable. Easy Loop design so you really can't get lost.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This place is wonderful! There are so many trails! I went with a friend of mine and our dogs and we were able to let them off leash without worrying about to many people passing us. The dogs enjoyed going down to the creek and swimming. When we were leaving we actually met two of the workers and they were super friendly and loved having us and our dogs there. I will definitely be using this trail a lot!