Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Please note that some of the trails in this area close periodically for flooding. Clear Creek is a wonderful natural area with about 4 total miles of trail, located northeast of Denton, Texas. It's a lowland preserve that's got a great diversity of plantlife and birds. It is located in the Lake Lewisville upper floodplain, so the trails can get very muddy after a rain and it is best to visit during a dry week. Trails are sometimes well managed and other times totally overgrown.

Typically a four star easy trek, but impassable on two trails attempted today. Water is still way up.

Went hiking here three weeks ago. The wetlands portion of the trail was impassable, but we slogged along anyway, thinking it would be better around the next corner. Wound up barefoot the mud was so bad. I'm sure it's great when it's not underwater. We had fun anyway! Saw a beaver and flocks of geese settling in as dusk fell.

Very well maintained trail system. The markings are very visible and correct.

A lot of wild live present- today we had 2 water moccasins cross the trail at different points within feet of us.

Had 4 dogs with us that enjoyed all the smells.

I do wish other dog owners were more considerate and pick up- it is a wildlife area but get your dog waste off the trail.

I love this trail! Mostly shaded not a lot of traffic when I’ve hiked there. Dog friendly and easy to find

Nice for a short getaway in North Denton County. "Beware of Snakes" signs are for real. Crossed a copperhead this morning on our second visit this month.

Great little trail here in Denton, TX. This trail has lots of beautiful vegetation, and a wonderful prairie section of the trail accompanied by a nice hill for a great view. There are bikers on this trail regularly as well as people walking their dogs, but everyone has been friendly and polite. Some of the trails close throughout the year due to flooding from the wetlands portion of the trail so be prepared to skip a few short hikes.

a great trail, beware of snares near water towards the beginning of the trail, but there is a good variety of wildlife. it's also a great local trail for those who live in Denton without having to drive 30-60 minutes away. me and my labrador both love this trail

This is my favorite place to walk in Denton and most of Dallas. Very beautiful with lots of flowers, birds, wildlife. The trails are easy and well-maintained. The area shows off a couple of ecosystems such as wetland and grassland. And it's never been busy whenever I've visited.
Be aware that it gets quite muddy after a good rain. There's also cows that freely roam the area, so don't step in their huge scat piles!

Had some really good sights me and my best friend enjoyed it a lot. Some of the trails were closed. Lots of beautiful wildflowers, frogs, and birds. Will definitely go back :) did have quite a bit of mud!

Do you like mud? Awesome! So do we! We enjoyed a 1h52m hike on the outer loop through all the spectacular zones. Our 3-yr old dachshunds were mudded up, but dont let that stop you from enjoying a really cool hike. Some elevation only in a few places, not continuous. Most of the hike is covered but wear sunblock and spray for the prairies and bog areas. Sufficient parking in several locations.

No restrooms, only a portable potty.

Please pick up after your pets (carry in, carry out).

I took my German Shepard out here to burn some energy and we both loved it. The trails are beautiful. Had one issue.... a ladies dog attacked mine for no reason. Keep your dog on a leash if it isn’t friendly towards other animals.

I enjoyed this trail for running or just out walking your dog

Very easy, flat trail. There are other connecting routes in the middle and some off-shoots that are not depicted on this map, including one on the far West side that leads to the confluence. If it's rained recently, some trails will be impassable. I hike this trail regularly with my dog and have seen all kinds of creatures, including deer, owls, cranes, one bald eagle sighting back towards the pond, a few snakes, wild hogs, and most recently, a herd of curious cattle that got loose from someone's nearby land (I think they've since been retrieved).

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

It’s a great and pretty easy trail.

Monday, December 04, 2017

It’s was a very pleasant walk with my dog.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Love the solitude.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Nice little loop.
Trail was pleasurable and well maintained.
Will be hiking again just for the shear convenience.

Monday, October 16, 2017

First trail I’ve been to since moving to Denton and it was very nice

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Short 3.3 mile trail, easy, overgrown, muddy.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

easy trails. Good for seeing waterfowl

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Walked this trail for the first time last weekend. I've liven in Denton all my life and never knew it was there. Walked about 3.5-4 miles with friends and their kiddos in back carriers. Beautiful scenery and the trails were very easy.

Friday, January 20, 2017

I love this trail! Have hiked here in all seasons. Usually muddy, but always lots of wildlife! Very little traffic. Peaceful and beautiful.

Monday, September 12, 2016

My family hiked the big loop last weekend and really enjoyed it. there is a lot of diversity in wildlife and plants. The wetland trail was practically impassable. At times we were not even sure we were on a trail at all and the reeds were thick and about 8 feet tall. My husband had to carry our 8 year old through the thickest portions and said if we go back he will bring a machete. It was quite the adventure! !
Other trails were much easier and enjoyable for us all...and we didn't see even one other person.

Friday, September 09, 2016

Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad trail but the wetlands portion of the trail is so overgrown it's almost impossible to get through or even identify that it is indeed a trail.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Easy trail; good birding opportunities; waterproof hiking boots are a must during rainy weather.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

All trails partially rained out. Recommend hiking elsewhere till it clears. Watch out for wild hogs... Saw about 30+ tonight. They did not engage.

Friday, November 27, 2015

I was not a huge fan of this hike. We drove up here for a nice family hike. We felt that the trails were poorly marked and that we were guessing on our location from our land navigation skills.

While there is a body of water here you do not get to see it for much of the hike. I was just glad my car was where we parked it and unharmed when we were done with the hike.

Friday, July 03, 2015

I showed up to this trail excited to see what it had to offer and it was closed. Big disappointment.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Clear Creek is a wonderful place to get close to nature. But please be careful of ticks. The ticks a clear creek have Lyme's Disease (including associated co-infections. You have two weeks to start antibiotics after a tick bite or you will have it for life. I took my dog for a walk at clear creek and both got Lyme's disease. The goverment just deamed me 100% disabled. I have been working hard for thw last 3 yrs to get well. Please be so very careful of tick bites.

Saturday, April 04, 2015

This is a great easy trail. There's a lot to look at in a relatively small area: wetlands, river, woods, and a field. It's very quiet and feels secluded - and it doesn't seem to be too popular; we only ran into four or five other people while we were there. There are benches scattered throughout the trail if you get tired - or if you just want to sit and watch the birds. We'll definitely be back.