Chinquapin Loop Trail

Chinquapin Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Huntsville, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mandy, I too logged almost 10 miles on this trail, even though in several different sites it's listed as 6.1-6.8. it is a lovely trail but be prepared for the distance. also wear big spray..I spoke to the ranger at the gate and asked him about the distance, he said no, the trail is not 6ish miles. but I love hiking in this park. Trails are well maintained, and, as a solo female hiker, I've always felt safe.

This was a really well, maintained trail with plenty of shade along the way.
We are beginners but enjoyed the challenge. Elevation was nice, not too hard with roots and turns along the way.

We didn’t bring enough water, lesson learned. It was a great way to connect with nature and found great respect for the peace and beauty of it all.

Towards the very end of the trail we got turned around and took a trail that led to a dead end. We called the park officials and they were kind enough to point us in the right direction. ☺️ We didn’t get a chance to swim but will definitely come back and camp next time.
Very happy trail!! We had the whole place to ourselves. ✌

nice hike, measured 7.5 on app. quiet and in sync with the birds and nature.

Very pleasant trail. Took me awhile to get the hang of the signs at different trail intersections but a great loop around with lots of nature. I saw a lot of tiny frogs along the path. Just remember to bring lots of water!

Beautiful trail! We enjoyed our hike very much and saw butterflies, skinks, and vultures. The only thing I would have liked better is to see more of the lake. Though the trail encircles the lake, there aren't that many places to get a good view of the water.

Loved it. Very rooty, so watch your step.

This is my weekly go to trail for something of a challenge compared to what else is available within an hour's drive of Spring. The lake view in the middle of the loop is always a great visual reward. The Facebook page is updated daily with park conditions and that's super helpful on busy holiday weekends.

The alligators freaked me out a bit but other than that was a nice hike on a pretty day! We somehow ended up doing 10 miles, I think because we started at prairie branch trail.

Easy trail! Not sure why it’s rated as moderate. Muddy in some spots but otherwise the trail is in great condition. It’s mostly a shaded trail which was nice. We saw a snake and a javelina. Seems to be a lot of mountain biking on this trail so just keep a heads up as most of them didn’t shout out to let you know they were behind/in front of us.

Nice leisurely hike. Views are ok, mostly think piney woods but a fun hike on a nice day. Lots of people, all were very nice. Definitely an easy rating.

Check the maps on location before starting this hike. Over half was closed but it was a nice trail the parts we used.

Trail was partly closed due construction,...but im stupid and road around the barrier or sign and road the 7.1 miles on Thanksgiving weekend 2017. I just got a new specialized bike and there was a lot of roots but if you have a good bike you can go over them pretty easily especially if you're younger. I'm 48 and little bit overweight LOL. But I still can get over these roots pretty easily. Great workout for me. I wish people would post their age on here to tell how difficult the trail is. Obviously a person 25 years old and 185 lb is going to ride this Trail like it's nothing. Me I enjoyed it and it took some really good effort to get over some of the spots. You have a great time on this Trail.

Loved it! ❤️

Friday, August 18, 2017

Lots of roots !

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Amazing hiking! I'll come back for sure!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

There was a lot of construction on the trail.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Great trails. Clean and offers different challenges. Only down fall now is some routes not available due to construction/repairs. Great overall experience for most levels.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Took my daughter here for her first state park hike and she loved it. Before you go, call the park. you can only do an out and back on this trail due to construction on the spill way. We ended up hiking around 8 miles. Saw 2 deer, frogs, plenty of spiders across the trail, and an eagle. enjoyed the quiet hike and will return when we can complete the loop.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Moderately technical. Small hills add interest. Winding and fun!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

it is a beautiful hike.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Be sure to call Huntsville State Park about trail closures!

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Great hike in a good challenge. Be aware part of the trail was closed on February 9, 2017. Just cut out the most scenic part of the trail if you're coming from the trailhead going counterclockwise. Well marked in a good trail.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Trails well marked and easy to follow. There are lots of other trails to take if you want more or less miles to hike. We didn't see much wildlife as park was packed with people. Enjoyable hike in the outdoors as scenery changes often.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great quick trip from BCS. Well maintained trails and lots of picnic areas. Very easy walks, great for families and children.

Monday, October 17, 2016

We drove over an hour to try out this trail and it was well worth it! Great for intermediate mountain bikers. I recorded over 11 miles of trails. Saw a couple rattlesnakes so be cautious but overall amazing experience!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Enjoyed ride several trails to ride. Easy to hard. I want back in May 2016. After a bad storm come thru trees down everywhere made it a lot harder

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Awesome!!!!

Friday, September 23, 2016

Sandy in areas and the Chinquapin Trail was halfway closed due to flooding by the dam. We hiked about 6 miles on a day that was scattered showers so it was extremely humid in September. We loved the trail though.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Need a couple port o-lets