Chinquapin Loop Trail

Chinquapin Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Huntsville, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy trail! Not sure why it’s rated as moderate. Muddy in some spots but otherwise the trail is in great condition. It’s mostly a shaded trail which was nice. We saw a snake and a javelina. Seems to be a lot of mountain biking on this trail so just keep a heads up as most of them didn’t shout out to let you know they were behind/in front of us.

Nice leisurely hike. Views are ok, mostly think piney woods but a fun hike on a nice day. Lots of people, all were very nice. Definitely an easy rating.

Check the maps on location before starting this hike. Over half was closed but it was a nice trail the parts we used.

Trail was partly closed due construction,...but im stupid and road around the barrier or sign and road the 7.1 miles on Thanksgiving weekend 2017. I just got a new specialized bike and there was a lot of roots but if you have a good bike you can go over them pretty easily especially if you're younger. I'm 48 and little bit overweight LOL. But I still can get over these roots pretty easily. Great workout for me. I wish people would post their age on here to tell how difficult the trail is. Obviously a person 25 years old and 185 lb is going to ride this Trail like it's nothing. Me I enjoyed it and it took some really good effort to get over some of the spots. You have a great time on this Trail.

Loved it! ❤️

Lots of roots !

Amazing hiking! I'll come back for sure!

There was a lot of construction on the trail.

Great trails. Clean and offers different challenges. Only down fall now is some routes not available due to construction/repairs. Great overall experience for most levels.

Took my daughter here for her first state park hike and she loved it. Before you go, call the park. you can only do an out and back on this trail due to construction on the spill way. We ended up hiking around 8 miles. Saw 2 deer, frogs, plenty of spiders across the trail, and an eagle. enjoyed the quiet hike and will return when we can complete the loop.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Moderately technical. Small hills add interest. Winding and fun!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

it is a beautiful hike.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Be sure to call Huntsville State Park about trail closures!

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Great hike in a good challenge. Be aware part of the trail was closed on February 9, 2017. Just cut out the most scenic part of the trail if you're coming from the trailhead going counterclockwise. Well marked in a good trail.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Trails well marked and easy to follow. There are lots of other trails to take if you want more or less miles to hike. We didn't see much wildlife as park was packed with people. Enjoyable hike in the outdoors as scenery changes often.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great quick trip from BCS. Well maintained trails and lots of picnic areas. Very easy walks, great for families and children.

Monday, October 17, 2016

We drove over an hour to try out this trail and it was well worth it! Great for intermediate mountain bikers. I recorded over 11 miles of trails. Saw a couple rattlesnakes so be cautious but overall amazing experience!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Enjoyed ride several trails to ride. Easy to hard. I want back in May 2016. After a bad storm come thru trees down everywhere made it a lot harder

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Awesome!!!!

Friday, September 23, 2016

Sandy in areas and the Chinquapin Trail was halfway closed due to flooding by the dam. We hiked about 6 miles on a day that was scattered showers so it was extremely humid in September. We loved the trail though.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Need a couple port o-lets

Sunday, September 04, 2016

It was OK... Views of the lake in a few spots was awesome... We were hiking the trail... Lots of mountain bikers... Which wasn't bad... But I have no idea how the mountain bikers managed all of the roots and limbs in the trail...

Overall... I really enjoyed it... I'll do it again

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Nicest place near Houston to actually hike

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

My favorite trail. There are multiple trails, not just this one. Bring a hydration pack or bottles of water. Great camping . No alcohol in park.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

It was fantastic, just what I was looking for.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Beautiful, quiet, and peaceful! Very shaded and great for hiking with pup! Make sure to bring lots of water and put on bug spray. Trail was very well-marked and was an overall awesome experience! Would do it again for sure!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I did both the Chinquapin Loop and the CCC Trail. This particular trail shown is the CCC. The Chinquapin Loop runs slightly parallel and inside of the CCC loop. The two combined is somewhere in the 16-17 mile neighborhood. Mostly forest with shade. Plenty of wildlife. Overall, very pleasant experience. It was very hot on the day that I went, but the shade kept it bearable. Bring water with you.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

had a good hike too longer then we wanted but it was hot so we took our time...

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Lovely park, lovely trails. I planned to do the Chinquapin Loop, but was turned back at the southernmost tip where it follows the CCC trail. They're doing some kind of construction and wouldn't let me walk through. The park ranger was going to give me a ride past the construction to the other side, but he said it was littered with downed trees and he didn't recommend it. I decided to pass. Too bad the ranger at the front office didn't know that. I asked about the condition of the trail and was told there might be a few downed trees but it was passable. Apparently the park HQ doesn't know about the construction? Really?