Cedar Brake Trail

Cedar Brake Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dallas, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice area and hike. I am new to hiking but in good shape, and Im so mad I just discovered this place...

This is my favorite place (so far) in NTX to trail run! So many challenging elevation changes, the air smells like cedar, it’s scenic, and I love encountering other runners on the trail. Bring real supportive trail running shoes!, even if you’re hiking, this loop is not for the faint of heart. Great bird watching & place to get your heart rate elevated.

Love this place ❤️

excellent trails, can be very crowded. the easiest of the 3 lines is probably still a bit difficult for a first time rider. great area and scenery.

Awesome place, pretty crowdedon weekends.

Beautiful cedar trail with birds and vistas.

Slightly experienced people would definitely call this an easy-moderate difficulty trail. The cedar brake trail specifically is the longest of a series of small trails in the cedar nature preserve. The loop itself is 1.9 miles with the access trail adding about 0.4 miles to the total hike. The cedar brake loop branches off to a less-than-spectacular lookout area about 3/4 of the way through. The main trails have quite a bit of traffic but it thins out farther into the cedar brake trail.

good trail for our location. definitely will get your heart pumping as there are a couple of decent ascents/ descents.

Definitely the best trail in the area! This trail has multiple trails on it that were easy to navigate and included beautiful scenery. Lots of incline that kicked my butt. We went on the weekend and there were a lot of people. The only thing I didn’t like was we almost stepped on a rattlesnake, but that’s nature for you! There were many signs warning to watch for snakes. Other than being traumatized by my encounter with the devils serpent (lol) I will definitely go back! AND IT WAS CLEAN!!! Very little trash laying around.

I'm not sure why cottontail is hard and this is moderate, but they are both great. Lots of steep elevation so wear good supportive shoes.

Enjoyed the views - a nice, short hike to get away from the city.

Good hike.. enjoyed it

I would rate this as moderate, not difficult, as someone who hikes often. But I think for this area, which is pretty flat, it could be considered difficult. Though this loop is only about 2 miles, there are a lot of trails off of it that can easily make your hike as long as you like. Some pretty views, the trails are very clean and well marked. I would go again if I was in the area.

To me, this the best trail in Dallas - Ft. Worth. Challenging and quite surprising if you've never been here. I started coming here back in the 90s web it was the little-known Dallas Nature Center. It's still as naturally beautiful as ever, but these days, there are a LOT of folks out here on any decent weather weekend, so solitude is a thing of the past. If you have a schedule that allows, or a day off, come on a weekday.

excellent trail for being in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. a lot of steep inclines and drops make this trail and it's sister trail cattail pond worth doing. I actually do both trails together. You will not be bored. my work has me off for extended periods and when I am off I walk this daily. When you combine the two my exersise app shows it is 4 miles and total climbing elevation if you combine all the up and downs is 826 steep climbing ft

App says 250ft elevation change—thing is you do that over and over! More up and down then I expected but was a Blast! Much respect to the folks that were running this trail!!

Great trail

wooded and easy to follow trail, decent outlook spot, overall very nice trail I'd call it more moderate.

This one kicked me in the backside! I’m just now getting back in to hiking and should have done a much easier trail. I was not ready for the up and down climbing. I’ll try this one again in a few months after a bit more conditioning!

This was an easy trail, but getting to the actual trail was a little tricky. You first have to take Cattail Pond Trail, and that leads to Cedar Brake Trail. Lots of the photos above are actually of Cattail Pond, which is NOT the same as Cedar Brake. For anyone who wants to do a sunrise/sunset hike (which is what we aimed to do), I recommend taking Cattail Pond Trail instead of Cedar Brake. All in all, nice morning hike.

Nice

This is the trail to take if you want to escape the crowds on the Cattail Pond trail. I would rate this as moderate rather than hard, but it does have a couple of decent climbs. That said, it's probably the most challenging trail at the Preserve.

For hikers with dogs, keep a close lookout for copperheads.

Great trail with lots of tree cover. I don't know if I would rate this as Hard but it's definitely not easy. Nice creeks to cross and a little uphill climbing to do.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Good trail for a crossfit run with a balance of steps and varied terrain to vary your pace.

Friday, June 23, 2017

I think this is as good as it gets in the Dallas area! Usually crowded on nice days with a mix of hikers, runners and dogs.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bluebonnet Trail
22Jun 17/5:00 pm
98% shaded trail.
Trail loops.
9/10 mile.
Some mild inclines. Trail is very clearly marked. Has a rain shed, a lookout hut, and a few benches along the way. Even for a mildly hot Dallas day this trails shade was amazing.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

1st hike and it was awesome!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Living in downtown Dallas, this is my getaway. I go here before most people have woken up and it's quiet and serene. If you wait much past 8 am on weekends, it's the place to be apparently. The best run I've had there was a rainy morning and maybe only saw 1 or 2 other people once out on the trail. It's definitely a good, challenging run in a unexpected location.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Visited on a Saturday a few months ago and though there were lots of people in the resting/trailhead area, we didn't encounter as many of them on the trail we chose (several options). It was rather empty and the reason we figure this happened was because it was as the longer distance trail. It was perfect, very challenging. We eventually got to an area with a pond where we sat and rested, and also a tower we were able to climb and have a view of what I believe is Joe Pool Lake.