Cedar Brake Outer Loop

Cedar Brake Outer Loop is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Glen Rose, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Glen Rose, TX: Travel 4 miles west. Take US Highway 67 to FM 205 for 4 miles to Park Road 59; then go one mile to the headquarters. There is an honor box located at headquarters for collecting fees after office hours.

recorded Cedar Brake Outer Loop

Loved it! Super easy and lots to look at! I got a little turned around at the second river crossing. I def recommend a hat and lots of sunblock if going in the summer, as there are long stretches with no trees. I personally wouldnt take the entire outter loop during the summer.

Good training loop with some elevation intensity surrounding the river. Beware of water levels and gear yourself accordingly! Early spring water temps were frigid, but fun. Also, mind the maps and your direction towards the rear of the park. We walked right into a neighboring campsite, as these primitive locations are dotted along the trails, but very discretely!

We had a great time hiking this trail at Dinosaur Vally. The trail starts out with a water crossing and ends with one. When we were there, it was inevitable that we would get our feet wet. Either bring water shoes or be willing to take your shoes and socks off to cross. After the water crossing, you’ll go through some rocky terrain surrounded by trees. Lots of shade for a few miles. The trail opens up a bit as you walk along the property line of the park and some private land. There will be a few miles of no shade as well. The outer loop goes a little over eight miles but there are several different trails that weave in and out of the loop. Trails were well kept even in February. Lots of foot traffic and a few bicyclists. Didn’t see hardly any trash either. Very well kept.

Great backpacking trail with great hiking.

It was a nice stroll. I gave it 4 stars in the context of what is available within a short drive of DFW (not much). The river was running strong when I came out, so be aware this trail may involve 2 river crossings with water up to mid-calves.

Fun loop. I like it better in the winter: fewer people, cold, grey skies. A dusty doubletrack in places so look out for bikers if you're walking. Dog-friendly, kid-friendly, bring water. I usually walk with a small tarp during the summer as brief but heavy summer rains are definitely a thing.

Good trail and when you add the heat it's a very good workout. From car back to car my watch recorded just under 9 miles in 3 hours 50 minutes. Very rocky with lots of up and down and about half was shaded during the am.

Nice trail, not too demanding. Lots of long stretches without shade, which was an issue when we hiked on a hot afternoon.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Gorgeous views! Challenging hike climbs along the Outlook trail. Some Narrow challenging trails along river bed, Paluxy River trail for my 10 year old doggie, but she’s a trooper & kept up the whole 4 miles

Monday, March 26, 2018

My 7 y/o daughter has recently decided she really enjoys hiking (score), so we decided to hit up DVSP as it's only about 25 min from the house. Although we stuck to the easier/shorter trails for the first visit, they were just challenging enough that we both broke a sweat and got a good workout.

The trails are well-marked, the ranger-guided tours are highly informative, and the scenery is beautiful. We especially enjoyed being able to cool our feet in the river before heading out. And let's not forget the dinosaur tracks. Nothing like stepping back 130 million years on a Sunday morning.

We will definitely be back...

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Great trail. Best to go in cooler weather. There are several stretches with no shade. A large portion of the trail is rocks so wear good shoes. Cool dinosaur tracks in the water.

Monday, March 05, 2018

I didn't particularly like following against someone's property, especially a deer hunting box. The views down into the valley are pretty solid though.

Monday, February 05, 2018

Clean trail lots of different trails to chose from. The longest is 7.5 miles. Not to challenging but a good walk. I grew up in west Texas and the terrain is much like home. I liked the walk in primitive camping areas. Very private getaway.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Loved this hike. We went in November very beautiful!

Monday, December 04, 2017

Fun for kids, most of the tracks are in the water though so plan to go when it's warmer. Water is surprisingly clean/clear, suitable for kids to play in without fear that they will grow a third arm or something.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

good trail but it is longer than 7.52 miles that the park map says. there is shade a good part of the trail and you do some climbing as well. end of the trail is mostly grassy terrain. make sure to bring a carb snack and plenty of water. my dogs feet pads got sore over the many miles of rocky trails. so, make sure your dog has dog booties.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Beautiful area. The trail is a bit more than the stated 7.1 miles, my watch recorded 7.6. As others mentioned, there is a stream to cross so plan for that. Not sure why others say the trails are not clearly marked, I thought they were well marked with plenty of signs and arrows.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Good hike. Wish tge trails where better identified.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Great hike at the rivers edge

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Took our water-loving GSD for a hike here. Lots of opportunity to wade in the river, which was a great way to cool off. Bring towels and shoes that will handle slippery rocks. Wish that the trail maps were a little more straightforward. The dino tracks are super cool and easy to find and see. Because the park is so family-friendly, it does tend to get pretty crowded.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great place to take your family!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Super Cool! Actual dino prints. Wicked awesome views on some of the trails.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

The review is specifically for the trail to The Lookout. It is difficult, a short trail but quite a change in elevation. Parking is the next entrance/ lot just past the picnic/restrooms section, it is the main Dinosaur Tracks area #2 I think. It starts across the river. You will get wet, try about 20ft downstream barefoot if the big rocks are too slick for you.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Love the view. There are some awesome trails that will have really beautiful overlooks and nice to take a break and enjoy the view and sound of the Paluxy River.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

My family loved crossing the river! This has been one of the best hikes in Texas for us. The line to get in the park went quickly and the trails were all clearly marked.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

We enjoyed it. The worst part is starting out with wet feet but they can't do a lot about that without building a bridge which would probably cause a whole host of problems. Bring a small towel and plan on going across barefoot.

The hike was fairly challenging for TX and provided plenty of pretty views. There are a few different options which was great. The first day we felt great and went on a little longer than we expected to and the second day we got tired and were able to cut it short.

We went during spring break and camped. Call and reserve a camping spot early during this week. It was busy busy! Monday wasn't too bad. We ran into maybe 5 other groups out on the back trails.

We started out really early Tuesday and didn't start seeing people until we got closer to the waterfall and overlook on our way back in. There were people all over the main cross over site and a line of cars coming in as we left at noon.

We definitely plan to come back and try camping at one of the spots out on the trails. They were all pretty and secluded.

Monday, February 06, 2017

This place has a great selection of hiking and primitive camping sites along with multiple scenic areas. I'm not an expert in hiking/camping, but I tend to look for more aggressive areas to explore and this place kept me entertained. I plan on camping in the primitively areas in the upcoming weeks.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

My garmin had the trail At 8.1 miles quite a but up and down nice hike

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Decent trail fast hike, run, or bike ride. Didn't really see any interesting sights to slow down for. You will have to cross the Paluxy river twice. And if you go by the colored trail park map be careful in the south west area. They improperly painted the 'Cedar Brake Outer Loop' (dark red) the color used for 'Black-capped Vireo' trail color (dark green)