Cattail Falls

Cattail Falls is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Because this is off the beaten trail, It is recommend starting from the parking lot. if you have a high-clearance vehicle there is a rough road that will shorten the hike. From the paved road to the parking lot is only about 1.2 mile away, so it is still an option if you have a low-clearance vehicle, making this a 5.5 mile hike instead.

Beautiful hike, however watch out for the African honey bees who have made the arroyos their home! There were so many buzzing above us that we couldn’t go to the end of the trail. Better safe than sorry with those aggressive bees!

lovely even though the waterfall was flowing slowly. very green and lush. quite a surprise after the desert hike.

Fun trail, interesting views of different landscapes. I didn't see any wildlife but I was very glad to have my bear bells jingling on my pack- especially where the vegetation is very dense and lush nearer to the falls. The dirt road is now gated so we parked and started from the main road.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017